LeVar Burton Wants to Bring Back Reading Rainbow

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Well, it's a good show to bring back, honestly. I support this. Not monetarily, obviously, I haven't the cash and it's already been funded anyway, but I'm cheering from the sidelines.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
wulfy42 said:
I've been an avid reader my whole life, but sadly, by the time reading rainbow came around in the 80's I had long since moved on to adult science fiction and fantasy (I read Dune in 3rd grade for the first time and loved both heinliens books and Piers Anthony's books in the late 70's (still in elementary school at the time).
That's exactly how I was too. I read The Count of Monte Cristo and Moby Dick when I was six years old (late '83) and so Reading Rainbow was somewhat below my radar even though I was squarely in its target age group. But on the off-chance that I caught an episode of the show, I still enjoyed it because of LeVar's personality. Glad to see he's set on bringing his magic to a new generation!

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Worgen said:
I-I cant resist, I have to post this.

God damnit Worgen, it's midnight here, and I'm trying not to wake everyone up with laughter.

OT: I wish I had enough money to throw at this for that picnic, RR's a damned good cause to Kickstart.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
I....I...I... I AM STRICKEN..... I dont know what to say I am so happy about this and the fact it has reached its goal so quickly is just amazing.... I think my faith in humanity has returned

LETS ALL SING ALONG

Briantb

Feb 6, 2014
The Rogue Wolf said:
So this Kickstarter has been active for all of one day, and it's already gotten one and one half million dollars pledged.

For Reading Rainbow.

I... I've got this weird feeling inside my chest, guys. I think it... it might be actual hope for humanity.
I gotta say I'm the same way. First read the story, thought it was cool didn't think it would get the backing needed to be successful but checked out Kickstarter to see where it was at and I was happy/surprised to see it backed in less then 12hrs. Personal still think humanity will wipe it self out but I'm glad to see we still do the occasional good thing.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
Pretty neat but I don't see a stretch reward where LeVar has to wear the visor in every episode. Seems like a pretty large oversight on their part.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Zacharious-khan said:
Pretty neat but I don't see a stretch reward where LeVar has to wear the visor in every episode. Seems like a pretty large oversight on their part.
You not tempted by the $10,000 Star Trek reward they have there to have dinner with LeVar and get a photo of yourself wearing the original visor...? Someone has considering its gone, which is insane! :/

Great to see this kind of project getting traction though, yay for literacy!

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Yeah! We didn't even get Reading Rainbow over here and yet I am still filled with childlike joy.
This is awesome.

Also, Brent Spiner cameo! You should consider checking out his Fresh Hell [https://www.youtube.com/user/freshhellseries/videos] series on youtube, it's pretty good.
It also might make that reward tier where you get to wear Geordi's visor extra funny.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Well, I suppose you could say the project got funded at...warp speed!

In all seriousness, this is pretty dang awesome and more than a little inspiring. It's heartwarming to see people responding with such enthusiasm for a worthwhile program like this.

Make it so, Mr. La Forge!

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Pretty cool, and already fully funded. Good job, Mr.Burton.
Personally, I love reading, and I think it's a vital part of education and character building in general.

Also, 1/4th of American children grow up to be illiterate? Really? That seems like a huge problem.

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
wulfy42 said:
i didnt watch the show either being the other side of the pond so didnt really know about the show till he did the guest spot on community, but looking at the time he spent doing the show he has a real passion for books and reading and the show was never just about a paycheck for him

im not sure if the update was done by the time you posted but go have a look at it. they were videoing levar watching it hit $1mil and then he did a little thank you to camera afterwards. his reaction felt very real to me. if he was a good enough actor to fake that sort of reaction then he wouldnt need to do a dodgy kickstarter campaign he would have been able to grift someone a long time ago and be set for life.

i know there is the temptation of once bitten twice shy with the internet and the crap that you are exposed to almost on a daily basis but sometimes you have to have some faith that not everyone on earth has a heart blacker than coal.

im tempted to donate myself even though i nor any relative of mine would see any direct benefit from the program. saying that i feel an affinity towards their goals as, my no doubt terrible grammar and spelling will attest, im dyslexic and if it were not for my parents encouraging me to read from a very young age im sure i could have fallen through the cracks and maybe ended up in that alarming 25% statistic of theirs about illiteracy in children.

i know im preaching to the converted a bit but sometimes its better to trust until proven otherwise than the other way round especially in situations like this.