Liana K: New Escapist Staff

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
Not a huge fan of gators in general, but I haven't heard anything about her yet that makes me think 'complete asshole', so I'll hold off on the torches and pitchforks.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Vault101 said:
Jake Martinez said:
soo...if someone does't agree with something someone might call them names?

oh please..

I was referring mainly to the kind of feminism that a.)happens to not be very feminist and b.) the kind that leave out certain groups like transgender people of differing race and economic backgrounds

PaulH said:
Also, why is this actually cropping up in a discussion?
probably my fault...I mentioned it
Ahhh, no problem.

If you're interested in feminism however, I 'll give a quick rundown about the essentialism vs. existentialism in the spoiler below. (I don't want to clutter the forum of what should be a welcoming)

Basically the feminism that leaves out the existence of transgender people (we are quite the spanner in the proverbial gears of existence when it comes to debating the 'truth' of essentialism) is any feminism based upon essentialist rhetoric, particularly about the universality of womanhood or manhood. The idea that there is a universality of experience between all women, everywhere, throughout history, regardless.

It's what I like to call 'First World Feminism' ... mainly due to the correspondence of women like the womanist Audre Lorde had about how this idea of universal sorority via Mary Daly's book Gyn/Ecology didn't work. One that tended to treat the problems of white, middle class women as equal to impoverished, third world women. More infamous was Mary Daly's reply being effectively; 'You should suck it up for the sake of sorority.'

Primary problem with essentialist philosophy is there is no universal person, only the potentiality for universally recognizable liberty of a person.

Even though Beauvoir didn't know about genetics, her writings seem to be ever more proven that one is not born woman, but becomes woman through self-authentication of their womanhood. Existentialism covers all the things essentialism doesn't like to discuss, like the failure of categorizing male and female as merely genetic binary equations. All the while it also gives us the tools to fight back against treating men and women as merely the bits and pieces that bump into eachother. Humans > sum of parts, not = to or <.

Saddens me that many people still seem so intellectually bankrupt to assume humans are equal to the baby making bits. Who would wish such a world, and where would we get the time to create and memorise all pronouns necessary to encompass the multiplicity of genetic and age related causes that cause a great deal of people to exist beyond a false idea of genetic binaries of physical identity?

More to the point, if people want to argue sex = gender ... then why don't we merely create two pronouns, not based around gender at all?

We'll call them 'Ferts' and 'Inferts'. We'll also get certain people everywhere to wear pink triangles if they are ... wait just a gosh darn minute, this sounds all too familiar.

Anyways ... welcome Liana K! Here's hoping you can teach me stuff about stuff! I love design and patternmaking, and I might give cosplaying a whirl or two again.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
So no actual content to go on, you just threw the name in here and then doused it in political shit right at the start.
I'm sure everyone would feel very welcome with that kind of introduction...

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I'm very excited to start work on a positive, fun, drama-free show about cosplay and cosplayers
Ok, I think I'm out.

I'm sure this is a very lovely person, who is talented and passionate and all of that good stuff. Probably a wonderful human being to boot. However, when new hires have to start by reinforcing "positive, fun, drama-free", it shows the absolute state of this site and gaming media in general.

It's ironic that for all the GG whining about "better games media", their infantile tantrums have soured most sites, turning them into a battlefield. I read a post by Archon on another thread where he stresses that some people have left leaning politics, some have right leaning, and that this place was non-partisan and happy (although apparently the increase of right-leaning contributors just so happen to be pitching for the Escapist more nowadays). It's a shocking state of affairs where openly discriminatory and hateful is now par for the course of "right leaning" on games sites, while in the real world even the staunchest of conservatives would shudder at the bile and hate spewed from some of the "community" now.

I disagree that the Escapist is a sinking ship - some place needs to host the people other sites banned.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Verlander said:
I read a post by Archon on another thread where he stresses that some people have left leaning politics, some have right leaning, and that this place was non-partisan and happy (although apparently the increase of right-leaning contributors just so happen to be pitching for the Escapist more nowadays). It's a shocking state of affairs where openly discriminatory and hateful is now par for the course of "right leaning" on games sites, while in the real world even the staunchest of conservatives would shudder at the bile and hate spewed from some of the "community" now.
Yes, I saw that too.

