Life is Strange; Yah or Nah

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
I know that "Life is Strange" got very good reviews BUT...I thought I remember people just hating the ending. Like...it was Mass Effect 3 bad if Mass Effect 3 was a time traveling indie film rather than the big scifi epic that it was. However, I don't really want to go into those ending discussions because...well...that would kind of defeat the purpose of purchasing said time traveling indie.

So please, without spoilers...

It is $10 on sale on Xbox Live right now. Is the ending THAT bad that it sours everything or did I misremember/make that complaint up? Would you buy it for $10? Should I get this rash looked at?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I bought it if anyone was wondering because I'm pretty sure everyone was on the edge of their seats awaiting my decision.
You already bought it, but add my voice to the "yea" pile. The ending was contentious but it's not even in the same league as Mass Effect 3. You have a choice between a strong/thematically appropriate ending, and a weird/unsatisfying ending. As long as you choose sensibly you should be fine.

As others have said, your choices "don't matter" in the same sense as they "didn't matter" in Telltale. As in, you don't shape one of a thousand tailored endings based on prior choices. All those choices do is decide the tenor of the game and your interactions with people. So they "don't matter" in the sense that they inform the entirety of the game play. =P

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
No the ending doesn't spoil the game. Okay, I probably would have done things differently if I was writing the story. But even if you don't like the last 2 hours, the first 12 are amazing, so you'd be silly to ignore it. Its my #2 game of 2015.

Jerast

Jul 17, 2015
The end was shit and predictable but for 10 bucks? Yeah it's definitely worth it.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Baffle said:
I should say, if you're over 30 it's going to make you feel really old.
I turn 30 in 6 days. I should be able to finish it that quick, right? :D

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Baffle said:
tippy2k2 said:
I turn 30 in 6 days. I should be able to finish it that quick, right? :D
Don't delay, time travel today!
Well now I HAVE to do it. You've brought this upon yourself

Although as the ultimate case of #firstworldproblems, I got so many games for Christmas/Birthday/Sales over the Holidays that it might be NEXT Christmas by the time I get to this one...

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
I just finished it and I think it's an excellent game, it's a very different but well done episodic story

The issue that I had with it is (spoilerish but not much)
The later episodes, starting with 4 take a very peculiar turn that isn't handled particularly well. I can follow any story as long as the people act consistently for their character but Life is Strange crosses this line for me; Our main character, Max starts acting in a way that doesn't match her approach to problems and the available choices up until then. The game does redeem itself from there going into episode 5.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
I think $10 is definatly worth an experience that I ended up thinking about over and over again. I kept reanalyzing choices and their consequences and with so many choices I think the game has a lot of replayability. Its kind of similar to wolf amoung us in that choices really do matter most of the time but you can also usually take a choice back if its in the same scene.

All that said you could buy much worse games for $10

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
I would say nah. It was really really predictable, and after you meet Chloe, a good five minutes with her you realize what a horrible person she is and thus stop caring. Though I will say, up to episode 3 is at least interesting, but it loses everything after that.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
MC1980 said:
The proper ending is thin and leaves you wanting some more, like a final sequence where you talk to some people, find out what's up, that sort of thing, instead of the 2 minute long cutscene with music under it. It's passable.

The shitty wish fulfillment ending is about as good as it should be, outside of not existing at all. It literally goes against the basic structure, build up and characterisations of the entire game. Serves people right for choosing it.

So, unless you choose option B, you'll be fine.
BloatedGuppy said:
You already bought it, but add my voice to the "yea" pile. The ending was contentious but it's not even in the same league as Mass Effect 3. You have a choice between a strong/thematically appropriate ending, and a weird/unsatisfying ending. As long as you choose sensibly you should be fine.
I actually prefer the bad ending. Sure it's insubstantial and kind of stupid, but I found it far less maddening than having to kowtow to the fates/Gods/developers in such a predictable fashion. Neither ending was satisfying but at least the bad ending was able to subvert my expectations since it essentially equates to having the villain win.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Nay. Get Tales of the Borderlands instead. An infinitely more enjoyable experience that raps up in a satisfying way unlike Life is Cringe.

Baffle said:
I should say, if you're over 30 it's going to make you feel really old.
I'm 20 and I wanted to kill these kids.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Definately yay, even though you got it already.

I really enjoyed, though it got me emotionally at several moments.

I like the endings, though they are very bittersweet
beddo said:
I just finished it and I think it's an excellent game, it's a very different but well done episodic story

The issue that I had with it is (spoilerish but not much)
The later episodes, starting with 4 take a very peculiar turn that isn't handled particularly well. I can follow any story as long as the people act consistently for their character but Life is Strange crosses this line for me; Our main character, Max starts acting in a way that doesn't match her approach to problems and the available choices up until then. The game does redeem itself from there going into episode 5.
I think the whole focus episode shook Max up, what with how she tried to make things better for Chloe, and just made it worse.

