Lets talk about RTS games

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
Well, I love RTS games, but the thing is they all look a lot like each other. That's why my favourites are all ones that did something new. Warcraft 3 was fun with the heroes, though in matches it was too focused on the heroes. I loved Age of Mythology with the powers. I think the BFME series took those elements (hero gameplay and "godly" powers), but didn't make them too OP in pvp matches. Also, it was my first game where cavalry actually RODE THROUGH THE LINES :O !!!. I was so impressed horsemen didn't stop in front of their enemies, but just crushed them.

Supreme Commander and Total Annihilation were great because it was really large scale battles and things could get really hectic. The maps were so big you could zoom out your minimap so that you'd have the entire map. You could even put the minimap on your 2nd screen :p. Was great.

And then there's Rise of Legens, any one know that game ? I found it fantastic because the units were truely interesting. No orcs, Elves, Marines and what not. You had a faction that was mainly influenced by Hinduism and things like that. Really great game.

But yeah, RTS are becoming less popular, due to the fact that consoles have become more popular. You can say what you want, but RTS only feels right with a mouse and keyboard.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Well there was this xcom strategy game coming out.
They even showed that one on the e3 if I remember correctly.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
So not so much on the "what's coming out" but another vote of confidence for the Dawn of War series. If you love base building, stick with the first. If you'd rather focus more on the units and less on the base, go with the second. Both have a ton of additional content and - if you're a fan of the Warhammer 40k universe - so great campaigns.

I don't know that there's any bias against the games here - at least as far as I can tell - but I do think we're in a bit of a dry spell for RTS.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
I think the bias against RTS comes from the difficulty. Some people are just shit at them. I am one of those people.

However, I still like them. I think it's the grand scale and giant battles I enjoy, I just wish I had some micro skills. Or macro skills.

keinechance

Mar 12, 2010
Gemini Wars is an indie space battle RTS that just came out.

http://geminiwars.camel101.com/

It's pretty good for an indie game.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
WaysideMaze said:
I think the bias against RTS comes from the difficulty. Some people are just shit at them. I am one of those people.

However, I still like them. I think it's the grand scale and giant battles I enjoy, I just wish I had some micro skills. Or macro skills.
[a href="http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/08/04"]I'm with you - that's why I'm all about playing against the AI. It doesn't mock me (well, SC2 still does, but other than that...).[/a]

Eunjuay

Jun 14, 2012
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Eunjuay said:
Elmoth said:
Medieval 2: Total War.
This, this so fucking much. My favorite Total War game out of all of them. Shogun 2 came close to topping it for me (despite some controversial changes) but I just love the medieval setting, vibe at atmosphere that little bit more than the feudal Japan one.

Thirded. Medieval Total War was just gripping. But this isn't really a "RTS," it's turn based. I'm going to have to agree with the OP that there really isn't a great RTS on the horizon that combines gameplay and story.
Well, you do have the real time battles... In fact, I'd go as far as to say that while you spend most of your time in TW games in the turn based over map, the average campaign has more real time battles than most other pure RTS game do. Provided you choose to fight the battles yourself, which you should of course.
I agree, if you are not doing the real time battles you are losing a very important part of the game. But while there are certainly tactics involved here, I'd say a lot of the overall strategy comes in the turn-based. I'd say the most difficult, for me anyway, part of a pure RTS is balancing action and micromanaging resource gathering. Medieval Total War separates those two objectives.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Jhooud said:
WaysideMaze said:

[a href="http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/08/04"]I'm with you - that's why I'm all about playing against the AI. It doesn't mock me (well, SC2 still does, but other than that...).[/a]
Ha! I struggle against the AI as well haha.

I try, but no matter what I just suck. Oh well, I'll keep going.

Penguinis Weirdus

Mar 16, 2012
If your into grand strategy RTS then Wargame: European Escalation is good. Difficult but good, Hearts of Iron 2 or Arsenal of Democracy are good to

Eunjuay

Jun 14, 2012
Eunjuay said:
Elmoth said:
Medieval 2: Total War.
This, this so fucking much. My favorite Total War game out of all of them. Shogun 2 came close to topping it for me (despite some controversial changes) but I just love the medieval setting, vibe at atmosphere that little bit more than the feudal Japan one.

