LIFE HAX!

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Yes, I don't think I've seen such a thread since...well, I don't think I've ever seen it, actually. So it's pretty much time, I'd say. So, let me start:

The reason I wanted to post this thread is because I found this video

THIS GUY IS A MESSIAH! I had my left ear blocked since yesterday. It happened last week, too, and it lasted for several days. It's seriously annoying. This trick is just amazing - tl;dw version: get a bottle and a pen, make a hole in the cap of the bottle and put the tube from the pen through it. Fill with warm water, pour it in your ear. Worked like a charm for me. (note: don't try it if you have an ear infection or what's called a "swimmer's ear")

Other stuff

Ants in the house

Last year we had a problem in my house - ants. They were getting in from outside and all over the kitchen inside (they hadn't found any food though). I read somewhere that cucumber peels were supposed to repel them, so I tried that. I had already ordered some ant poison from Amazon but decided to give that a spin by the time it arrived. I placed the cucumber peels just next to the crack they were getting in from.

In two days time the poison arrived and THE ANTS WERE GONE. The ant poison still sits there unopened because they never came back.

some school tricks

- stuck for references to add to your essay/paper/whatever? Check Wikipedia. Yeah, you've most likely used it to write it in the first place, but go and follow the references - include the ones that seem relevant. For bonus points, the references may have references themselves.

- OK, dunno if it still works, but I've used it extensively in high school - get your notes for an exam (preferably, one that doesn't allow notes) and print them in the lowest possible size. I've copied A4 papers to 12.5% (i.e., 1/8th) the size. You can then stack the papers and they wouls still be small enough to hide, but also good enough to read.

- related to the above FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT NUMBER THE NOTES. It wasn't only me - a lot of people were using this trick. But if you get caught, you might be able to keep at least part of the notes. One girl had two pairs of notes prepared in case, but when she got caught, the teacher saw she had "page 3/10" twice. Well, her second pair of notes wasn't of much use, afterwards. But try to not get caught.

- reverse image search - you can pick any image you want and with it. Really useful if you have an image of something but you don't know what. Right-click the image you want and select "Copy image URL" (or whatever it's called in your browser) and then just go straight to "Google [http://google.com], paste it in the search box and then click the link in "For matching images, try search by image" text that shows up under the search bar.

- install Lazarus - it's a browser addon. It's probably the most useful addon I've ever had - it saves text you type in. AMAZINGLY USEFUL! Especially if you accidentally nuke that message you spent so much time typing.

- if you need caffeine (usually in order to stay awake) but want to save some money, just buy caffeine tablets. For the cost of a pack of coffee, you get way, way more supply. Way cheaper than energy drinks, too (those are shit anyway). In general, a normal cup of coffee would have approximately 150-200mg caffeine - energy drinks usually have at most as much per can. AT MOST, Redbull, for example, has 80mg. Tablets come in usually 100mg or 200mg each and you can buy them in packs of 50, 100 and more. Guideline on dosage: 200mg should be enough for a dose, try to not go over about 300mg at a short-ish time (your hands might get shaky).

Anti life hax (basically, stuff that doesn't work
- And other related "elevator hacks". Ignore them. All of them. They don't work - you need to put the elevator in elevated privilege mode (actually, "manual mode") to get that behaviour. Unless you know how to do that, any "press these buttons to succeed at elevators" is rubbish. here is an hour long video on actual elevator hacks [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHf1vD5_b5I] - tl;dw: it's not pressing buttons.

-long complex passwords - rubbish again. Refer to xkcd[/url. This is how you make your passwords from now on. You can also use sentences. Actually, try to make them sentence-like at any rate - make sure you have a number and some sort of punctuation in your password - usually a "secure" password would need a number and a special character. The latter varies in definition but usually .?-,!"$%^&*() - so if you add some sort of punctuation (fullstop, or question mark, or an exclamation mark at the end, maybe some commas) it would cover that part. It's as safe (and probably more) from pure technical perspective and it's WAY easier to remember. You can also easily have unique passwords for everything, as you could incorporate some sort of identifying information (for you) in them.

Some of these you may know already, others you might not. but that's what I remember right now, I'll try to add more.

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
I'd prefer large needleless syringe, but that works too!

As for the Ants, neat! I wish I knew that earlier... at least they are gone after countless body count.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
When you're writing papers for school usually there's an arbitrary page count that you have to reach. If you're having trouble reaching that page count (or if you've met the minimum but want your page count to seem higher) there's a neat little trick I've learned that a lot of people don't know about.

If you're writing your paper in times new roman font size 12 you can select all the periods in your paper and make them size 14 instead and they look exactly the same, but increase the spacing between sentences. It seems like an incredibly minor detail but it adds a surprising amount of length to a paper, and the longer your paper the more length this trick adds, and no one will ever notice.

