Lets talk Dark Souls bosses

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I beat Dark Souls 3 for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and have been ruminating on the game's design, and more specifically the boss fights and how they fit in with (or compare to) the rest of the bosses in the souls series. A lot of the bosses are call backs to old fights, but with new mechanics and visual styles and I wanted to see how people felt about each fight and whether they found them harder or easier than other fights in the series.

1. Iudex Gundyr

Visually he reminds me a lot of a supersized Old King Doran from Demon's Souls, and he serves a similar function, you have to prove to him that you're worthy of what he's guarding. Old King Doran was guarding a special weapon, but to Gundyr you have to prove that you're good enough to get to play the game.

Mechanically he reminds me of The Lost Sinner and Old Dragon Slayer. He's decently fast and, has a long weapon and can close distance quickly but he also gives you plenty of time to heal.

As a tutorial boss I think he's the best one From Software has made. He really showcases everything that you can expect from the game, going from a large and powerful humanoid enemy with both big telegraphed swings but also some quick kicks and shoulder tackles to catch you off guard, and he transforms into a huge monster which prepares you for the larger non-humanoid enemies ahead.

Died to him 1 time.

2. Vordt of the Boreal Valley

A cool spin on the armored knight that people were sick of in Dark Souls 2. I think he most reminds me of fighting Sif in Dark Souls 1 but also of Ludwig in Bloodborne. He has a big weapon with large swings in front of him and to the side, and he also has a quick charge attack that is absolutely devastating. Like Sif and Ludwig though he's extremely vulnerable if you get under him and attack his belly and hind legs from below.

I feel like the boss could have used more health, but I find him incredibly fun to fight. Dodging his charge attacks by rolling under them feels extremely fun and I love his boss theme.

Died to him 1 time.

3. Curse-Rotted Greatwood

I hate this boss. The fact that you can't lock onto its weak points makes it a pain in the ass, and there are only 2 weak points that are at your character's height (the one on his hand and the one on his groin) means you spent a lot of time just standing around waiting for him to position himself in a way that will allow you to hit him. The camera also does you no favors as he's just too big and the camera doesn't pull back far enough.

Mostly this fight reminds me of Ceaseless Discharge. He's big, his attacks are extremely telegraphed but the camera gets in your way, it can be hard to see what he's doing, and you can only reliably hit him while he's attacking you. It's an awkward fight.

Died to this boss 4 times.

4 - Crystal Sage

Kind of a boring boss. It's a throwback to the Fool's Idol from Demon's Souls. Not much to say, it isn't much of a challenge.

Died 0 times.

5 - Abyss Watchers

Really cool boss fight. It's kind of like fighting Artorias from Dark Souls 1 and Maria from Bloodborne crossed with the Ruin Sentinels.

It starts as a one on one, then turns into a 2 on 2, and then back to a 1 on 1 but with a buffed fiery move-set. The cool thing is that you never quite know what's coming next because there's so many phases to the fight.

Died 0 times.

6 - Deacons of the Deep

Yet another of the giant group boss fights that are so boring. Exactly like the royal rat authority from Dark Souls 2 and celestial emissary from Bloodborne, except this time it's incredibly easy to identify the "real" boss.

These are my least favorite boss fights in the souls games, mostly because the enemies don't have any interesting moves. They just try to overwhelm you with numbers but even then they have such low health that they're easily dispatched. This makes for a very boring and very easy boss fight and its really disappointing because I think the Cathedral itself is one of the most fun areas in the game and deserved a much better boss at the end.

Died 0 times.

7 - High Lord Wolnir

I died to this boss fight once because of a glitch which caused the lighting change not to trigger when I approached him. As a result the only thing I saw was his hand (his bracelets weren't even glowing), and then after hitting it a few times I was enveloped in a poisonous smoke that killed me. This rather soured me on the fight. The second time killing him was easy because I could actually see what he was doing.

Can't really think of a boss right to equate him with in the other souls games. Maybe the closest mechanically would be Seath the Scaleless from Dark Souls 1. He doesn't move much and most of his damage comes from the fog around him. Similarly Seath is slow to the point of almost being stationary and most of his damage comes from his breath attack.

