Let's Talk Indie

Gondito

Jul 11, 2009
You mean bands like Arcade Fire, The Temper Trap, The XX, Broken Bells, Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear, Local Natives, The Morning Benders, Spoon, Titus Andronicus, and Vampire Weekend?

Yeah, Love em' to death.

Rolling Thunder

Dec 23, 2007
Indie is dead, and Pete Doherty killed it. The Libertines exemplify everything wrong with indie - whiny, balless, unimaginative rock sung by a guy who's voice only just started breaking, along to a vaguely dull track about boy meets girl, blah blah blah.

Ziltoid

Sep 29, 2009
I thought Sigur Ros was post-rock. But anyway I'm not really into much indie music but I freaking LOVE Animal Collective. Merriweather Post Pavilion and Fall Be Kind are masterpieces.

StarofAzura

Lady Nerevarine
Mar 22, 2010
Generally, no. My view on most indie music is that it's indie because it can't be mainstream - because it isn't quality enough to be picked up by the big labels.

That, and people who listen to indie and only indie strike me as arrogant I-hate-things-just-because-they're-popular douchebags. But that may just be me. :p

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Rolling Thunder said:
Indie is dead, and Pete Doherty killed it. The Libertines exemplify everything wrong with indie - whiny, balless, unimaginative rock sung by a guy who's voice only just started breaking, along to a vaguely dull track about boy meets girl, blah blah blah.
This is a more detailed breakdown of how I feel about the vast majority of the "indie" I see people bandying about. Personally I just refer to it all as "sad-sack indie crap", which, while less descriptive, still gets the general point across fairly well, heh.

I have nothing against bands that are "indie" because hey, they're not signed to any labels, as those might be good or bad just like anything else. But the use of "indie" as a genre rather than just a catch all label for independent music? It's pretty much always sad-sack indie crap, which is apparently why those people like it.

I understandably don't have much esteem for the opinions of indie rock fans.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Kushin said:
Hey guys, the topic title basically says it all. Let's discuss some indie music.
Speaking as a jaded music industry worker, "Indie music" as far as I'm concerned, doesn't exist, on any level.

"Indie" (short for "independent") doesn't exist and in fact has never existed on a pure business level, because "independent" record labels are never truly independent. For a label to be "independent" in the real sense, it would have to cover everything itself, from distribution, promotion, and manufacture, to sourcing raw materials, logistics, aesthetics, the works - complete self-sufficiency. This has never been achieved by any label in the history of recorded music. Why? Because it's a lot easier not to do things that way. True independence does not exist, nor should it.

"Indie music" in the sense of "music that is independent" doesn't actually exist either, because it's reliant on this structure. These days "indie" music commonly refers to big bands on big labels with million-dollar budgets anyway - nothing "indie" about it. Let's look at your examples. Interpol are signed to Capitol who are a subsidiary of EMI Group. How big are they? Well, earlier this year EMI Group announced a £1.75 billion pound loss. Any company that has that amount of money to lose in a year isn't an "indie" even in the most naive, overarching sense of the word. Sigur Ros are on FatCat but also have distribution deals so are tied up with EMI Group, XL, FMR and the Interscope/Geffen/A&M group for distribution (and probably others too) depending on which country you are shopping in. The Flaming Lips are on Restless Records which was bought out by Warner Music Group (there's that familiar Warner Brothers logo at the top of that YouTube video you posted) which is part of Time/Warner and I think we all know how big Time/Warner are. Suffice to say, they are not very "indie". The only indie music that exists is the stuff you write yourself and post to YouTube... oh wait, YouTube is owned by Google corp... or what about MySpace... oh wait, that's owned by Fox... but what about iTun... oh yeah, well Apple of course. Seems like being truly "independent" and saying no to corporations is easy as long as you don't ever plan to get your music heard anyplace...

If you want to ignore the business models completely and boil down "indie" to something on a purely sonic level, up crops another can of worms, because these bands don't even sound alike. Even in terms of very broad categorization, Sigur Ros's post-rock sound sure as hell sounds nothing like The Flaming Lips experimental, pseudo-psychedelic rock noodlings, which in turn sounds nothing like Interpol's more straight-ahead, slightly post-punk influenced pop/rock sound.

