Let's talk Switch

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
So it will soon be upon us. Nintendo's latest odd ball on the console market, launching in 7 days with a standardly weak launch line-up. We can all assume that the Switch will have some initial success with Zelda being a launch title, however if we look down the year will the confirmed games list how well do we think the Switch will do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Switch_games

With all the 3rd party support they promised, it has a good chance overcoming the Wii U, but when you look at the list there actually isn't a whole lot there. Many of the 3rd party games aren't exclusives, and some are merely ports of games that have been out for a while already (Dragonball Xenoverse 2, I am Setsuna). Hell one of the launch games that is merely a port of an old game, got delayed, Binding of Isaac.

Personally I am on the fence on the Switch. While I would absolutely love to pay the few Nintendo exclusives coming, (Fire Emblem, Xenoblade) I don't know if I can justify the system for just that. Considering I have every other console and a powerful gaming PC to run the other non-exclusive games on.

Part of me can't help but wonder if Nintendo's insistance on making a weird ass console with waggle functionality is only hurting them. I wonder what kind of games line up they could have if they just came out with a standard non-gimmicky console with the power to run 1080p/60fps on it. We have already seen what happens to a Nintendo console that relies on 1st party support to live, it doesn't work.

That being said, the Wii U was a strange thing and the Switch has potential where the Wii U didn't. I think full 720p 1st party games could keep this thing afloat. Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Mario, Zelda, fucking how about a new Metroid, all of those games could hold an audience because they are already pillars in which the 3DS stands on, and the Switch provides an extra powerful handheld console giving these games home console power on the go. That's a great idea, but I feel like the way Nintendo handles things may hurt them when it comes to trying to get more 3rd party games on the system.

What do you guys think? Hopeful? Want one? Don't care?

Let me know.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
It actually looks like a promising little console all things considered. I kinda like the gimmick this time around and it seems like a solid machine.

That said I have no intention of picking one up any time soon. As ever if I do end up buying one it will be a good bit down the road after the initial bumps have been overcome and maybe a more refined version of the console has been released. Plus hopefully by then there would be a library actually worth buying the console for, as right now the only game to really interest me is Zelda.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
The Madman said:
It actually looks like a promising little console all things considered. I kinda like the gimmick this time around and it seems like a solid machine.
When I heard about the games that were coming to it, I actually got excited enough to want one. That is, until I read that most of the games that got me hyped were not only coming out for other systems, but in the case of Dragon Quest Heroes 2 the other consoles would be getting it sooner. It kinda took the wind out of my hype.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
I was on the fence for a little while but I've ultimately decided to pick one up when I get the chance. I already have a great gaming PC so that renders like 90% of the Xbox/PS ecosystem pointless for me. 343 killed the Halo franchise for me so getting an X1 is off the table. The only thing really tethering me to getting a PS4 at some point is Kingdom Hearts III, Persona 5, and Horizon Zero Dawn.

I wasn't that keen on the Wii U either but by the end of its lifespan it had more exclusive games that I wanted to play than either of the other two consoles combined. My biggest disappointment with the Switch so far is that it hasn't had more ports of those games I missed out on.

The limited launch did give me pause for a while, but there is already a lot on the horizon that I will probably want to pick up. Zelda will likely be keeping me busy for a while and Fast RMX will be that to scratch some of the Wipeout itch(RIP).

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
It's an interesting concept for a flagship console, though I doubt I will be getting one. Not only do I already have a Shield K1 tablet loaded with games, emulators and PC ports for my portable gaming (it's basically the Switch beta running on Android, with the HDMI out), the only game that interests me is Zelda. While it does look pretty amazing, I'm not going to but a console for a single game.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
I haven't seen a single game worth my time yet. I'm going to pass and wait until anything decent comes to it.

You know, something like F-Zero, Wave Race, 1080, or Rogue Squadron.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I was just playing Wind Waker and it is really good on the Wii U but when I think of the potential of this thing, I get pretty excited.

Will I get it 3/3? I'd love to but I have to danging work :-(

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Still not all that interested.