Died to him 1 time.

8 - Old Demon King

Both mechanically and aesthetically he reminds me of the Demon Fire-Sage from Dark Souls 1, but with a meteor attack reminiscent of the Living Failures from Bloodborne. He killed me twice, once with his unexpected AOE which moves in from the outside of the stage and once with his meteors, which I had failed to notice him summoning until they had hit me (seriously, how is he summoning meteor's indoors?).

Honestly a pretty fair boss fight, and I would consider it quite a bit better than fire-sage, mostly because this fight doesn't have the same camera problems, and you don't get caught on the geometry of the arena all the time.

Died to him 2 times.

9 - Pontiff Sulyvahn

Holy crap what a wake up call. Huge combos, big sweeping attacks, and speed to back it all up. He seems like the new Fume Knight carrying 2 swords (one big and one small) and is unrelentingly aggressive. Dodging too early or too late means you can eat his whole combo because he can stunlock you pretty well. His second form is also incredibly intimating because OH SHIT suddenly there's 2 of him!

Reminds me a lot of the Ornstein and Smough boss fight, not so much mechanically but because it's the first real progress blocker in the game which people can and will get stuck at.

Died to him 7 times.

10 - Yhorm the Giant

Oh what could have been. He looks so cool in the intro and you think "Hey, maybe they have a good version of the Giant Lord boss fight from Dark Souls 2." Then you start fighting him and immediately realize "Huh...I'm not doing much damage, I'm probably missing something" then you find the Storm Ruler and suddenly everything fits together because it's yet another call back to Demon's Souls. The Storm Ruler completely trivializes the boss fight, and with it in your hands YOU'RE THE BOSS. It takes 5 hits with the storm ruler to kill Yhorm, and if you have enough health that's fewer hits than he needs to kill you. Funny how that works. It's a cool moment when you figure it out, but in retrospect quite disappointing.

I died to him 5 times.

...What? I didn't say I was perfect. I got the storm ruler and then in my overconfidence I couldn't figure out how to trigger the super attack and died. Then I died again. Then I figured out how to do the super attack and died 3 more times because I started rushing the boss fight and refusing to dodge. I'm stubborn ok?!

11 - Aldrich, Devourer of Gods

Yet another boss I ended up really hating, and it's all due to his arrow attack. In the second phase those arrows seem to come down forever, and my character did not have enough stamina to outrun them, so I died over and over and over again. The only reason I ended up beating him was because on one of my tries he just decided not to use the arrow attack in his second phase at all and instead tried to melee me. I still have no idea how I'm going to soul level 1 him because again, not enough stamina to outrun the arrows.

I guess mechanically the boss he resembles most closely would be Martyr Logarius from Bloodborne, but at least Logarius's attacks didn't tend to go straight through the bits of cover on his rooftop the way Aldrich's attacks go through columns. I did not have a fun time with this boss.

Died 9 times.

12 - Dancer of the Boreal Valley

I honestly have no idea why this boss is considered difficult...

Ok, that's a lie, I can easily guess why this boss is considered difficult, I just know that during my run it was trivial for me because greatshields are amazing. I ran a strength build during my first run through the game, and after finding a greatshield in the mimic chest before Yhorm I thought "I haven't used great shields in this game, let me try it out." I beat Yhorm, and was afterward immediately teleported to the Dancer's boss room. With the Greatshield equipped I took her down in 1 try. I never got hit by her grab because it's pretty well telegraphed, and in her second phase my great shield was able to block almost her entire combo, and if I walked forward while she was doing it the last 2 hits would miss me every time allowing me to drop the shield and get stamina back. Other than that she's actually quite slow and gives you a lot of time to hit her.

I really love the design of this boss, and have ever since the first videos of her were released by From Software. The way she moves, like she's floating through the water is both really cool and really distracting, and makes it tricky to tell when she's about to attack.

Died 0 times.