Nachtwens

Jan 3, 2016
Nah. I don't like it because the characters are all such cookie cutters, exaggerated stereotypes I just can't take seriously. They feel like they were written by a bunch of balding men in their 40s that think they know how young people talk, using Facebook and highschool romcoms as their only point of reference. No one in the real world ever says 'sadface' unironically.

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
I don't know. I've heard it's absolute garbage and saw a lets play of the first hour and it seemed like dogshit.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
Nachtwens said:
Nah. I don't like it because the characters are all such cookie cutters, exaggerated stereotypes I just can't take seriously. They feel like they were written by a bunch of balding men in their 40s that think they know how young people talk, using Facebook and highschool romcoms as their only point of reference. No one in the real world ever says 'sadface' unironically.
I don't think that's true, they certainly don't come across as 'cookie-cutter' characters to me because they have quite deep and complicated lives but approach problems very much from the perspective of a teenager. Sure, some elements may be stereotypical but over I think they were very well done.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
GrumbleGrump said:
I don't know. I've heard it's absolute garbage and saw a lets play of the first hour and it seemed like dogshit.
That seems like a pretty snap judgement, I don't see what you think is wrong with the game as you don't provide much detail.

Have you tried many episodic story based games? If you like Telltale games you'll probably like Life is Strange.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
I finished this game and I even liked the ending . I am listening to so many hippie songs now after looking up the soundtracks and then related stuff lol.

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
beddo said:
GrumbleGrump said:
That seems like a pretty snap judgement, I don't see what you think is wrong with the game as you don't provide much detail.

Have you tried many episodic story based games? If you like Telltale games you'll probably like Life is Strange.
The general problem with modern Telltale style adventure games is that you can get more or less the same experience from a let's play than from playing it, since most of the content is conveyed through dialog or through barely interactive cinematics. So in the end the let's plays give you more or less the same experience of a first playthrough.

That doesn't mean that the format is inherently bad, just very susceptible to spoilers. Besides, if the game has a good story or characters (or both) then the game could still be fathomably good.

Too bad Life is Strange lacks both of those things. I know because I saw playthroughs of the entire game [footnote]Specifically, the Life is Dranks series by BroTeamPill[/footnote].

First: Choices in the face of the enormity of Time.
Never mind the fact that the time traveling renders essentially any short term choice meaningless, not to mention that when Max gains her ability to rewind time by looking at photographs, then every choice the player makes is moot and completely pointless. [footnote]Yes, the game tries to acknowledge this, in a somewhat weaksauce way. It still makes no difference to the player.[/footnote] The entire ending is the shining example of this. Hell even the timeline jumping ruins a lot of things.

Second: With great power come great responsibility.
Max misuses her time traveling powers to an outstanding degree. She discards the alternate timelines only because what she did to change them didn't work the first time. She didn't try to come back and fix them through other methods. She even neglects trying to warn people of the fucking town ending Tornado coming. Why? Because she's simply a dumb teeny hipster. Which brings me to:

Third: Teenagers are dumb, bratty and terrible.
The characters aren't all that likeable or even that complicated. Max, as I said, is just some typical youthy hipster that has a generic hipstery hobby (photography) and is super deep, in that annoying, Facebook wisdom kind of way. Her friend, Chloe, is just the typical rebellious punky teenager that does drugs 'cuz she just so ?cool?, as in bitchy. Too bad she couldn't score anything that could make her likeable or at least less generic. There's also that one kid whose only purpose in the entire game is to be ?friendzone guy?. Then there?s the asshole rich kid that the authorities thinks is super nice and proper but is actually a scumbag. There?s the weird ass janitor who, surprise? Doesn't actually do anything besides being weird.

Fourth: You're no police detective, kid.
Max and Chloe are so stupid that they laugh off the idea of calling the cops on rich asshole kid, because "they are his personal security force". Even when they have a motherfucking corpse on their hands. He has been at the very least an accessory to murder. They even plan to murder him (well Chloe is, because she's fucking dumb) instead of reporting him to the cops!

Fifth: This is Warhammer. Deploying cluster cringe bombs, danger close.
The dialog is fucking terrible. At best it?s perfectly functional. At worst it absolutely makes me pissed about how someone didn't think this isn't terrible dialog. "We are SO invisible!" "If you can crank up that IV up to eleven?" "He's not a real Step-f?hrer?" "I think we made that dog our *****. Get it?" "She's dead! Such sad!" "Those whales are like... Beached angels" "Oh my god, are you cereal?"
That's discounting the visual cringe, using various internet memes scrawled at varying locations across the game. Hell, just look at Chloe's room. It?s a veritable fountain of visual cringe. Or really, just Chloe in general.

So no. Life is Strange is not a good game for me. In fact, I find it ranks just above David Cage's absolute bullshit.