For example, if you have a 17 page paper (double spaced) and you do this trick your page count will go up to 19 pages. You get 2 free pages just from slightly increasing the font size of periods.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
When cooking a package of Ramen, don't add the seasoning while it's still in the pot. Instead, boil the noodles, pour into bowl while keeping water level fairly low, and then add and stir in the seasoning. You now have the entire packet of flavor in your broth instead of leaving most of it in the pot.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
I literally thought about these life hack thingies earlier today, and instead of googling it I'll ask you lovely people who seem to have read my mind.

Is there a way to get price/barcode stickers off of things. I got a new cup for my bathroom sink and the entire bottom of it is covered in a giant sticker. 1 brief attempt to peel it off revealed it was glued on insanely well and any attempt to peel it off would take forever and ultimately look worse than having the ugly sticker in the first place. Also the sticker is attached to a rubbery like material so my usual method of scraping isn't an option. I assume some one with too much free time found out that sticker adhesive is soluble in some silly chemical combination like warm water and maple syrup or something seemingly ridiculous.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
When you're writing papers for school usually there's an arbitrary page count that you have to reach. If you're having trouble reaching that page count (or if you've met the minimum but want your page count to seem higher) there's a neat little trick I've learned that a lot of people don't know about.

If you're writing your paper in times new roman font size 12 you can select all the periods in your paper and make them size 14 instead and they look exactly the same, but increase the spacing between sentences. It seems like an incredibly minor detail but it adds a surprising amount of length to a paper, and the longer your paper the more length this trick adds, and no one will ever notice.

For example, if you have a 17 page paper (double spaced) and you do this trick your page count will go up to 19 pages. You get 2 free pages just from slightly increasing the font size of periods.
Haha. Sneaky. But when I was still writing papers, we'd get word counts, not page counts... Terribly annoying. XD

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
AT God said:
I literally thought about these life hack thingies earlier today, and instead of googling it I'll ask you lovely people who seem to have read my mind.

Is there a way to get price/barcode stickers off of things. I got a new cup for my bathroom sink and the entire bottom of it is covered in a giant sticker. 1 brief attempt to peel it off revealed it was glued on insanely well and any attempt to peel it off would take forever and ultimately look worse than having the ugly sticker in the first place. Also the sticker is attached to a rubbery like material so my usual method of scraping isn't an option. I assume some one with too much free time found out that sticker adhesive is soluble in some silly chemical combination like warm water and maple syrup or something seemingly ridiculous.
Use lighter fluid or kerosene. It works like a charm to dissolve glue, and it evaporates very quickly so no mess. It doesn't even get paper wet really so you can use it on paperback books and stuff too.

Just pour a little on and wipe it with paper towel.

Your particular sticker sounds angry, but I have had great success doing this with various barcodes in the past.

Edit: depending on the sticker, you may want to scrape off as much as possible first and then just use this for the residue.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Oh yeah, hanging pictures. Most frames these days are the ones that you prop up on your desk, and don't really go up on the wall without a fight. And mounting tape rips up your wall and mounting nails are crap. So what I do is nail around the frame, one nail per corner, with the flat tops pressing the frame in. Granted, you have visible nails, but just claim it as your own personal style and have done with it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I had bookmarked these life hax a while back-

http://www.explosion.com/72917/simple-life-hacks-that-will-change-your-life-forever/ (There are some really handy tips.)

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/the-best-body-hacks-you-should-know.html (This site is somewhat dodgy well it's an ad heavy site so click with care.)

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
One of my weird ones.

When wiping a floor, stand on the towel or cloth (with clean feat) and shuffle around the room rather than bending down. Cleaning power and no knee/back strain.

Of course you look like a complete tit doing it, but massive effort saver :)

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Instead of using shaving cream or bar soap, I shave using liquid hand soap. I buy it by the gallon and just refill one of those small hand dispensers. The soap dissolves completely and doesn't clog up your blades. It's also much, much cheaper overall.

This one is just for cyclists:

If you ever blow out a bicycle tire's sidewall and all you have is a spare inner tube, you can get home using a potato chip bag or something like a Power Bar wrapper. It has to be that cheap plastic material that doesn't stretch. Carefully split the bag open at the seams, being very careful not to rip it in half. If you accidentally start a tear, simply take the loose material and force the tear outwards, leaving the majority intact.

Remove your ruined tire [footnote]You can remove a tire with just your hands if you have no tools. Stand with the wheel between your feet (make sure the valve stem is at the bottom near your feet) and pull up, being sure not to catch your fingernails on it. Pull to one side of the rim, then up at the center, then to the other side and repeat. You will eventually get enough of the tire over one side, at which point you switch from pulling to pushing downward. The kevlar used to make the tire beads is very strong and instead of stretching, the force used to push it over the rim will make the tire come off.[/footnote], lightly inflate your new/repaired innertube, and wrap the plastic completely around the innertube. Install your tube/tire like normal, making sure the plastic fully covers the damaged area of the tire from the inside.