13 - Dragonslayer Armour

Really reminds me of the Pursuer from Dark Souls 2. Big attacks that are heavily telegraphed and easy to dodge and a shield bash. I would say that this is the most "dude in armor" boss fight in the game, mostly in that there isn't all that much going on in this fight. What you see is what you get, and what you see is armor, and bit shield, and a big ax and that's really all you need to worry about. Even in the second phase nothing much changes, the armor just gets more aggressive, and every once in a while some fire will rain from the sky.

Because of how straight forward and simple this fight is I found it to be one of the better ones for coop. It gives a decent amount of souls and you can earn some sun-light medals, and you don't have to worry about whether the host who summons you knows about the gimmick of the fight because in this case there is no gimmick.

Died 0 times (also fought him while wearing armor with the worst lightning resistance in the game...oops).

14 - Ocieros the Consumed King

Reminds me of a mix of Blood Starved beast and Ebrietas from Bloodborne, mostly because of the charge attacks and the use of magic/curse. He's fast and hits hard and runs all over the stage, but each of his attacks gives you a large window to attack him or heal. Not a very difficult boss because he isn't as aggressive as many of the bosses that come before him (or any of the ones that come after).

Died 0 times.

15 - Champion Gundyr

This might be the hardest boss in the game for me. I'm not good at parrying, and he's just relentlessly aggressive in his second form so trying to heal is dangerous even immediately after dodging one of his combos. He can also knock you to the ground and keep you there while he smashes you to death.

Funny thing is on my first try I got his health down to within 1 hit and then while I was mentally celebrating killing another boss in one try he hit me with a three hit combo, knocked me to the ground, and then shoulder bashed me as I was recovering, killing me. It then took me 11 more tries to take him down.

Cool thing about this fight though, if you get tired of fighting him and want to get your souls out of his boss room you can do so by teleporting to the Iudex Gundyr bonfire (right before firelink shrine) and your souls will be there. Champ Gundyr doesn't really give you a change to homeward bone out of his arena. Once you're in there it's basically a cage match.

Died 12 times.

16 - Lothric, Younger Prince

A cool twist on the 2v1 boss fight and one that I really enjoyed. I loved how mobile Lorain is and how he could appear anywhere at any time meaning that blocking is dangerous since he can just appear behind you can hit you in the back, and you have to constantly move and spin the camera so you don't get caught by him. Then you have Lothric healing his brother and providing support with magic. It's a hard fight, and it almost feels like it was balanced specifically to be fought in coop, but it also has a very elegant flow to it, and once you really get into the groove of the fight it becomes a bloody, brutal dance.

In a way I would say that this boss fight is a bit like Darklurker. You fight one on one for a short while, learning the boss's moves, learning how and when to dodge, and then the fight goes into phase 2 and suddenly you have more ranged attacks to worry about dodging, and you're constantly keeping your camera spinning trying to figure out where the next attack is going to come from. Very cool fight.

Died 6 times.

17 - Ancient Wyvern

Yet another gimmick/puzzle fight for the series, but honestly, this one kind of works, and I like it. We've fought a lot of dragons and wyverns in the souls series. A LOT, and when you first starting fighting this one it feels just like the Guardian Dragon from Dark Souls 2. Then you realize, like with Yhorm "huh, not doing much damage, probably doing something wrong" and end up taking a circuitous path around the stage, getting ever higher and higher until there comes a point where you can jump off a platform and drive your sword into the dragon's head, killing it.

As far as puzzle fights go it's significantly better than Dragon God from Demon's Souls, or Bed of Chaos from Dark Souls 1. Honestly I kind of wish the fight didn't end with a single attack though. Maybe if that attack just weakened the boss and put it to half health or something it might have been better.

Died 0 times.

Or maybe would could have made that fight better would be...

18 - Nameless King

...If instead of killing the Ancient Wyvern in one attack you just injured it, causing it to fly away, and then reappear later on at the end of Archdragon Peak, being ridden by The Nameless King. This would explain why the Nameless King's dragon is so much squishier than the other dragons in the game, if it was already injured when the fight started.