Thirded. Medieval Total War was just gripping. But this isn't really a "RTS," it's turn based. I'm going to have to agree with the OP that there really isn't a great RTS on the horizon that combines gameplay and story.
Well, you do have the real time battles... In fact, I'd go as far as to say that while you spend most of your time in TW games in the turn based over map, the average campaign has more real time battles than most other pure RTS game do. Provided you choose to fight the battles yourself, which you should of course.
I agree, if you are not doing the real time battles you are losing a very important part of the game. But while there are certainly tactics involved here, I'd say a lot of the overall strategy comes in the turn-based. I'd say the most difficult, for me anyway, part of a pure RTS is balancing action and micromanaging resource gathering. Medieval Total War separates those two objectives.

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
Company of heroes is often regaurded one of the best RTS titles ever made, im suprised no one has mentioned it, if i recall it is getting a sequel soon aswell, incidentally its made by Relic Studios, the guys who made dawn of war.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
WaysideMaze said:
Jhooud said:
WaysideMaze said:

Ha! I struggle against the AI as well haha.

I try, but no matter what I just suck. Oh well, I'll keep going.
My general rule of thumb is find the cheapest unit that can attack everything and mass produce them like a mofo.

Once your able to crush AI using this tactic begin to work in other elements and basic micro ;)

As my old man once said: "fling enough shit at a wall some of its gonna stick."

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Anyone try Star wars empire at war? its clucky but I like it. Took the limits off troop/ship cap so battles are more evil.....and by evil I mean 10 destroyers at once lulz

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
ChupathingyX said:
GonzoGamer said:
ChupathingyX said:
I love Dawn of War 1 and 2.

The only PC games I've played that I really enjoyed and both of them still stand out as two examples of how you do hammy voice acting right!
My favorite RTS is probably Dawn of War Dark Crusade. DoW2 was pretty cool but it felt (through the campaign) that it was more of an action-rpg rather than an rts. Still a lot of fun; I also picked up the Chaos expansion but not the latest one.

I don't think we're going to see another Dawn of War for a while. The company that makes them is having some really bad financial troubles....even though they use the online pass thing extensively. Hmmm, maybe the online pass isn't the solution; big surprise.
Are you referring to Relic or THQ?

I don't recall any major issues with Relic recently, especially considering they've already announced Company of Heroes 2. And they've already announced before that they are apparently working on DoW III.

If you're referring to THQ then yes, they're having some big financial problems but they didn't "make" Dow, they published it.

Personally, I enjoyed DoW II about as much as the first but for different reasons. The Last Stand Mode in particular was a lot of fun to play.
Yea. Last stand was always good when you want to play DoW but don't have time for a whole game. I didn't know 3 was in the works. I thought 2 would have more expansions.

Yea, I was talking about THQ.

bro1667

Jul 21, 2010
i just cant wait for company of heroes 2! With the "vision" system, as in you dont see around corners unless your units are around the corner. Which means that a well placed anti-tank gun could ruin someones day.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
RustlessPotato said:
And then there's Rise of Legens, any one know that game ? I found it fantastic because the units were truely interesting. No orcs, Elves, Marines and what not. You had a faction that was mainly influenced by Hinduism and things like that. Really great game.
Yeah I really liked RoL and it was really underrated, the gameplay was also fun because there was almost no economic management involved so it was all about the battles.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
I still play Supreme Commander (with Forged Alliance) from time to time.
I hate what they did to SupCom 2 though.

playing against the cheating Sorian AI with a few friends can be difficult but fun.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
kingthrall said:
JWRosser said:
I haven't really played many, but I do enjoy them. I've mainly just played the Age of Empires series, Command & Conquer and Battle for Middle-Earth.

Personally, I loved BFME and still play it every now and then. I'm really hoping that they make a BFME3 when the Hobbit comes out but....I'm not getting my hopes up. Sure, it had a lot of issues, but that game, plus some good mods, was fantastic.

My problem with RTS games is that they do get tedious - but they the same could be said about a lot of other genres (FPSs, in my opinion). Also balancing issues. Both players and AI often tend to rush, which isn't fun for anyone.

Storywise....well, out of the ones I've played, the stories are all a bit average, but they suffice.

I'd love a Mass Effect universe RTS. I think that would be brilliant.
fall from grace, ehem myth 2 is the best rts ever made. Although no base-building its tactical warfare surpasses most of them with the story "without too much spoiler".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oR2ceo7Evo get to 0:50 and you will understand a far far far better story than that joke called warcraft.
I loved Myth 2. And I've been itching to play it again. Do you know where I can get a copy?

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
C&C: Generals was pretty good, as were the age of empire and age of mythology games. I got Shogun 2: Fall of Samurai a couple days ago and I'm enjoying it so far, but god damn that game is confusing.