"If you see some content here from people that hold right-wing views more frequently than in the past, it's because more right-wing journalists are pitching us these days."

Archon mate, that might possibly be because no one else wants to touch this site with a 10-foot barge pole anymore.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Jux said:
Not a huge fan of gators in general, but I haven't heard anything about her yet that makes me think 'complete asshole', so I'll hold off on the torches and pitchforks.
You're mislabeling Ms. Kerzner by implying her "gatorhood". She is just one of the rare exceptions in the field of "gaming journalism" who can engage in the discussion with an open mind and no compulsion to hysterical scaremongering. A respectable commentator, in other words.

I'm happy to welcome her to The Escapist, although I wish she'd be writing about games. Cosplay is not my thing, and the lady seems to really know her gaming.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
This could be an interest show. I never really thought about cosplay before those "checkout these cosplays from comiccon" pieces (and I don't go to conventions at all) but it looks quite fascinating.

kampfturke

Apr 5, 2010
Liana K is a lovely person. She is adamantly anti fem freq and has written much about it.
She is NOT part of gamergate, but she has often talked to people about it. Seeing as she is not against GG, I bet there will be attacks against her from the anti side, which has happened alot before.

So lets support this woman and her right to have a different opinion. She is awesome

Jarmam

Jan 21, 2015
I'm not really into cosplay, but this is one potential way to spark my interest. Excited that the Escapist and Liana K have decided to brew this project. Will be looking forward to it.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Welcome Liana, though people here might have fits of rage at times, it's usually genuinely good place so long as you stay out of R&P. I look forward to seeing your content.

DOOM GUY

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Jul 3, 2010
Cosplay is a fun topic, it's not really something I do (perhaps if I had a different figure) but it's something I have some interest in.

Anyway, welcome Liana.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
FirstNameLastName said:
Why are people writing single paragraphs of their post into spoilers? They aren't spoiling anything, nor is it long enough to warrant being hidden by default. Just seems like a rather bizarre practice.
It's to stop the thread getting cluttered with mostly off-topic discussions about other things.

I wish her luck and welcome her to the site. But this makes me realise how many staff and contributors from when I first joined have left. I'm fairly sure everyone from back then has now been cycled out. This makes me sad. What's worse is the fact that this new show has to advertise itself as 'positive, fun and politics-free'.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hmmm is there a uniform for a cosplay writer?

Jake Martinez said:
Let's suppose for an instance that Feminism as an ideology is comprised of 20 propositions. Now, someone may agree wholeheartedly with propositions 1 through 19, but if they disagree or take issue with proposition 20, then what happens usually is charges of being an "anti-feminist", an "MRA", or some sort of *-phobia or *-ism.
Quite though possibly the charges aren't untrue. There's plenty of feminists that support X, Y and Z for women, just not trans women or black women, due to transphobia or racism.

Also:

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
StatusNil said:
Jux said:
You're mislabeling Ms. Kerzner by implying her "gatorhood". She is just one of the rare exceptions in the field of "gaming journalism" who can engage in the discussion with an open mind and no compulsion to hysterical scaremongering. A respectable commentator, in other words.

I'm happy to welcome her to The Escapist, although I wish she'd be writing about games. Cosplay is not my thing, and the lady seems to really know her gaming.
If it looks, walks and quacks like a duck, I'm gonna call it a duck. There have been a rare few gators I've found on the reasonable side, though for the life of me I can't figure out how they deal with the cognitive dissonance, but that's for another topic.

Hoping she can come here and provide good content while staying clear of the mess, but I won't be holding my breath.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
kampfturke said:
Liana K is a lovely person. She is adamantly anti fem freq and has written much about it.
She is NOT part of gamergate, but she has often talked to people about it. Seeing as she is not against GG, I bet there will be attacks against her from the anti side, which has happened alot before.