Anyway, everyone can agree that this boss fight blows. The camera is awful in the first phase, and it makes it very difficult to track the dragon. After my first try I immediately understood that the camera was going to be a problem and decided that the best course of action would be to use a bow and kill the dragon from long range, allowing me to keep it in full view at all times. It took a while, but killing the dragon in this way ended up being easy, and then the Nameless King himself wasn't much of a problem. He has a varied move-set and he hits like a bus, but all of his attacks are heavily telegraphed and easy to dodge. He thankfully doesn't have any insanely long combos (at least not that I noticed). After Champ Gundyr every other melee boss seemed easy.

Died 1 time.

19 - Soul of Cinder

What can be said of the final boss? Visually he's kind of boring, and his boss arena feels a little bare and unimpressive. He has a lot up his sleeve (his magic especially caught me off guard), and holy Devil May Cry combos what's with that air juggle, but all in all he really isn't that bad. Gives you time to heal, the arena is huge so you have plenty of space to run from him, and if you hit him enough times he gets stunned. He can also be parried but like I said, I'm terrible at that, and you also don't really need it.

He continues the tradition of lackluster final bosses. Also, did anyone else find it to be really weird that the final boss turned out to be the character that was shown off in all the promotional material? When I walked in and saw him it really took the wind out of my sails so to speak. It almost felt like instead of discovering something new and cool that I had stumbled onto something that had been left hastily unfinished.

Died 1 time.

Holy crap I wrote a lot. How'd that happen?

Anyway, now for my final opinion. The bosses in Dark Souls 3 feel like From Software learned from every single other boss that came before, and they tried to use the parts of those bosses that people liked from the previous games, and reworked them into something new.

It didn't always work (and stop making those mass group boss fights From Software, no one liked Royal Rat Authority or Celestial Emissary, what made you think they'd like Deacons of the Deep?!), but I honestly think that from a gameplay standpoint this game has some of the most well designed fights in the series.

Now someone please respond so that I don't feel like I wasted tons of time writing this.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
As I've been replaying Dark Souls III, I find it slipping further and further down on my Soulsborne ranking. And part of that is the bosses, which are actually piss easy by the series' standards, not just in new game, but in new game+, new game++, new game+++ and so on. Only a few of them are aggressive enough to really make healing feel urgent, and they have very little health for the most part. Aside from Aldritch, Dancer, Nameless King and Soul of Cinder on my first playthrough I've never gotten into "try again and again and again" mode with any of them. This reduces from the feeling of achievement vastly, since new game+ doesn't offer anything new save for buffed rings, and turns the game into effectively a boss rush. Were it not for having to put the fires out in Farron Keep, I could perhaps run the game through in an hour.

I'm actually having a hard time even coming up with my favorite and least favorite boss fights from the game, because they are so laughably easy that they don't even form a sense of "yeah, that fight was AWESOME!" or "ugh, that fight sucked". Yhorm was really intense the first time, when I saw the giant running towards me, hoping the Storm Ruler would charge in time, but on repeat playthroughs I don't think I've gotten hit by him even once. He would have been better if his first phase was taking, say, 3 hits from the storm ruler, and the rest would have been just a straight up fight. The Abyss watchers are good, though IMO the ability to backstab, stunlock and parry bosses takes away from the excitement. My favorite fight might be Dancer, since it has a unique design, fittingly eerie music, and can really wreck your shit if you're not careful. Plus its weapons, when fully upgraded, just wreck shop anywhere they go.

The absolute most ridiculous scenario was when I was fighting Crystal Sage in New game+4. Barbed Straight Sword + Carthus Rouge meant I killed him before he could teleport even once. I almost burst out laughing at that point.

It's a shame the bosses in this game are so easy, because the designwork and lore behind them is miles ahead of Dark Souls II's dude in armor pride parade. But the lack of challenge turns them from climaxes to mere speedbumps, and they lose a lot of their effectiveness in the process. The lack of challenge forms a disjunct between the epic designs, booming music and seeming aggression, since the attacks are so clearly telegraphed they're ridiculously easy to avoid (case in point, Vordt's charge attacks, or basically anything Oceiros does).

