Letting Kids Play M for Mature Games.

Arfreid

Aug 13, 2009
I think parents should talk to their children before letting them play M games... just to make sure the kid sees a game just like a game, a fantasy.

If that mindset is cool, then I see no problems.

pope_of_larry

Oct 18, 2009
i'v been play "M" games sense i was 10 i and i dont think i change what i did in life at any point in life.

Larkin99

Feb 14, 2010
furnatic said:
And parents wonder why kids are having sex and shooting each other at such an early age.
Because clearly none of those problems ever existed before M rated videogames.

OT: I think it all comes down to the maturity of the child. I don't think they should be exposed to anything like over 12s before the age of 10, but as they get older, if the parent knows they're responsible enough to distinguish fantasy from reality, then they can be allowed to play more mature games.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
I say drop 15+ games to 13+ and 18+ to 16+.
At 13 you're already exposed to violence in media, whether its on the news or in the history books. There is an added factor with it being interactive violence, but provided the kid isn't a sociopath and has decent parents they'll be fine.
As for the 18+ rating, drop it to 16, because here in Aus you can have sex at 16 (I don't personally think you should) and any extreme violence in a game isn't gonna be super realistic. Even with the most spectacular looking modern games, you can tell its fake.

Then enforce these restrictions... hard.
Someone who hasn't even begun puberty shouldn't be exposed to over the top violence, regardless of how many people here "turned out fine" its not healthy for a child to be exposed to it. Children need to be allowed to be children, Why a 9 yr old or a 10 yr old need to be mowing down civilians for kicks is beyond me.

flipsalty

May 11, 2010
afaceforradio said:
VanityGirl said:
Nothing bothers me more when I see a parent go into gamestop, pick up a title like Manhunt and say "Oh yeah, my 8 year old would like this".

It gives me a sense of slight disdain as I see an obvious nongamer pick up a game for their gamer kid without any knowledge on the content of the game.

My buddy who works at Gamestop told me that he had a woman come in and grab a copy of GTAIV. The guy, being a good employee, asked if she'd ever played a GTA before.
The lady responded, "Oh this isn't for me, it's for my 7 year old son". The man aked her if she knew anything about Grand Theft auto. The woman responded with a simple "No".
After explaining that you can buy hookers, drugs, beat people to death, shoot police, and all the other things you can do, the woman (who wasn't listening) just said OK and still bought the game.

Before I get the "Well if they're mature enough argument" let's step back and think.

DO you remember how you acted a 5-10? Most likely you weren't the cream of the crop maturity wise. I sure wasn't. I climbed trees and played Scoooby Doo and Boogerman on my Genesis!

I don't mind when parents let their kids play games, but I do mind that they aren't taking a more active role in watching what their kids play.
These are the same people who look back 20 years later and say "Why is my kid so fucked up?"

What is your opinion on the matter?
It's a federal offense to supply an underage person with an age-rated item, she shouldn't have been sold the item by law!

I hate it myself. Same with films. Age ratings are there for a reason.
Game ratings aren't managed by the Federal government, instead by an independent body, the ESRB. Therefor it technically is not illegal to supply a minor with a mature game. It is however illegal for a retailer to sell a mature game directly to a minor.

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
my 10yr old brother plays Halo and Call of Duty on xbox live, much to my dismay...We all know what the MW2 online community is like, and i don't want my lil brother influence by that.

Leviathan_

Jan 2, 2009
Myrddin Emrys said:
I don't have a problem with letting kids play the game so long as they know and recognize that it isn't real and in no way meant to happen. If I had a child and they did something wrong and it was in any way related to a game they played, I'd take the game from them. I likely wouldn't be giving my seven year old child GTA though, but I wouldn't keep all M rated games away.

However, I don't support a parent ignorantly buying a game for a kid. I worked at a GameStop for a short period of time and had a similar situation occur and by law I had explained the same situation to the mother and she simply nodded and bought the game. She came back a few days later ranting and raving about how she couldn't believe I sold her the game.

So in all reality, it really depends on both the child and the parent. If the child can't accept that it isn't real then they shouldn't have it. If the parent is too ignorant to pay attention to what they are giving their kids-- they probably won't notice if their kid is messed up or realize why.

This just about sums up my opinion, thanks for saving me from typing it out :D

sabercrusader

Jul 18, 2009
im 15 still and i can play most M games, my mom askes me what it is M for on the ESRB rating system and if she dosen't approve then i don't get the game, simple as that.

i mean seriously, im 15 and my mom BARELY let me get GTA 4, and thats not even the worst of them in terms of content. and yeah she woulden't get me red dead redemtion either so i can tell my mom is informed about the games.