The Big N properties (Zelda, Mario, Metroid) are not properties I care that much about (unless they make another 2D Metroid, in which case you can consider my interest piqued) and Nintendo just doesn't get the third party support needed for me to drop the money. Tack on the fact that their "portable" system is too big to fit in my pocket and the one part that might have gotten me interested gets taken away.

If this thing becomes the 3DS killer that everyone (except funny enough Nintendo, who still seems to claim otherwise) believes it to be, I'd likely just stop buying Nintendo rather than adapt.

It's not impossible for it to change my mind but I fully expect history to continue repeating itself.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
tippy2k2 said:
Still not all that interested.

The Big N properties (Zelda, Mario, Metroid) are not properties I care that much about (unless they make another 2D Metroid, in which case you can consider my interest piqued) and Nintendo just doesn't get the third party support needed for me to drop the money. Tack on the fact that their "portable" system is too big to fit in my pocket and the one part that might have gotten me interested gets taken away.

If this thing becomes the 3DS killer that everyone (except funny enough Nintendo, who still seems to claim otherwise) believes it to be, I'd likely just stop buying Nintendo rather than adapt.

It's not impossible for it to change my mind but I fully expect history to continue repeating itself.
Have to mirror this.

And may I add, I have large hands. Hands that instinctively begin to cramp up and hurt when I just think on what it'll be like to attempt to hold and use those atrocious JoyCons[footnote]Still a catastrophically stupid name.[/footnote]

I can hear the rebuttals now. "But! But! You can just buy the Pro Controller!"

First, I don't like the look (or size) of the Pro either. Second, I shouldn't have to buy an extra fucking controller to make use of the console I just purchased. Fuck that.

So yeah. Can't muster any interest in the Switch. The more I see of it the more I just see Nintendo repeating its past. More pointless gimmicks. Limited hardware. Limited software lineup. Milking of tired franchises. Wii Sports-like mini-game launch titles. Design philosophies and choices that make this supposed 'gaming console' look like a kids toy.

If I had very young kids I might be interested. Since I don't, my PS4, PC, and mobile devices provide more than enough gaming entertainment.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I'm curious to see how it does.

Zero interest for me personally though. So far as I can tell the only reason to buy a Nintendo console over any other platform is to play Nintendo games. Since I have absolutely zero interest in Nintendo's games, their console has no appeal to me.

It has the whole mobility thing going, but if I want to play a game on the go I'll do it on my phone, a thing that I'm already carrying and fits in my pocket. If I'm carrying a bag big enough to hold a Switch then I'll already have a book in it, so I'm covered.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Vigormortis said:
Have to mirror this.

And may I add, I have large hands. Hands that instinctively begin to cramp up and hurt when I just think on what it'll be like to attempt to hold and use those atrocious JoyCons[footnote]Still a catastrophically stupid name.[/footnote]

I can hear the rebuttals now. "But! But! You can just buy the Pro Controller!"

First, I don't like the look (or size) of the Pro either. Second, I shouldn't have to buy an extra fucking controller to make use of the console I just purchased. Fuck that.

So yeah. Can't muster any interest in the Switch. The more I see of it the more I just see Nintendo repeating its past. More pointless gimmicks. Limited hardware. Limited software lineup. Milking of tired franchises. Wii Sports-like mini-game launch titles. Design philosophies and choices that make this supposed 'gaming console' look like a kids toy.

If I had very young kids I might be interested. Since I don't, my PS4, PC, and mobile devices provide more than enough gaming entertainment.
Especially when that controller is 80 cocking dollars. It's 1/4 the price of the console itself, that's ridiculous.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Dirty Hipsters said:
Especially when that controller is 80 cocking dollars. It's 1/4 the price of the console itself, that's ridiculous.
I paid that much to get two DS4 controllers. TWO.

Now, if there were some way to get any of my DS4 or Steam controllers to function on the Switch, I might be more willing to give the console a chance.[footnote]Still no games, as far as I can see, that interest me at all.[/footnote] As it is, even if the thing had a line-up of absolute must-have launch games, I still couldn't get over how awful and uncomfortable those JoyCons look. I'd be afraid I'd crush them if I accidentally gripped just a little too hard.