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Honestly, I really loved the final boss.
Difficulty isn't something I care too much about in bosses, and in regards to everything else I really enjoyed the Soul of Cinder. His relatively 'normal' looking design evoked the early beginnings of your typical Souls protagonist, and the way he mixed the various playstayles was perfect. And then of course you end up with a nice nod to Gwyn mixed in with some Manus style berserker combos. He would've been my favourite final boss in the Souls franchise if Gehrman didn't have the intro cinematic.

As for other bosses, Abyss Watchers was probably my favourite boss overall, with the beautiful music, good atmosphere, and the interesting 'free-for-all' mechanics introduced with the corrupted Abyss Watcher, which is something I don't think we've seen in a Souls boss before. Plus, I really like the idea of Artorias having a cosplaying fan club in-universe.

Other honourable mentions go to Lothric and Lorian, for having such a fun boss fight that shakes things up really well, plenty of memorable scenes, and great armor design in regards to Lorian. Nameless King was great in terms of design, introduction, and especially in answering some long held questions introduced in DS1. It's a shame how easy the first phase was though, considering I had more trouble fighting the random snakemen enemies than I did the King of the Storms. And of course THE CHAMP deserves a mention just for simply having that back kick attack which completely threw me off the first time he used it.

Overall, I was pretty happy with most of the bosses in the game. The only downers for me were the Ancient Wyvern, which was more of a fight against irritating enemies, Deacons, for reasons already mentioned many times before, Wolnir, who had a really cool introduction and that's it, and Crystal Sage for being so boring and forgettable.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
As I was reading through I was thinking, 'he says he didn't die to Abyss Watchers, no way that took me ages, wait he says he died a bunch to Pontiff Sulyvahn, but that was so easy', and that's a good thing about Dark Souls, obviously depending on your play style different bosses are challenging and different ones are easy.

I'm playing through again now and I'm about which bosses I like and which I don't spending time helping others with the fights I enjoy (Abyss Watchers, Pontiff Sulyvahn, Aldrich) whilst clearing the ones I don't and quickly moving on (Yhorm, Dragonslayer Armour).

Apr 5, 2008
I think for the most part, they were okay. There was some disparity between the levels of difficulty between them all. Most were okay, perhaps a little on the easy side (ie. I didn't die repeatedly first). I think some of them were too difficult (Twin Princes, Nameless King, Final Boss (solo), to an extent Dancer also). Too many attacks, attacks that hit too hard, go on too long or simply unfair attacks (Old Demon's screenwide insta-kill everything attack).

They pulled the two-phase trick out on so many of the bosses it got a little old. However overall it was a good game. I felt like it rewarded being super aggressive much more than any other strategy and that range was no longer a factor in PvE (since most mobs seem able to gap-close or attack wherever I stood). I think the weapons aren't too well balanced, at least not relative to straight swords that are seemingly in a league of their own.

Only dying once to nameless king I have to take off my hat. He owned me for the longest time. I could sleepwalk the first phase by the end, but always got caught in phase 2.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Dark Souls 1 bosses are even easier the second time through, don`t know why peop?e complain.
Only fights in the series that keep being hard are DS2 DLCs. (Not counting Bloodborne)

I dont agree that Nameless King is bad, its one of the coolest bosses of the series, far surpassing anything 1 and 2 have to offer.

Aside from that I agree that it feels like a ?rehashed but perfected?. Finally not Ds1 endgame or Ds2 shit, even DS2 Dlc bosses were pretty lame in parts.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I really loved the all the boreal valley guys myself. The armoured weirdo walking on all fours spooked me the first time I saw it, and the Dancer in particular had the beauty and grace mixed with scary deadly quite well. That said, you might not have got caught by that grab, but I definitely did. Trying to cast dammit! No I can't lift a greatshield why would you even ask that. I wouldn't even complain about it if it wasn't a one hit kill, but there you have it. Just kind of a frustrating early stop to an otherwise excellent boss fight before it gets going.

Overall I agree with your stuff, although I feel the nameless king could have been great if not for the camera. Also, the deacons were at least kind of spooky the first time because it looked like you were being mobbed by ZOMBIES in a game where being 'mobbed' by more than like three guys is almost instant death.

