Levels of drunkenness

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Of course, this only applies to people who drink alcohol, so if you don't (at all), you can stop reading this.

I came up with three grades of drunkenness a few years ago, and have not been able to come up with any better summary of drunkenness since.
As such, I would like you fellow Escapist drinkers of alcohol to tell me how these categories of drunkenness, summarize your drunkenness.

Green-line:
At this level, you have had 1-2 beers/drinks and you can feel that you are drinking, but there are no adverse effects to your drinking yet.

Yellow-line:
At this level, you think more clearly/better, and you are more social. You can carry on more philosophical conversations and understand more philosophical conversations at this level, than when you are normally completely sober. You are also super talkative and your social inhibitions are neutralized almost entirely. The only draw-back to this level, is that it is difficult to maintain, because it is very easy to slip into red-line.

Red-line:
At this level, you have had way too much to drink. It is very likely that you will throw up or pass out soon. Either way, at this point, you are unable to think clearly/quickly, and whenever you talk to someone, you find yourself repeating yourself often and talking loudly. It is unlikely you realize you are talking loudly, but others will notice this right away. it is also very unlikely you are able to carry on intelligent conversation at this point. The "generic" drunk signs are also prevalent: difficulty with spelling, walking, talking, inability to stay still, drowziness, etc.

So fellow Escapists that consume alcohol, how do these three categories sum up your drunkenness?

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
I would like to add, that I really love Summer!
I can watch as much anime, as many movies, play as many games, as i want to, and there is no one (besides my job) in my way to stop me :DDD

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
When I actually drink to get drunk I'm a red-liner, but I've never thrown it up. Casually I'm more of a green-liner.

Shymer

Feb 23, 2011
I am much more quiet drunk than I am sober - a few drinks makes me withdraw socially, upsets my calm and increases my inhibitions. As such I seldom drink much.

However on a few occasions I have got to the point where I am so drunk I start trying to declaim in iambic pentameter. That probably corresponds to "talking loudly".

Your yellow category doesn't seem to reflect my experience very well. Sorry.

goatzilla8463

Dec 11, 2008
Drunkeness is something that I've found really hard to give a magnitude. I reckon that it kinda depends on the company you are with.

I think this because I've been taking off clothes after one beer and I've been taking clothes off after 5 beers. All down to my moods at the time and who I'm with as well as the direction of the conversation :)

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
You're kind of missing out the massive stage in between the yellow line and the red line, are you not?

Certainly, there's a stage I go through where i'm pretty fucked but not so badly that I need to whitey or pass out.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
According to that... I'm a permanent yellow-liner (my visual alacrity goes up, weirdly, or at least that's what it feels like), until I drink enough to just fall asleep (never puked after getting drunk, thankfully).

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Shymer said:
I am much more quiet drunk than I am sober - a few drinks makes me withdraw socially, upsets my calm and increases my inhibitions. As such I seldom drink much.

However on a few occasions I have got to the point where I am so drunk I start trying to declaim in iambic pentameter. That probably corresponds to "talking loudly".

Your yellow category doesn't seem to reflect my experience very well. Sorry.
Well, the 4 people that I have been able to talk to about yellow-line drunk have been very similar to my own experience of yellow-line, so that is why my "yellow-line" is different from yours.

That being said, I would like to hear about your own "leveling" system of drunkenness, even if it just corresponds to my level of drunkenness minus/plus the features of your own experience.

Red Right Hand said:
You're kind of missing out the massive stage in between the yellow line and the red line, are you not?

Certainly, there's a stage I go through where i'm pretty fucked but not so badly that I need to whitey or pass out.
Would you care to describe when yellow-line ceases to be red-line and becomes ???-line?
Or when Red-line becomes that therribled-??? line ?

For me, yellow goes into red quite fluently.
And its been that way for about 4 years, lol.

Zyntoxic

May 9, 2011
I'm pretty good at staying in that "yellow line", and the times I do cross over to the "red line" the afterwards stories are more than enough to keep me happy anw, since I rarely throwup even when drinking too much.

btw, is it just me and my experience, but isn't it near to impossible to get drunk when in a foul mood? I have yet to succeed.
if I'm in a bad mood and my friends wants to go out I decline since there is no point in me drinking if I wont feel it anw, might as well have a coke then...

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
In my own personal experience:

Torrasque said:
Yellow-line:
At this level, you think more clearly/better, and you are more social. You can carry on talking shit and understand more shit at this level, than when you are normally completely sober. You are also super talkative and your social inhibitions are neutralized almost entirely. The only draw-back to this level, is that it is difficult to maintain, because it is very easy to slip into red-line.
Seriously, do those conversations still seem deep and intellectual when you wake up in the morning? I know for me they seem to be amazing at the time but I tend to wake up and facepalm. Don't get me wrong, they're normally funny and everyone has a laugh over it but I don't think anyone has inspiring, intellectually stimulating conversations when they're pissed.

