Lets see YOUR space engineers projects

Tuxedoman

Apr 16, 2009
For those of you who don't know what Space Engineers is, its a game that has just entered early access on steam, and it is fantastic. Basically if you cross Garrys mod, Minecraft and your favorite space sim together you get Space Engineers.

Here's a trailer for further information. Note that only creative mode is around right now, so resources and repairs don't really exist just now.

I've had a blast with it. I spent two hours learning the ropes, then making my ship. It started off as something like this.

Slight run in with an asteroid. I can buff out those dents, no worries.

And ended up something like this

... Well, there goes my floor. And cockpit. And everything else.

So, friends, I ask those of you who have played this game which is brimming with potential, what grand structures and ships have you built? Mines fairly destroyed so I'll go off and start a new project, but I'm curious to see other people's.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well it's the first time I hear of it but it does look damn good for what they got.
Can you give us a rundown of current features, how does the building/resources/flying/combat work?

I definitely want to play this in the future but grinding my teeth on unfinished projects is not something I'm willing to do anymore.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I'll wait a while until it is out of early access, but it looks kind of amazing. I mean, LOOK AT IT. ITS SPACE MINECRAFT CROSSED WITH A SPACE FLYING SIM. HOW COULD I NOT LOVE THIS?

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Haven't actually made anything significant yet apart from a few small ships...but it's absolutely awesome and I can tell I'm going to end up playing hundreds of hours of this.

Mr.K. said:
Well it's the first time I hear of it but it does look damn good for what they got.
Can you give us a rundown of current features, how does the building/resources/flying/combat work?

I definitely want to play this in the future but grinding my teeth on unfinished projects is not something I'm willing to do anymore.
Combat is currently disabled & you can only play in creative mode. As for building it's basically like minecraft in that you pick blocks, and the only that differs is you can add several in a line & rotate blocks. Flying is really easy with the default small ship, I found the large ship a bit unwieldy, but it is awesome that it's even possible to drive it.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
This looks pretty neat, but I will need to be out of alpha/beta development before I get into it.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
If I listen closely to the trailer I can just about hear my grades, social life and physical state deteriorating rapidly...

but seriously if this is as epic as it looks and will one day turn into a finished product then I'm certainly interested.

Can the OP enlighten us with a small list of pros and cons so far? Any game breaking glitches as of yet?

EDIT: What's the level of freedom with ship design? Could I make a giant melon statue and expect it to fly?

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
I'm interested, but it just concerns me that it's from the same devs as Miner Wars, I have not heard particularly flattering things about them.

Still, I shall be keeping my eye on it for sure.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
piinyouri said:
This looks pretty neat, but I will need to be out of alpha/beta development before I get into it.
Just this post. Until it's out of Beta, it's KSP and Dota 2 for me.

Sep 14, 2009
Lord Kloo said:
If I listen closely to the trailer I can just about hear my grades, social life and physical state deteriorating rapidly...

but seriously if this is as epic as it looks and will one day turn into a finished product then I'm certainly interested.

Can the OP enlighten us with a small list of pros and cons so far? Any game breaking glitches as of yet?

EDIT: What's the level of freedom with ship design? Could I make a giant melon statue and expect it to fly?
haha definitely this, my heart was pumping faster and faster as i watched the trailer, til the point of "er mer gerd" levels gave me a heart attack :(

for real though, once this is a finished product i will be 100% interested, hopefully in the near near future they are out of beta with it.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Considering how much of my life I've committed to Kerbal Space Program already, how is space Engineers better/different?

I'm not trying to be an asshole, actually. I'm just curious what this massive space engineering game that's in alpha has over KSP to justify the time/money.

Has anyone played both to compare them?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
ResonanceSD said:
piinyouri said:
Just this post. Until it's out of Beta, it's KSP and Dota 2 for me.
KSP is in beta... just saying.

Dalisclock said:
Considering how much of my life I've committed to Kerbal Space Program already, how is space Engineers better/different?

I'm not trying to be an asshole, actually. I'm just curious what this massive space engineering game that's in alpha has over KSP to justify the time/money.

Has anyone played both to compare them?
From what I can see (haven't played Space Engineers) you don't have to consider the atmosphere and gravity in order to get into space which leaves you more of a position to create space ships from science fiction. You also have to build the ship as a person rather than simply picking parts and placing them where they should go. Basically it's more of a crossover with Minecraft if I am not misunderstanding.

I also think this is a lot less realistic than Kerbal Space Program and you probably won't have to deal with gravity from planets when flying. I think this will be a lot different, but I can't be sure.

OT: I'll tip my friend about this. He's clocked more than 50 hours in Kerbal Space Program (he also played before it hit Steam so he's actually played a lot more than that) so this will probably be right up his alley.