I'm actually replaying now, and I kind of got caught on the Crystal Sage. I'm doing a strength/faith build and only just now have I realized that I'm too fat to run keep up with mobile enemies, and I don't have any decent combat miracles yet so I can't range him. Feels weird. Can't complain much though since just about every fight has been easier so far with a strength build, which I guess is just the magic of having a big old mace to smack people with. Definitely need more dex though so I can actually use some of the big damn knives I've been collecting.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
inu-kun said:
First of all, thumbs up for the effort. Second thing, I think the bosses in this game were far too easy, the problems are that a lot of them had small healthpools, they weren't agressive enough (really the most aggressive bosses were the hardest ones, Pontiff, Lothrich and Nameless King (at least the second phase)) giving you a lot of breathing space and time to heal, and the Estus system was pretty broken (strong, fast heal that's pretty much endless by the time you reach the harder bosses). What was your favourite boss? Mine was Pontiff with Lothric in close second, both felt hard but fair.

Also I found a ring that increases invincibility frames in dodging which made the final bosses a cinch.

Finally the best way to summarize Pontiff Sulyvahn:
Yeah, thinking back I'd say Pontiff was my favorite as well. It was the first time that I felt like "shit got real" in Dark Souls 3. He was also at the end of the first area to really kick my ass up and down (screw the goddamn fire sages and their tracking underground fire) so his difficulty really made the fight memorable. I say that he reminds me a lot of Fume Knight, and I'm sticking to that, but I actually like Pontiff a lot more and it's because his attacks aren't on a huge delay and seem a lot more natural to dodge by feel. Fighting Fume Knight always felt a bit clunky because you always had to dodge a half second later than it felt like.

Anyway, I agree with you about the estus system being OP in this game. By the end you can have 15 estus flasks of full healing, and they'll heal through boss attacks, so as long as you start drinking before the boss hits you it'll at the very least completely negate the damage from that attack, and at best allow you to recover more health than you lost by getting hit. I feel like if they'd split the flasks into estus and ash, or forced you to have a minimum amount of ash flasks the game would have been balanced better.

On the other hand, Dark Souls 1 allowed you to have 20 estus by the end (or the beginning if you went and killed Pinwheel early) so its not like having too many healing items is new for the series. I'd say that having too many bonfires is more of an issue. If they cut down the number of bonfires by about 1/3 it would have been better.

Honestly, I do think that a large number of the bosses in this game are too easy, but I still think that overall the bosses are more difficult than previous souls games. The only boss from the base game of Dark Souls 1 that I can think of as being truly challenging is Ornstein and Smough, with Capra earning the award for boss who is hard because the camera sucks (sharing said award with Nameless King). Also, with each Souls game we get better as players, so of course we find the bosses easier each time. You know what game actually has the easiest bosses? Demon's Souls. You can stand next to bosses and heal all day, and they'll let you because the only aggressive boss is Flamelurker.

I'm really excited to see what the DLC for this game has in store because From Software tends to really step up the difficulty in their DLCs (oh god Orphan of Kos, you bastard, what did I ever do to you?!).

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
I'm still in my first playthrough, and just got up to the Consumed King's Garden. So far, most of the bosses have been pretty good, but my favourites would have to be:

Old Demon King: The guy could 2-shot me with almost every attack - none of which I could effectively block - so I ended up having to learn rolling to beat him. Pretty intense & fair. The only problem I had was with the camera dropping lock-on occasionally.

Dancer: Possibly the coolest fight I've ever seen in a Souls game. Visually & mechanically awesome, with great music. Strong tells and good openings.

The only bosses I really dislike are Archdeacons - for being a stupid mob boss with one-shot mechanics - and Pontiff. Especially Pontiff. Fuuuuuuuck I hate everything about Pontiff - his movepool is full of 100-0 combos, you can't use a shield at all against him, and you can't ever get an opportunity to heal up. It's like for the last few Souls games, From has decided to take the Gwyn fight from DS1 and make it fucking ridiculous.

I think the problem is me using heavy weapons and a shield in every Souls game I play, instead of rolling around with a Straight Sword - the way they're meant to played it seems. Oh well, good thing there's phantoms to help I guess.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
There's a problem in this game, and that's kind of the general 'speed' of it. The player character is simply too quick. His dodge rolls have little recovery, and leave little openings and you can roll a lot. Due to the return of Dark Souls one elements, just not enough was sped up to keep up with your new player ability.

