Let's talk about old games as if they were brand new!

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Guys you seen this thing called a mechanical screen video contraption game! It basically makes what you do in the real world appear on your television screen! You can be controlling a tennis racket as you duke it out with one of your friends in an epic visually stunning session of tennis. All whilst in your own living room! It might seem a bit mind boggling that you can do all that indoors! But you can with the new mechanical screen video contraption game from magnavox!

David Bjur

Hazy sucks, Daystar Moreso
Nov 21, 2011
Oh, man have anyone played Tetris? It's like stacking boxes, but 500 times better! Nothing beats stacking boxes!

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I just finished Sonic the Hedgehog 3. Holy crap is this game fun! Tails returns and now he can aid you by flying you to places that Sonic can't reach. That freaking Knuckles is annoying though. Steals your Chaos Emeralds, and keeps springing traps on you. Every act ends with a mini-boss and some of them are actually challenging. Game is responsive. Hell, Sonic even goes snowboarding at the start of one level. How cool is that? And finally the save feature. It's not the first game with an actual save feature, but it's still rare, and has a large number of "slots", too. Wouldn't it be cool if more games featured a save system?

With this under his belt, I can only imagine what Sonic's future looks like.

Greni

Jun 19, 2011
Hell yeah! Carmageddon II: Apocalypse Now is out! I loved the first one, now excuse me while I kill zombies with electricity and listen to Iron Maiden.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Don't get me wrong, Mario was a really good game but i don't think it's going to be successful. I mean, yeah, the gameplay is as good as it get's but it's just too weird for most people. I mean, why does a plumber rescue the princess? Why is the villain a turtle-dragon thing? Why does he shoot fire when he's found a flower? Are those mushrooms a reference to drugs? There's some pretty surreal stuff in there, sure, it will gain a cult following but the mainstream will just not get it... I'm sure Miyamoto has a great career in front of him but he needs to create more accesible games.

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
Did you see that there game thats based off dat E.T movie coming out next month. Oh, phenominal! My only gripe is the graphics are a bit to realistic and the gameplay might be a bit too fast paced for what I'm used to.

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfyDk5iXwi4&feature=related[/link]

Encentrik

Nov 11, 2011
I recently bought this game called Soulcaliber II for the Gamecube; why the Gamecube? It has Link in it! Link! The fighting system is fun and engaging with each character having their own personal weapon and ways to use them. Although Link has the cheapest grab of all time, that can ring out players with ease. Other than that, the "campaign" is short like most fighting games but playability between friends is endless.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Guys, you HAVE to go play Rock N Roll Racing!! It's so awesome, best soundtrack ever! Not to mention the fast racing action and tons of upgrading.

I think Blizzard will definitely be known as the king of racing games. Can't wait for their next one!

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
The New Pokemon Red and Blue series is coming out in a few weeks.
Nintendo has added a completly new battle system into this RPG style game were you play yourslef as a trainer and battle your way to become the Pokemon Champion!
New sound and innovative play also involves multiplayer to an extent never seen on the Gameboy before.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Punch You said:
KoToR 2 is awesome! The beginning was boring, but after that this game is even better than the first one! I haven't finished it yet, but I doubt the ending could be so disappointing that it brings the whole game down...
I'm laughing very hard right now. But also kind of want to cry.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Super Mario 64 on the Nintendo 64

I found Super Mario 64 to be a bold step forward moving from 2D to 3D. The gameplay is so much better. When I unlocked the wingcap I must of spent an hour or two just flying around. The swooping and gliding I never had that much fun on the old 2D Mario. Sadly nothing new with the story. Bowser does what he does best kidnapping the Princess and it's up to Mario to save her. I was disappointed that there was no multiplayer. The two player duel mode would have been awesome in the new 3D world. I hope the seris keeps up with the good work. If you have never played a Mario game start now. If your a long time fan there is no reason to stop now.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
Aethren said:
I hear Dungeon Keeper's getting a sequel, bet it'll be garbage. Those sequels never turn out decent, though given the source material, I suppose anything would be better than the original.
Speaking seriously, you got 2 seconds to tell me why do you mean by "Given the source material, I suppose anything would be better than the original" Does that mean that Molineux was tripping balls and delusional back then too and just the saving grace of a executive saved the series of becoming something else??