I've used this only once to get home about 10 miles and it actually lasted for several days. Really, it didn't fail at all, I just bought a new tire because I was paranoid. The plastic/metallic material used to keep food fresh will easily tear, but only if you cut it. An undamaged piece is very hard to stretch and handles stress extremely well, even at 110 PSI.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Baffle said:
Nail varnish remover does a pretty good job too; also good for getting sealant off your hands and for huffing.
I did some huffing a while back when I forgot a blue pen in my dryer. I used an entire bottle of nail polish remover ($0.99 at a drugstore) and half a bag of cotton balls. Even after the ink was baked onto the enamel it came off with some elbow grease. The fumes were intense, not to mention dangerous, so I kept a fan nearby blowing away from me and dug out my old 3M respirator, which did a fantastic job of keeping me from dying.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
http://www.explosion.com/72917/simple-life-hacks-that-will-change-your-life-forever/ (There are some really handy tips.)
What on earth is number 11 on that list? Are they cleaning the keys? Because that is easier with a damp cloth on a Vaio due to the individual keys! :S

OT: I love how this is apparently now a thing again. I remember a programme called Trade Secrets that used to be used as a 10 min filler on the BBC. It was essentially this: People sharing ideas in certain themes around the home and life. From camping to washing up. It covered the basics, like how to soak a pan after the sunday roast whilst you eat, to stuff like you mention above. My mum used to love it, and got loads of tips from there.

I am struggling to think of anything, myself. I don't have much in the way that I need to set up, or think of stuff like this. The only one I can think that I do that is related to this kind of thing is always wrapping chicken with streaky bacon when cooking a roast to keep the moisture in... barely changes the flavour of the chicken, and means you can have a bacon sandwich for supper later! (Or the following morning's breakfast... or stick it in a bubble and squeak!)

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Frezzato said:
Instead of using shaving cream or bar soap, I shave using liquid hand soap. I buy it by the gallon and just refill one of those small hand dispensers. The soap dissolves completely and doesn't clog up your blades. It's also much, much cheaper overall.
Cheap sorbolene moisturiser also works really well for the same thing.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
AT God said:
Is there a way to get price/barcode stickers off of things.
I like a heat gun or hair dryer for this, get them hot and the adhesives of the type I've seen used for price/barcode stickers will come away breezily - in the most ideal situations, there isn't even any adhesive residue left to clean up. Just don't heat your fingers. :)

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Not sure many work in every day life but here are some:
- Thick appliance plastic is usually ABS(or ABS adjacent), which means it dissolves with acetone and more over glues right back together when the acetone evaporates. And if you put ABS in a sealed container with acetone everything will turn into thick sludge that can be used as plastic glue or filler, even if it dries out a splash of acetone will turn it right back into sludge.

- If you are tight on money when it comes to furniture then a great money saver is just putting a mattress on the floor, more importantly you can invest in a good mattress which is the part that really provides a healthy rest. And if you need extra space that mattress can get flipped right up against the wall and you get a gigantic extra chunk.

- If you are in need of cheap hand tools then stuff from a scrapyard will work just fine, some might come with even greater quality over lowest priced stuff in the shops. They might be rusty all over, but quality tool steel would take a century to degrade properly so a bit of sandpaper will have most in working order.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
TakerFoxx said:
When cooking a package of Ramen, don't add the seasoning while it's still in the pot. Instead, boil the noodles, pour into bowl while keeping water level fairly low, and then add and stir in the seasoning. You now have the entire packet of flavor in your broth instead of leaving most of it in the pot.
Wait, wasn't like this the way everybody did it? I am uncertain if I been cooking wrong or right my entire life...

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
Coca-Cola is great for removing food that is stuck to your saucepans and frying pans. Just let it boil for a while, and most foods dissolve in the stuff. Easy to clean afterwards, as well. (It only works for Coca-Cola, though, or so I've heard. Other Coke brands apparently aren't as good. Must be the secret ingredient...)

I've also heard that newspapers work wonders on your dirty windows. It apparently has something to do with the ink, but it's bound to make your windows clean. And you can clean most things overall with just soap water.

Oh, and one that most people might now, but nontheless is useful: Unsure if your spaghetti is done? Remove one spaghetti strand from the pot and throw it on a window or similar surface. If it sticks, it's done. I never use a timer when boiling spaghetti that isn't fresh; I've used this method instead, and it works like a charm. It works as well on the new stainless steel exhaust hood we have over our stove as it did on our old cast iron one.