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
i have seenn a woman at Walmart trying to return GTA because she bought it for her lil kid and was offended after she heard him playing it. The employee said that they couldnt accept it and she should have read the rating and the reasons for the rating...i laughed because i hate people who ignore the label and then get upset.

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
I would say that there is a slight mislabeling in game certificates. I think 12's should be 10's, 15's should be 12's and 18's should be 15's and that there should be no 18 rating. However kids under 10 shouldn't be playing games above a 12 at the very worst. I think it's really stupid that parents like the one the OP described buy a game that's clearly unsuitable for children for their 8 year old kids and then blame the games and developers when their kids grow into spoilt, violent little fucks. BUt hey, you can't realisticly tell people how to raise their kids. so their ain't much we can do about it.

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
Meh, I don't see the big deal. We were playing violent games like the first GTA when I was a kid.

Granted I did time for attempted murder... but it's unrelated.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I don't think that video games do cause any damage to a child's mental health. With that said, I don't really think that at that age they should be playing games like GTA. The content is still not good. Not mentally scarring, but still not a positive influence. I don't think it would influence any major actions, but it could make them more comfortable with swearing and the like way too early. While swearing in itself isn't damaging, it's still not the best portrayal of a child, and they shouldn't begin spewing it, especially at that age.

And since other people are sharing their personal story on the matter, here's mine. 16 now, 17 in a month. I started playing games like GTA when I was 12. My parents never really cared about the rating on a game, except when it would come to a game with a lot of stigma attached to it, like GTA or Manhunt. At 12, they stopped caring, and would buy me whatever game I felt like provided I gave them my money first. After turning 15, I was told I looked old enough to be about 19-20, so I decided to try to buy an M game. It worked fine, I wasn't even ID'd. Now I just buy whatever I want.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
I would probally think a more simple to understand age system, similar or the same as films set out the same way: U, PG, 12, 15, 18.
In Australia you have to ask for 18+ games which is a shame as when I buy games in a store Browsing random games of all levels is fun.
Unless making the perches of M games harder, like having to show ID, if a parent asks for a game not for them asking for the age of the child and then refusing sale if under age.
But really I dont know there is probally something that can be done. Just got to brain-storm ideas.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
Penguinness said:
Mezmer said:
I find it extremely wrong. I had good parents, every time I asked for a rated M game as a kid, they just gave me a look that said "No way in hell". I can't imagine letting a kid playing GTA. They don't need it. I played Pokemon and Jak and Daxter as a kid, kept me entertained for embarrassingly large amounts of time. I think I played my first M game when I was...12 or 13? But it was Oblivion, which was supposed to be rated T so I guess that barely counts.
How do you find it extremely wrong if you don't know?
I just meant i think its wrong and sad that a parent wouldn't even take the time to read the label or know what the game is about before they expose their children to it. It exposes them to world they don't really understand and shouldn't experience until they're older. It'd be like letting a five year old watch Pulp Fiction.

Brownie101

Feb 10, 2009
Now, I know I wasn't very mature at 5-10 years old, but I pretty much had my dad watching what I did the whole time. Of course, he was a gamer too so it didn't bother me, in fact, he helped me along.
It's because of him I am where I am. The whole argument of parents buying their underage children games is mostly valid, I agree. However, if the parent does have a real interest, games can be used as a serious bonding method. I wouldn't be half as close with my dad if it wasn't for Command And Conquer (Westwood's. The good ones.).

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
one those case where the Clerk should have just said "sorry madam i can't in good conscience let you buy this game for a 7 year old. How about lego batman? or any of the Lego games?"

but whatever she was warned. She cant *****! Gamestop man did his job.

Fail parenting always a good laugh.

Clockwerk133

Jul 7, 2009
My parents had issues with me playing rated T games before the recommended age as well as rated M, but I turned out fine.

The main issue I have with kids playing rated M games is more towards the fact I don't want to be listening to them in online multiplayer.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
When I was that age I was playing games like Pikmin... the most mature game I ever played at that point was Street Fighter II[footnote]However, I was being babysat by someone once when I was a kid and they had this PS1 game I think... it started in this room and they had a magnum that exploded the zombies heads and there was a boss who beat someone to death with a huge concrete pipe I think and had purple blood... anyone know what game that is?[/footnote]... now, I'm a firm believer that kids should be allowed to play whatever they want but this is a bit much. Kids need to be kids, you know? I still had an imagination back then and I would set up pillows to make a makeshift bouncy house at that age. Kids don't need to be trying to act like adults...