Let's talk about propaganda!

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
No, not politics, well yes but no. I'm talking Propganda in vidja-gayms kids.

For instance, the delightfully racist banners in Bioshock Infinite. But to be more precise, I mean let's talk about how amusing and immersive they can be, or even just amusing at all.

See, I picked up the Oddworld bundle (because despite some problems Steam is just so damn convenient) and in playing through Oddysee again I saw some amusing signs saying things like "The Profits justify the means" and "A little Hard Work never killed anyone Important." Which, considering the slave driving Rupture Farms owners it makes perfect sense that they would tell their overworked not payed Mudokon staff such things. Not to mention "Work Hard, Die Young, Win Valuable Prizes." which I think is my favorite. So, in the spirit of similar threads, what's your favorite in game propoganda? perhaps the HILARIOUS habit of Pain to put images for TERRIBLE movies on the sides of buildings as though you should be happy to smash your face against them. (Or perhaps that was an almost too subtle attempt at parody, using the image of a movie to cause you grevious bodily harm as a way to say "this movie will inevitbly suck" hmm)

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
This will come off as a total shocker I'm sure, but some of my favorite video game propoganda comes from the Helghast in Killzone.

[/sarcasm]

Seriously though, Scolar Visari's speech at the beginning of the second game ranks among my favorite speeches of all time, so far as video games go. I've totally forgotten how to embed YouTube videos on here, I'll just be leaving a link until I remember https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5v6A01redk

As far as other games, I'd actually be inclined to say I prefered the "propoganda" out of BioShock 1 as opposed to Infinite. While the posters in Infinite definitely help set the tone and the era that the game takes place in, I just found I prefer Rapture to Columbia.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
i havent played any killzone game, but i do like the helghast guys speeches and propaganda, the intro of the second game looked cool

i also loved Dr. Breen's speeches in Half-Life 2, "welcome... welcome to city 17"

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009

*ahem*

I actually can't think of many examples. It usually tends to be blatantly evil bad guy stuff there to blatantly demonstrate how evil the bad guys are.

I do remember chuckling at some of the radio announcements in Bioshock though. "Well, I suppose you're right. A little capitol punishment is a small price to pay for our liberties!"

Oh, and there was the giant clock in Infinite that had like 4 hours of sleep, 2 hours of prayer, half an hour for meals, half an hour leisure time and 17 hours of work.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
NuclearKangaroo said:
i also loved Dr. Breen's speeches in Half-Life 2, "welcome... welcome to city 17"
Oh yeah! I'd forgotton about those.

I loved how they told you a great deal about the state of the world in just three little words: "Welcome to City 17, it's safer here."

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Mengsk was a total badass in Starcraft 1. At the end of the first campaign he gains power of the Terrans (through abusing the player's help) and the campaign concludes with his speech set over a nice montage. He wishes to unite all Terrans, and his inauguration speech really helps convincing the viewer.

Ofcourse Mengsk is a total dictator and gives zero shits about the well being of his subjects, so long he can remain in power. The player knows this at the time this video is showed in game, yet I still felt like Mengsk will help the Terrans after watching that video.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I loved the type of propaganda that was in most of the bioshock games, Fallout series and Killzone.

I thought though that we'd at least talk about possible propaganda in the communities we have in video games, you know like the whole master race bullcrap and the shitting on others to make oneself look right and just in society, kinda like with politics.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Zhukov said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Oh yeah! I'd forgotton about those.

I loved how they told you a great deal about the state of the world in just three little words: "Welcome to City 17, it's safer here."
Yes, I like the fact that the speech seems steadily more sinister the more you think about it..."You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining urban centres..."..."So, whether you are here to stay or passing by on your way to parts unknown..."

...Aside from that, I can get behind some of the things he says. Those speeches were bloody well-written.

OT: Personally, I can't think of any really good examples off the top of my head, but I'm interested to see what sort of stuff we get from Wolfenstein: The New Order when it comes out. Alternate Nazi-ruled 1960s setting...should be good.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
If anybody knew how to oppress a people with maleficent propaganda it's Comrade Black:

[img_inline align='right' src=http://cdn.cnet.com.au/story_media/339293258/de-Blob_5.jpg]

[img_inline align='right' src=http://s.pro-gmedia.com/videogamer/media/images/xbox360/de_blob_the_underground/screens/de_blob_the_underground_5.jpg width=250 height=150]

[img_inline align='right' src=http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/media/23241/1/12.jpg width=240 height=180]

[img_inline align='right' src=http://s.pro-gmedia.com/videogamer/media/images/xbox360/de_blob_the_underground/screens/de_blob_the_underground_12.jpg width=250 height=150]

[img_inline align='right' src=http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/media/23241/1/24.jpg width=240height=180]

Guy knew how to plaster his picture throughout the city. It was super-satisfying to just slap colors on the INKT adverts and turn them into pro-rebel posters. Even a bunch of the landmarks were turned into propaganda stations!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The audio propaganda for the different corporations in Borderlands is pretty funny. I like how each corporation has a different theme going on.

Zhukov said:
Yessssssssss.

Jarek Mace

Jun 8, 2009
I don't know, I feel as if I've bought into propaganda, but not the mainstream.

I'm going to regret this tattoo some day, but until then I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Seriously though, my favourite IG propaganda is going to be within TES V with the Age of Repression and Age of Aggression songs. They sum up nicely the singular plight of both sides and show how irrelevant both are in the grand scheme of things.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
I'm going to go for the NOD Propaganda in Tiberian Sun. I mean, "Wherever there is oppression the NOD is there, not with empty promises and propaganda but with divination" and than followed by a live execution. Priceless.

Riverwolf

Dec 25, 2013
Ah, propaganda, one of the world's greatest evils that's so easy to create by accident.

I'm thinking the whole "No Gods or Kings, only Man" banner at the beginning of the first Bioshock right underneath the giant golden bust of Andrew Ryan, simply because it's such a brilliant image (and a great example of irony).

Heck, come to think of it, that entire game could be considered anti-libertarian propaganda (though I haven't played more than a few hours of it, so I don't know if it could be called propaganda or an honest but negative exploration of the philosophy... which is kind of personally chilling for reasons I'll not go into since they involve my own personal politics.)

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Damn, the really good ones have already been taken (Bioshock and Borderlands) so now I've got to dig deep. Dead Rising 3 has some really good propaganda later in the game that is very meaningful if you have completed the first two. Deus Ex: HR has some immersive propaganda as well.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
No joke: my brother would actually jump up and do the Nazi salute every time he won a game of CoD: World at War as the Germans.

I still can't believe they actually played an excerpt from a Hitler speech. o.o

If I remember correctly, the translation is something like "Germany stands behind us, Germany marches with us, and Germany lies before us."

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009

Borderlands has already been mentioned but I do what I want.