That and the apparent weakness and unreliability of the JoyCons wireless connection would make things worse. I have a large TV, so I tend to sit a bit far back. Add to that the numerous wireless devices I have running most of the time and the JoyCons would probably desync every few minutes.

All that said, if Nintendo gave responsibility for the Metroid series back to Retro, I might have to suck it up, take the pain, and buy the thing.

Assuming, of course, Retro can churn out another (good) Metroid Prime type venture.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Zhukov said:
I'm curious to see how it does.

Zero interest for me personally though. So far as I can tell the only reason to buy a Nintendo console over any other platform is to play Nintendo games. Since I have absolutely zero interest in Nintendo's games, their console has no appeal to me.

It has the whole mobility thing going, but if I want to play a game on the go I'll do it on my phone, a thing that I'm already carrying and fits in my pocket. If I'm carrying a bag big enough to hold a Switch then I'll already have a book in it, so I'm covered.
If I want gaming on the go, I'll grab my DS. Atleast those will last longer than 2 hours. One of my biggest pet peeves with the Switch is that it has 3 parts that each require batteries, and the Joy-Cons are not rechargeable when using the handheld dock for them (forgot what it was called exactly). Rieks of terrible design.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's all about the games for me, and the Switch has absolutely nothing to offer me, certainly not for the first year. I could stomach all the gimmicky bullshit if meant we'd get some fresh new IPs, or any other IPs that aren't Zelda, Mario, Mario Cart, or Smash, but it doesn't look like that's in the cards.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Casual Shinji said:
It's all about the games for me, and the Switch has absolutely nothing to offer me, certainly not for the first year. I could stomach all the gimmicky bullshit if meant we'd get some fresh new IPs, or any other IPs that aren't Zelda, Mario, Mario Cart, or Smash, but it doesn't look like that's in the cards.
One of the things holding me back for now I think. I hope the thing does well enough that it is around when I'm ready but the biggest games coming out are Zelda (just got Wind Waker HD and plan on getting Twilight Princess), Mario Kart (Got it) Don't doubt Smash Brothers (Got it for Wii U) Super Mario (I a Super Mario 64 for the Wii U).

I'm tempted as I am a loon for this stuff, but we need more than slightly shinier versions of games we already have.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
The switch is region free so I am positive about it. The Wii U had some great games but they all were censored in their US release in one form or another but it also was region locked, preventing imports from Japan from working, so I ended up not getting the system.

I don't think it has value to get right now, of course, but then again no brand new system is worth getting on release date unless the release title is your favorite game of all time and I personally only really care for pokemon as far as first party nintendo stuff goes so it having Zelda means nothing to me.

Out of the announced games for the switch so far, the only game I am really excited about is a new No More Heroes game. Whenever that game hits, that's when I'll get a switch.

Sealpower

Jun 7, 2010
Well, I for one as pre-ordered a Switch and a copy of the limited edition of Zelda.
(It was a late Saturday night, I was weak... I don't want to talk about it).

Because, screw the haters!
(Yea, we'll see about that, I doubt it will be the dumbest thing I've ever thrown a lot of money at, but still... Make your console purchases sober, kids!)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'm not impressed with Nintendo right now. The only games on the line up right now that interest me are Mario and Zelda and I'm not buying a new console just for those, not this time. Besides that, what's with them withholding the Virtual Console? That's like something EA would do. "Hey you know that feature that everyone loved? Durrrrrrrr Let's not include that at launch." At least they're not charging money for it.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
It really looks like a great piece of hardware, just completely crippled by poor planning. Why is this even coming out now? 1-2 Switch sounds like a good demonstration of what the system can do like Wii Sports, but Nintendo says they can't include it to "keep the price down." Hey guys, you own the game, your system comes with onboard storage, and you set the price. It would cost Nintendo almost nothing to throw a potential system seller in. It's getting to be self sabotage at this point. And honestly, the last Nintendo game I really liked was Link Between Worlds and that was nearly four years ago. They just aren't interested in the types of games I like anymore. One Advance Wars on this thing might be enough to sell me.

Alternate troll post: No thanks, I already have a Vita.