In Dark Souls one there is this small delay between rolls where you can't just roll and roll and roll. There's a opening left after you do so, and you can't quite panic roll like you can in 3.

And that's fine. People complaining about the estus flask thing, I don't think they get the point of Dark Souls' modular difficulty, where sure having 15 +10 Estus flask is awesome, but at the same time, optional. It's like summoning, it makes it easier if you want it to, but it isn't mandatory or necessary. Though, I do believe healing could be slowed down just a touch, you do heal a smidgen too fast. However it works beautifully with casters, who while are for the most part still shit in this game, having so many estus really is a benefit to a inefficient gameplay style.

I'd say that Dark Souls 3 is consistently good, and much of our opinion is kind of lowered by how less remarkable it is after 4 other titles who run similar things. Especially the beautiful Bloodborne that did it all again with altered mechanics, setting and storyline that was just amazing.

Anyways, I think all of the bosses are good. Sure, that doesn't mean they're difficult, but they do what they're meant to for the most part. I think the worst boss is Yhorm, just because he's fucking boring, but has one of the endings to a better NPC storyline. The rest of them... well, they generally all have good lore connotations, and for the most part seem like they belong where they are. I like it, and think it's a good end point, and am super stoked for the DLC.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
You want to know my trick with Pontiff? Don't kill the double, he's significantly less aggressive with it out and he always follows up with the same attack it uses.

I beat him the same attempt I figured it out, haven't died to him since

Bealzibob

Jul 4, 2009
I agree with most of what people are saying so far in this thread. I don't usually level my health up past the starting stats so estus never really felt that broken to me since one estus filled my health bar no matter what. Which meant that it felt more fair to the boss since I was never chugging through anything cause even getting tapped by say Nameless Kings dragon's foot meant death if I panic healed.

Overall the whole pacing of the game was a little off. Having to get the doll from Cathedral of the Deep throws the pace out when replaying and the whole area really lets itself down by only having 1 boss, it needed a crazy hard secret boss imo cause the area is cool but lackluster.

I think the high damage and lack of poise really just demolished the potential for more complex boss design. You sort of have a single combat loop for bosses, shield the first or second attacks then dodge once you feel the next swing is guaranteed and then attack. Rinse and repeat. Bosses also seem to have either very little or infinite poise which means that you adapt into only two attack rates, mash them while they are stunlocked or hit once and dodge. O&S for example you could stun O with enough heavy attacks but S you couldn't so it meant you have more complex positioning requirements.

Still I think:
Bloodborne > Darksouls 1 (> Demon's Souls when I play it will probably go here i think) > Darksouls 3 > Darksouls 2

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Hey did you know you can use alluring skulls to seperate the horde of unimportant guys from the one you need to attack in the Deacons fight? The one posessed by the boss if unaffected but the others go after the skull!

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Smilomaniac said:
I know people consider magic/pyro being "easy mode" (which I disagree with, since I chose to wear minimal armor throughout the game) and instead picking a weapon and sticking to it is the "real" experience, however I was immediately dissuaded from that and will not bother replaying it "for real" for a long time, with melee in mind. The next game however, I'll be much more inclined to go melee, unless they pull the same shit. In that case, I'll just have to live with starting with subpar stats so I can skip pointless content for the sake of actually playing the game.
Magic being the "easy mode" doesn't actually apply as much in Dark Souls III as it did previously. Enemies are faster, more aggressive, hit harder, and close the gap between the player much faster than in previous installments. On one hand this balances the different playstyles quite a bit, but on the other hand it also reduces from their uniqueness. Having played the game with a dex build, a tank, a pyromancer and a sorcerer (well, up to Irithyll anyway), they all felt pretty much the same gameplay wise. Shields are only good when fighting single enemies, and basically no matter what kind of build you're going with, it's all going to be the Cartwheel Olympic sooner or later.