Besides, the sequel even if it was handed by another team than the original i still applaud some choices made like:
1)My Pet Dungeon mode, where you have lots of space to make your ideal dungeon.
2) The skirmish maps that you can play offline.
3) the patch allows you to replay each campaign lvl anytime you want.
4) Added the stun effect when you drop creatures on the ground to balance the fact that you could make hit and run tactics with 8 warlocks in DK1 and win almost every time (after all, just a few monsters had the reflect spell)
5) Lots of new traps to play with
6) Your mileage may vary, but not getting experience when using a possessed creature may count as a balancing option just because of the sheer overpower that some creature's ability have

And now for the shitty "features":
1) The music doesnt belong in a Dungeon Keeper game (its not bad, it just not atmospheric like the original)

2) the ranged monsters are a fucking joke compared to the original game to the point that is insulting for anyone intelligence. I know what you are gonna to say "well, that its because you need lots of them to rain death upon your enemies" How cute, except that the game considers 1 Warlock to be the same value as 1 Diabolo.....i mean to 1 Black Knight or 1 Bile Demon or 1 Dark Angel and those are insanely overpowered to the point that 1 of them can squash 4 or 5 in less than 1 strike each. The only ranged attacks that are actually usefull are Lighting (because it can stun), Freeze and Drain (because deal an ABSURD amount of damage of any proyectile in the game AND can replenish the caster health)

3) Possesion spell mode is unbalanced by useless or overpowered abilities. For example:

A)You can use your melee attack to nullify projectiles (making ranged enemies even MORE useless unless its an insta hit attack like Lightning)
B)Your melee range reach during possession is actually more longer than the rest of the non-possesed-creatures making your creature the most dangerous thing in the universe given time to kill every enemy in the game by hit and run tactics that is even worse than the 8 Warlocks trick in Dungeon Keeper 1. Because of that, you can posses a Imp (who doesnt cost that munch of mana to mantain) and slowly kill everyone by running in circles while they slowly try to get into position to kill you
C)Pick Up Imp Skill is useless because its supposed to pick up enemies Dwarfs/Imps and use it as protectiles to damage the victim and kill the proyectile used........but only works on YOUR imps
D)The Trolls and Bile Demons and Giants ability to destroy any trap they are in reach by tapping the 0 from the keypad >>> several times until its destroyed could have been instead been used only by the Trolls to ensure a balance and making the Trolls more valuable in the long run to compensate for their low hp and category in the food chain
E) Vampire's Hypnosis its a insta win. At lvl 1 you can posses one and use hypnosis on a enemy army and watch as they kill their comrade in seconds, cast Hypnosis again (because it has NO cooldown) on another strong enemy and repeat until there is no opposition left.

4)The amount of mana/manufacture/research points its illogical. Allow me to explain (its more easy to notice if you have the latest patch of DK2 to see the numbers): Pick a Skeleton of lvl 1 and make him pray in the temple, he does around 12 per turn, right?? ok so you think that making him lvl 4 will make him get more mana per turn right?? You do so and guess what?? he does 7 per turn................Le fuk?? you try to lvl up the skeleton to lvl 6 and now does like 16 per turn so its ok, but why start high and then low and then high mana again??? You can try this on monsters more compatibles with the temple and you notice that they DO make more mana but its the same logic as before when they reach lvl 4. Hell, even my lvl 1 trolls mare a more efficient job making traps at lvl 1 than when they are lvl 4

Well, that its my "review" of DK2 game.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
I just saw the future.

They say gaming wouldn't be the same after this game, but I laughed it off. Now I have finished playing Ecstatica and I know they are right.

First, a word about the graphics: They are INCREDIBLE. Cutting edge technology, pure unrestricted freedom 3D. Alone in the Dark may have pushed the 3D envelope, but Ecastica gives it a run for its money. Oval polygons allow for smooth animations, and god does this game require it. The visual aesthetics are also plain but well executed, playing to the medieval, minimalistc setting.

The game's command of pacing and atmosphere is masterful. You start as an adventurer with no name or history who wonders into a village that's rendered isolated due to a bridge collapse. While other games have to rely on plot-convenient amnesia or a shoe-horned back story, Ecstatica just renders the concept useless because it doesn't matter who you are and what you did. It just matters that you are in this village and can't get back.

The village has been ransacked by supernatural beasts. If this phrase conjured the thoughts of hordes of minions razing the place, think again. Oversized hords are too damn inconvenient to carry around, logistics and soldiers pay be damned. Your foes can be counted by the fingers of 2 hands. The actual dangerous foes 1 hand.

The game has uniform lighting representing a sunny midday. Colours are bright and cheerful. And yet it's the most disquieting place you'll ever visit. Because as someone is yet to put, Ecstatica is about the opressing dread of being truly alone. You will have a couple of confrontations with some very hard monsters and a couple of easily dealt-with threats. By the time you have aqquired a weapon, you won't doubt your ability to survive them. But then you'll find the werewolf.