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
I don't drink often, but when the opportunity presents itself, (and I don't need to drive), I red line. Hard. Usually takes me 2 days to get over the hang over. Then i don't drink again for another year or two. Gotta make the most of it!

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Most of the time I manage to stay in the yellow line but on occasions I've slipped into red. Unlike a lot of my friends I can also be quite happy just staying in the green zone.

MrStab

Mar 24, 2011
Good effort at categorising them the ones my mates and I use are a bit different though.

The first is generally known as "a few quiet ones" where you just a have a few drinks but not enough to get any of the effects.

Next we have "Tipsy" you can feel that you're drinking but you are still in a state where all your choices are reasonable you may start to slurr in your words or have heightened emotions or a small boost of confidence.

Now you're "drunk" you have a noticeable slurring in your speech while speaking you may be noticeabley louder at times but not continuously. You begin to lose proper sentence structure and perhaps have issues with stability.

After getting drunk you proceeded to drink some more and have become "smashed" you aren't yet yelling however you are louder when you speak your emotions are greater than the normally would be and you may not be able to successfully pour a drink, you may make choices that you don't normally make like striking up a conversation with someone you don't often talk or you may end up doing "stupid shit"

So you got smashed and decided to hit the drinks some more and go hard this can be known as a number of things be it "fucked up", "plastered" or "para" but is commonly referenced to as "****'s fucked" at this point you are very loud will find yourself repeating your words so others can make full understanding of them chances are you will here about how far gone you were or something you did in the morning. You may lose your ability to type/text and you may also pass out or throw up.

That's generally how we go by it some how I always end up in the "****'s fucked" stage maybe I need to stop having a whole bottle to myself.

MrStab

Mar 24, 2011
Colour-Scientist said:
In my own personal experience:

Torrasque said:
Yellow-line:
At this level, you think more clearly/better, and you are more social. You can carry on talking shit and understand more shit at this level, than when you are normally completely sober. You are also super talkative and your social inhibitions are neutralized almost entirely. The only draw-back to this level, is that it is difficult to maintain, because it is very easy to slip into red-line.
Seriously, do those conversations still seem deep and intellectual when you wake up in the morning? I know for me they seem to be amazing at the time but I tend to wake up and facepalm. Don't get me wrong, they're normally funny and everyone has a laugh over it but I don't think anyone has inspiring, intellectually stimulating conversations when they're pissed.
A few of us used to talk about our physics shit before we got too drunk we stopped because people looked at us weird and walked away so yes you can but it is only advisable to a certain degree.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
MrStab said:
Good effort at categorising them the ones my mates and I use are a bit different though.

The first is generally known as "a few quiet ones" where you just a have a few drinks but not enough to get any of the effects.

Next we have "Tipsy" you can feel that you're drinking but you are still in a state where all your choices are reasonable you may start to slurr in your words or have heightened emotions or a small boost of confidence.

Now you're "drunk" you have a noticeable slurring in your speech while speaking you may be noticeabley louder at times but not continuously. You begin to lose proper sentence structure and perhaps have issues with stability.

After getting drunk you proceeded to drink some more and have become "smashed" you aren't yet yelling however you are louder when you speak your emotions are greater than the normally would be and you may not be able to successfully pour a drink, you may make choices that you don't normally make like striking up a conversation with someone you don't often talk or you may end up doing "stupid shit"

So you got smashed and decided to hit the drinks some more and go hard this can be known as a number of things be it "fucked up", "plastered" or "para" but is commonly referenced to as "****'s fucked" at this point you are very loud will find yourself repeating your words so others can make full understanding of them chances are you will here about how far gone you were or something you did in the morning. You may lose your ability to type/text and you may also pass out or throw up.

That's generally how we go by it some how I always end up in the "****'s fucked" stage maybe I need to stop having a whole bottle to myself.
This sounds right.
Sorry OP, but I think this is a better definition. It's broad enough to be both general and allow for individual experience.

I always seem to get to some level of 'fucked up'. I might be very 'fucked up', or only a little 'fucked up', according to who I'm drinking with, and whether I have work the next day (I tend to avoid drinking when I have work next day).

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
MrStab said:
Colour-Scientist said:
A few of us used to talk about our physics shit before we got too drunk we stopped because people looked at us weird and walked away so yes you can but it is only advisable to a certain degree.
Well I assume that yellow-line means pretty tipsy so you can have those type of conversations if you like but they're hardly going to be as coherent and well thought out as they would be if you were sober.

grehembelly

May 18, 2011
Strange thing I never feel sick while I drink Vodka but have so many times when I throw up after drinking to much beer.