Apr 25, 2009
Demon's Souls has the only good 'mob boss' in the series. Phalanx is a pretty cool fight, dipping in and out from behind the pillars, having to keep an eye on all of the Hoplites' telegraphs before choosing the right time to two-hand and wade in. Very unique. Although a lot of DeS' boss designs were quite unique and broke the mould, probably because the mould wasn't very well defined at that point.

Nice writeup on DkS3's bosses. DkS3 has left me with a very 'meh' feeling unfortunately, but they certainly refined their formula and the bosses for the most part reflected that.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Smilomaniac said:
Iudex Gundyr is way, way too difficult for a new player, in my opinion. If you've played Souls before, you already know how to handle things, but for me this was ridiculously hard.
The morale was, if you played sorc/pyro, then he and the game is (relatively) cakewalk and the rest of the content pretty much reflected it, up to and including Soul of Cinder who I didn't die to, even once.
Back to Gundyr, besides pissing me off for 40 minutes to an hour, it nearly dissuaded a friend of mine to play the game at all. He became borderline unbearable to play with afterwards because of how angry it made him, whereas I was fully prepared to give the series a legitimate try and already expected the worst.

Anyway, my point is that I consider Iudex an utter failure as a tutorial boss, vastly overrepresenting the difficulty of the game from that point on (except perhaps the knight of the boreal valley miniboss).
I know people consider magic/pyro being "easy mode" (which I disagree with, since I chose to wear minimal armor throughout the game) and instead picking a weapon and sticking to it is the "real" experience, however I was immediately dissuaded from that and will not bother replaying it "for real" for a long time, with melee in mind. The next game however, I'll be much more inclined to go melee, unless they pull the same shit. In that case, I'll just have to live with starting with subpar stats so I can skip pointless content for the sake of actually playing the game.

As for the rest of it, I enjoyed the game and do not regret the purchase, nor finally delving into "git gud" territory. With the exception of Gundyr, I did not at all experience the level of frustration or difficulty that I expected.
Gundyr really bothered me. I beat him on my first try, because I've played every Miyazaki game multiple times, but I remember thinking that there's no way a new player is prepared for this. A tutorial boss shouldn't be trying to teach you every mechanic in the game. It should be trying to teach you the basics. That's why the DS1 tutorial boss was the best. The game gave the player a free critical hit, and then taught them how to dodge roll. Hell, the first several DS bosses were about learning how to dodge roll. The Asylum Demon from DS was tough, but manageable. Gundyr, on the other hand, felt like he was designed for people who had already played the games before. If the other bosses were easy, it's probably because you'd actually had time to figure out the mechanics by then.

OT: the bosses were okay this time around. Some of them felt a little bit gimmicky, but I didn't mind. The dancer was probably my favorite. Watching the building slowly catch fire during the fight was an organic way to make the battle more dramatic. Also, awesome music.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
bartholen said:
Aside from Aldritch, Dancer, Nameless King and Soul of Cinder on my first playthrough I've never gotten into "try again and again and again" mode with any of them. This reduces from the feeling of achievement vastly, since new game+ doesn't offer anything new save for buffed rings, and turns the game into effectively a boss rush. Were it not for having to put the fires out in Farron Keep, I could perhaps run the game through in an hour.
Funnily, I find Aldrich to be the easiest boss in the game. Everything he does has a huge windup and can be easily outrolled.

Back on the OP, some of the bosses feel awfully gimmicky, and have little to offer beyond that. Wolnir, the Ancient Wyvern, and Deacons are downright pathetic once you figure out how to do them. Aldrich having -9000 fire resistance is another case. A lesser case is numerous bosses who stop still for a good 6 seconds to perform a blatantly punishable mega move for you (Vordt, Sulyvahn, King of Storms, Cinder all do this with their big ability).

Repetition kind of sets in too. You fight one boss twice. Oceiros basic pattern is just Vordt repeated, If you've played other games, you've already run into the Twin Princes or Deacons via their predecessors in DS2.

My main difficulty in my first run through with a sorc was bosses like the Greatwood or Wolnir (and to an extent, the King of Storms first phase) that demanded accuracy but had broken targeting mechanics.