Letters to the Editor: Anti/Villain

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Anti/Villain

Each week we publish letters sent to us regarding previous issues and highlight particularly interesting forum posts. If you'd like to comment on an article directly, send your letter to [email protected].

Read Full Article

copycatalyst

Nov 10, 2009
Interesting comment Ms Winter. When I watched the Love Song video I thought that Yahtzee is about as sexist as he is racist, homophobic, etc. Making sexist jokes as a persona doesn't make someone sexist.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
The final comment from Alice Winter was a particularly fine one.
copycatalyst said:
Interesting comment Ms Winter. When I watched the Love Song video I thought that Yahtzee is about as sexist as he is racist, homophobic, etc. Making sexist jokes as a persona doesn't make someone sexist.
I didn't actually watch any more than about 5 seconds of Muses song, because I absolutely hated it, so I had no idea what that whole thing was about. She'd have to be pretty dense to think Yahtzee is sexist; as you said, it's a persona, and if it falls under the rule of funny it'll always be used.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
"Is it okay to be the way - the way that I am?"

I suppose I should surmise from Alice Winter's commentary on the song that her reply is a negative on that query. Somewhat amusing that the question is asked and answered. Well-written letter, though perhaps overstated (She portrays herself as a psychopath? Really?).

ThrashJazzAssassin

Jan 5, 2010
Yay, quoted! I'm really glad my post was reprinted here; its purpose was to encourage people who have good creative ideas but are uncertain whether they can do anything about them, so the extra exposure can't hurt.

Although now the sentence that didn't quite feel right, but which I couldn't be bothered to edit any more at the time, will bug me forever. :p