Life Is Strange Live-Action Series Announced

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Life Is Strange Live-Action Series Announced

Legendary Digital Studios and Square Enix are teaming up to create a live-action series based on Life is Strange.

Legendary Digital Studios and Square Enix have announced that they are teaming up to give the episodic, time-traveling adventure Life is Strange [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/life%20is%20strange?from_search=1&&os=life+is+strange] its own digital series, to be developed and produced with Dmitri Johnson and Dan Jevons of dj2 Entertainment.

Life is Strange won the BAFTA for best story, the Peabody Award, the Golden Joystick's Performance of the Year, the Game Awards Games for Impact Award, and more than 75 Game of the Year awards and listings.

"Life is Strange is one of those rare properties that combines incredibly developed characters and storylines with deeply engaging gameplay," said Siegel. "It lends itself perfectly to live-action imaginings. We couldn't be more excited to partner with Square Enix, DONTNOD Entertainment and dj2 to bring the world of Arcadia Bay to life in an exciting new way."

"We're proud and excited to be working alongside Legendary to realise a new version of Arcadia Bay and Blackwell Academy complete with our rich cast of realistic, believable characters and memorable events," said Jon Brooke, VP Brand and European Marketing at Square Enix. "Now that the first episode of the Life is Strange game is free to download on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Mac and PC, there's never been a better time to play or to introduce a friend to the beautiful world of Arcadia Bay."

No time frame was given, as Legendary Digital Studios, Square Enix and dj2 are currently meeting with potential writers for the adaptation.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
its my favourite game full stop despite some issues like the silly stealth section and it needed a third option for the ending, but yeah im cautiously hopeful for the series

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh Christ, that sounds cringe inducing as all hell.

And that's coming from someone who kinda liked the game.

HaileStorm

Apr 15, 2014
Zhukov said:

Agreed. The dialogue is a bit iffy. I love it, but a live action version of people saying "What the fuck ever.", "Go fuck your selfie.", or "Go ape!" would be even more awkward and probably much less endearing. But that's just me.

I'd probably still check it out, because I loved the game (well at least the first 4 episodes.) The finale was kinda shit to be honest.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Honestly, considering how the game ended, this is probably something that would be better as a series.

I didn't like the story very much, especially since the game promised choice and consequence and really didn't deliver on that front. But adapting it into a series sounds like a better fit for the game's strengths.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I bet all those jackasses who turned it down for starring a girl are kicking themselves right now.

irish286

Mar 17, 2012
Would idiot producers quit turning animated things into live action please? It never works and does nothing but hurt the brand.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I, like many people, did not appreciate the very simple choice at the end. It's a GREAT set of choices and very heart wrenching, but they made the same mistake everyone else has in these choice based games. Our choices mean nothing and only amount to who says what or who shows up when and where. The ending is still the same between two options.

The only way these games can work (Not just Telltale-esque games but others like Mass Effect as well) is if these games give us like, nine different endings. I haven't seen that yet.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Zhukov said:

Bleh. Agreed.

I liked the game (quite a bit, really) but the show is going to need better writing. I can suspend my disbelief for a video game, because games about teenagers basically always come off as being written by what someone in their 30s thinks a teenager talks and acts like, and TV shows... basically do the same thing. Huh.

Well, at least no one will be able to say the show wasn't like the game.

step1999

Mar 11, 2010
Sheo_Dagana said:
Bleh. Agreed.

I liked the game (quite a bit, really) but the show is going to need better writing. I can suspend my disbelief for a video game, because games about teenagers basically always come off as being written by what someone in their 30s thinks a teenager talks and acts like, and TV shows... basically do the same thing. Huh.

Well, at least no one will be able to say the show wasn't like the game.
To be fair about the dialog, I've heard the slang is actually pretty realistic for the Pacific Northwest, it just sounds weird to everyone else.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
I have a baaad feeling about this. And I'm gonna hear a lot about it too since my buddy's SUPER into Life is Strange and binging on series/mini series/shows/etc.

Mayyyyybe they can write Chloe to be less of a complete wanker.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
After having recently finished this in the last few weeks, I have to wonder if they're going to retell the story of the game as a series....or just disregard the events entirely.

Because the game doesn't really lend itself well to either a sequel or a prequel, due to how things end up playing out. You want Chloe and Max hanging together in the show? You either set it during those 5 days or in an entirely different timeline where none of the time-wankery happened but somehow Chloe doesn't die in that bathroom(so a totally alternate universe, and presumably not the shiny red truck AU)).

So yeah.