Lies Adults Told Me About Games

spiffleh

Jul 12, 2010
I most definitely was told by my mother that my eyes would turn square from extended computer or TV use (western Canadian for those with geographical curiosity). Then again I was also told that if I pouted a bird would poop on my lip. I'm fairly certain my parents just wanted me to be more active.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I thought eyes turning square was a TV thing...or rather a thing that was about TV. Everyone had heard it, but not as thing that could happen, as a silly thing someone made up as a joke.

Not heard the others.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FoolKiller said:
The ones I heard were that it would ruin your eyes. I looked into that eventually. Eye strain isn't the healthiest thing but you'll be fine in general as long as you take regular breaks.
Likewise, and in the 80s (when I was first gaming) the same was said of TV in general. And there was SOME level of debate on the subject at the time, though I didn't exactly have much access to peer-reviewed medical journals at 6.

I've never heard of these before.

Bbleds

Sep 6, 2011
Oh good times. I heard similar things growing up, but my absolute favorite child traumatizing rumor was told to me by my dear sweet aunt. After several long bouts of SNES at my cousin's house and refusing to do anything else, my aunt told me that too much videogaming can cause cancer.

Being around the age of 10, I just knew that cancer generally equals death and I'm pretty sure I cried and cowered in fear at the sight of that tantalizing grey console for a while.

I now love giving my aunt shit about that at family gatherings as she turns red and shakes her head at one of her not so proudest parenting moments. Of course I don't hold any resentment, I just find it hilarious and enjoy embarrassing her with this and and other fond childhood moments.

On a random note, maybe the bladder bursting was specifically a Sega Genesis side effect due to all that "blast processing".

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
My parents probably still think electronics give brain cancer or the flu or something