The werewolf is, without a doubt, the pinnacle of gameplay for many years to come. Games have developed plenty of ways to intimidate the player. Hordes of low level enemies. A few overpowered enemies that require great skill to overcome. Even Immortal enemies that can't be fought and must be avoided at all costs. The Werewolf is none of that.

The werewolf is probably the very first enemy you will encounter. Mostly because it will encounter you. He will stalk you, ambush you and pursue you whenever he can. He will jump at you from rooftops, he will wait behind the next corner, he'll be ALWAYS there. In a day were incipient AI experiments make enemy soldiers have their paths cut-off by 1-foot-high clutter or running against brick walls, the feeling of relentless hunting this character conveys is incredible. He can be killed, and indeed it can happen the very first time you meet it. Except you won't be able to. Both of you hit extremely hard and become weak and limp if hit too much, so fleeing is always a tempting option. Except if you turn your back too soon. Every encounter is a struggle for survival that you have to barely escape - without knowing if you'll have to repeat it them after the next turn. And the next.

In this age of mindless Doom clones and goofy clicky graphical adventures, Ecstatica does offer you something especial: The feeling of agency and empowerment that comes with being the Hero of the Day that fends off the supernatural threat coupled with the tenstion of hunting and being hunted by a relentless foe. Can't wait for Ecastica II, for I believe it will be the defining game of the next generation.

Siris

Everyone's Favorite Transvestite
Jan 15, 2009
I saw this game recently. It was on some weird console (I think they called it a Dreamcaster, but don't hold me to it). It was pretty original. It was about some kind of interstellar... TV host? No no, she was a reporter! And she danced! And there were aliens and stuff. And Michael Jackson! And the music was amazing! God damn it... what was it called...

Oh yeah! Shenmue!

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
Yopaz said:
sgtshock said:
Seriously, games these days suck. There were like, 4 or 5 good games that came out in 1998, Half-Life, Starcraft, Zelda, Metal Gear Solid, and a few others, but the rest were soulless garbage. I wish games could go back to the good old days when developers didn't only care about profit, when every game ever released was a glorious masterpiece!

Yeah, bring back the days of E.T. Shaq Fu, Ghost Busters, Link: The Face of Evil and all of those great titles. Oh, what is that sound? I think it was the sound of your rose tinted glasses shattering.
_>
that was the joke...

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
sgtshock said:
Yopaz said:
sgtshock said:
Seriously, games these days suck. There were like, 4 or 5 good games that came out in 1998, Half-Life, Starcraft, Zelda, Metal Gear Solid, and a few others, but the rest were soulless garbage. I wish games could go back to the good old days when developers didn't only care about profit, when every game ever released was a glorious masterpiece!

Yeah, bring back the days of E.T. Shaq Fu, Ghost Busters, Link: The Face of Evil and all of those great titles. Oh, what is that sound? I think it was the sound of your rose tinted glasses shattering.
_>
that was the joke...
Sorry, too many who's actually serious about that. Now I feel stupid.

njrk97

May 30, 2011
wow just got donkey kong 64 it sooooooo good maj jack is one of the most awsome and creepey bosses and king cut out that boss is genuise imagine what the future will hold for 3D adventur paltformers they be even more popular in like 2011

Devon Dent

Mar 17, 2010
So, I went to zellers, and bought this epic game today. It came with a strategy guide that has scratch and sniff stickers, and a whole bunch of other things. From the moment I popped it into my Super Nintendo entertainment system, imma start calling it the SNES now, I was enjoying myself. The music the customization of in game elements, and the humor had me in love with games, I will never forget Earthbound and the lessons it taught me.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
DioWallachia said:
mikey7339 said:
DioWallachia said:
xxcloud417xx said:
Skoldpadda said:
Just finished Duke Nukem 3D! The end guy's hard. Hey, I just heard they're planning a sequel! Can't wait for it, it'll be great!
Hope it doesn't get delayed...

I have a bad feeling about this...
Dont be silly, you can always bet on Duke.
That's right! Hail to the King Baby! I hear they might go so far as to use the new engine ID is developing for Quake 2! Can you imagine how good it's going to look?!
Mn..... i guess they should make a new engine too catch up to the competition, after all there is this new game called Daikatana made by John Romero (yes, THE John Romero) and its going to be a revolutionary Expert FPS with an AI that will make our jaws drop of the sheer awesome in your face. I cant WAIT for it to be released
I heard they're also making a port for the Nintendo 64. It'll be even better than the PC version!
As for the rumored Duke Nukem 3D sequel, I can't wait. It'll be so much fun. Well, only a year or two until it's released, right?
Also, just been playing Quake. Man, brown is the prettiest color on the face of the earth.