So what is "indie music", then? It isn't anything but a marketing term. It doesn't actually exist in the real world, and never has. Record labels aren't silly though, they will market something as "indie" so all the too-cool-for-major-labels kids go out and buy something that they think is somehow hip, happening or even "subversive" (pfft). Never mind that the band in question that's being described as "indie" might sound like a ripoff of The Beatles (the most un-independent band ever in existence), is making millions of dollars and is distributed on a major label...

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
People over think this thing way too much. Indie music is good 'cause people that make it actually have creative input into what they are doing since they aren't making the big bucks - or at least not enough to constrict them into a specific style so that they can keep making the aforementioned big bucks. Simple, really. It may not be as polished in many cases, but damnit if it isn't fresher.

Those bashing it simply as some attempt at marketing are being idi...ahem: misled.

Abur.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Lullabye said:
Indie music? Independent artists not signed to a major label? Isn't that just like saying " I like this because it's not popular!"?
Since when is it a freaking genre to be unrecognized by mainstream? Am I the only one who finds it sad?
I agree, Indie fans are the worst because once the band becomes popular they stop liking them and say "I liked them before they were popular" Neat...

Indie isn't a genre.

EDIT- Also, I was expecting a thread on Indiana Jones, so thanks for disappointing me!

Kushin

May 17, 2009
ClifJayShafer said:
Kushin said:
I like stuff by Sigur Ros,
Will you be my new friend?
Sigur Ros is amazing.
*Hands Friend Badge*

We are now friends.

BonsaiK said:
I appreciate the time you took to write that huge essay about Indie, it's great to hear from someone in the know, but this thread was meant to be a discussion of bands already defined as indie, not us trying to define what bands are indie for ourselves.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and yes there are some douchebag indie fans who act like people in this thread have described, but there are exceptions to every rule, not everyone is like that. I personally like a lot more than just indie, but I like listening to it mostly.

Also:-

StarofAzura said:
it's indie because it can't be mainstream - because it isn't quality enough to be picked up by the big labels.
I'm going to have to oppose that comment fully, indie music is not 'popular' in the sense that it isn't in the top 40 artists globally. It's quality cannot just be directly compared to stuff like Lady Gaga and Ke$ha etc, seeing as quality itself is subjective to your own opinion

StarofAzura

Lady Nerevarine
Mar 22, 2010
Kushin said:
ClifJayShafer said:
Kushin said:
I like stuff by Sigur Ros,
Will you be my new friend?
Sigur Ros is amazing.
*Hands Friend Badge*

We are now friends.

BonsaiK said:
I appreciate the time you took to write that huge essay about Indie, it's great to hear from someone in the know, but this thread was meant to be a discussion of bands already defined as indie, not us trying to define what bands are indie for ourselves.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and yes there are some douchebag indie fans who act like people in this thread have described, but there are exceptions to every rule, not everyone is like that. I personally like a lot more than just indie, but I like listening to it mostly.

Also:-

StarofAzura said:
it's indie because it can't be mainstream - because it isn't quality enough to be picked up by the big labels.
I'm going to have to oppose that comment fully, indie music is not 'popular' in the sense that it isn't in the top 40 artists globally. It's quality cannot just be directly compared to stuff like Lady Gaga and Ke$ha etc, seeing as quality itself is subjective to your own opinion
Let me qualify then. In my opinion, it does not have the same quality as music picked up by popular labels. And popular labels don't just take stuff like Lady Gaga and Ke$ha - I'm talking about all genres, not just "pop". This is all my opinion, however, and I think I said that like, twice in my original post.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Kushin said:
BonsaiK said:
I appreciate the time you took to write that huge essay about Indie, it's great to hear from someone in the know, but this thread was meant to be a discussion of bands already defined as indie
My point was that indie music does not exist, so therefore this discussion is not possible.