So lets support this woman and her right to have a different opinion. She is awesome
I think she has written two pretty substantive pieces on GamerGate that I thought were also two of the best produced pieces of games journalism I've seen on the topic. She's correctly identified the difference between people who are actually interested in clean journalism as well as protecting artistic freedom and managed to differentiate these people from the random assholes on the internet that like to stir shit. It's not to say she gives anyone a pass, but she's correct in saying (paraphrasing here) "Yes there is some hate speech, harassment and misogyny on behalf of some people associating themselves with this group, but that doesn't automatically invalidate what is clearly the majority of people who have legitimate grievances"

What's even more remarkable is that she was the target of some of that harassment herself and still managed to put out a piece that was both critical and fair. I have a lot of respect for anyone who can experience such negative abuse and then still manage to adhere to their professionalism, because let's face it - most of the prominent figures in games journalism these days have epic twitter rants over the most stupid things every day (I'm looking at you Ben Kuchara).

Also she wrote one of the most sensible paragraphs about the entire Assassins Creed "no playable female characters" fake controversy that I have ever read.

So back off, partisans of both stripes. You may have infected television with your polluted news services, and you may be infecting the Internet with your toxic websites. You've even gotten your mitts on films because you're got enough money to do it. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that when you start to infect my video games with your ideological nonsense, I stop playing those games. I actually like political examinations in my games like what we see in Assassin's Creed. But those games are character and story driven, and the mechanics support an artistic vision, not politics. Proof? Assassin's Creed Unity: they didn't include female multiplayer characters because the multiplayer in that game is embedded in the story. Every individual player's perspective is that they continue to play as Arno Dorian in the multiplayer, so Arno's story doesn't stop when the multiplayer begins. That's uniquely important in the Assassin's Creed franchise which is, as much as anything, an experiment in minimizing ludo-narrative dissonance. Arno suddenly having a sex change would be pretty major dissonance. The Assassin's Creed Unity decision to not include female playable characters was an artistic choice, not a political statement. I completely support Ubisoft's commitment to art, especially in light of the fact that they have had a female Assassin that was a good character, not a box on a political checklist.
Bonus points for respecting the intelligence of her readers enough to (correctly) use the phrase "ludo-narrative dissonance". I can't imagine any of the hacks over at Kotaku either being capable of, or even daring to, write something above a 5th grade reading level.

l0lwut

Jan 18, 2013
I'm really liking this hire and looking forward to her content here. This site has really come around, trimmed the fat and is now working out to develop its potentially awesome entertainment chops.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Verlander said:
I'm very excited to start work on a positive, fun, drama-free show about cosplay and cosplayers
Ok, I think I'm out.

I'm sure this is a very lovely person, who is talented and passionate and all of that good stuff. Probably a wonderful human being to boot. However, when new hires have to start by reinforcing "positive, fun, drama-free", it shows the absolute state of this site and gaming media in general.
Dude, it's a cosplay show. Why the hell would you cover industry problems or certain socio-political subjects in a goddamn cosplay show (unless you want to talk about cosplay etiquette which is apparently not obvious to some people)? There's plenty of room for that sort of stuff, and I'm wary of the current direction too, but I can't see any reason to react so negatively to such a statement this early.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
FirstNameLastName said:
Eh, I don't really care much for cosplay. Yay, I guess.

Why are people writing single paragraphs of their post into spoilers? They aren't spoiling anything, nor is it long enough to warrant being hidden by default. Just seems like a rather bizarre practice.
It's so people don't kick up a fuss over silly things. OP is trying to keep this thread about Liana K and not go back the "fun" that was the last time Morse got mentioned.

OT: More content is always good, considering it's rather...sparse nowadays. I look forward to giving her a shot and seeing if she produces something I'm interested in. If not, off with her head oh well, there's plenty of other places to get gaming content.
tilmoph said:
So is she just doing the cosplay series, or will she be doing any writing on gaming/ geekdom in general? Not to be negative, a cosplay series from someone known for their cosplay is a neat addition, Just wondering since I've seen her writing on other subjects, was wondering if she'd be doing that as well. She's a decent author, so I'd be fine with her doing a column.

In either event, welcome to the Escapist Liana!
I'm guessing it'll be a show at first and then depending on how well she's received/does, she could probably write a handful of articles here and there.