Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy Has New Trailer, Release Date

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
too bad it'll be filled with the same crappy writing that plagues Toriyama's work. Seriously, that guy has to be one the most talent-derived hacks in games.

Ratties

May 8, 2013
I would do anything to play a more traditional RPG right now. Maybe you should just let other people make the game, then you publish it.
[http://photobucket.com/images/dragon%20quest%208]

Maybe staring at Dragon Quest 8 is giving me to much hope.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Flamezdudes said:
Hey, I am actually interested in this... but i'm one of the minority who liked most of the XIII series so far so it's not much of a surprise. I'm pretty annoyed they've delayed it till next year though, looks like we're not getting a new Final Fantasy this year, which sucks.
We shall be in the minority together! :D

I know after finishing the last game I want some goddamn answers because that ending was bullshit, and they know it. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy what I've played, and I did, but I just hate cliffhangers that end with a 'to be continued' at the end. I'm looking forward to this anyways.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Charli said:
Iiiii do not like Lightning, Iiiii do not care for a game surrounding herrrr. Sing along everyone!
*sings along*

I clicked on this news article out of genuine disbelief that they would continue with XIIIs world, now that im reading it i still can't believe it.

I guess i outgrew final fantasy after X, or maybe final fantasy outgrew me...

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009

It's hard to keep up with all these companies at once, but isn't Squeenix reporting heavy losses? Why take this route when they have plenty of opportunities to figuratively print their own money: A new Kingdom Hearts installment will be a guaranteed hit, a proper Deus Ex title will make some waves, and a follow-up to Tomb Raider would probably not be a bad idea.

Hell, if they want to take a risk on an established property, then they should try rebooting the Legacy of Kain series. After all, they already have the rights to it, don't they?

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
As soon as the timey-wimey ball was thrown into XIII-2, I stopped trying to make sense of the plot. It looks like it get even more convoluted anyway. I guess it's just a reflection of the mindset at Squeenix - confused and failing to make any sense.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Snow? Seriously, we brought back Snow? Ugh. He is my least favorite character. He doesn't learn or grow up, unlike all the other characters in the XIII saga. Even Hope became a bearable person by the time XIII-2 rolled around, but Snow is still his same arrogant, cocky, "I can do anything so I'm not going to think about how much I'm endangering or harming others" attitude that he has always had.

All that aside, I'm looking forward to this game. Pity about the release date moving back. I want to see how it all ends. XIII-2's ending was utterly depressing. Not only did it knock you down, but it continued to kick you while you were down there and then throw sand in your eyes. Lightning's happy ending better be her getting to go back to the end of XIII and finally be able to live her life peacefully.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
cursedseishi said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Flamezdudes said:
Hey, I am actually interested in this... but i'm one of the minority who liked most of the XIII series so far so it's not much of a surprise. I'm pretty annoyed they've delayed it till next year though, looks like we're not getting a new Final Fantasy this year, which sucks.
We shall be in the minority together! :D

I know after finishing the last game I want some goddamn answers because that ending was bullshit, and they know it. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy what I've played, and I did, but I just hate cliffhangers that end with a 'to be continued' at the end. I'm looking forward to this anyways.
3rd here.

You'd think people would get tired of beating the FF 13 horse after a few years, but I guess some people actually think its still witty to go "Lul 13? No wai!" the second they see a story about the game pop up. I'm personally interested in playing the game myself because I enjoyed the other 2 as well.

On that note, no one else notice the addition of locational damage in the trailer when she sliced off a monsters tail?
You would think, but at this point it's more like this:

I saw that and I'm intrigued. It makes me wonder if the battle system is going to cater to that or not, or if it's gonna be part of a small end battle cutscene. I thought the battle system was fine in the other games, so I'm curious to know if they're gonna completely change it again or just do minor tweaks.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Ratties said:
I would do anything to play a more traditional RPG right now. Maybe you should just let other people make the game, then you publish it.
[http://photobucket.com/images/dragon%20quest%208]

Maybe staring at Dragon Quest 8 is giving me to much hope.

...dammit...

OT: Really have no interest in lightning I did at 1st but then saw the reviews. Versus 13 holds far more interest but at this point FF is pretty much dead to me. Also really not keen on the timed apocalypse but then that's a personal taste and yes I did hate majora's mask for this mechanic.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
This looks like the dumbest shit.
All I can hope is that KFJ does an LP of this one as well.
KFJ is Kung-fu Jesus right?

That guy is awesome.

OT: Never really cared for FF13 but square enix can't get enough of it apparently >.>

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Dark Knifer said:
hazabaza1 said:
This looks like the dumbest shit.
All I can hope is that KFJ does an LP of this one as well.
KFJ is Kung-fu Jesus right?

That guy is awesome.
Yeah it is and yeah he is.
Played a big part in the Sonic 06 LP too, good fun.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
*watches FFXIII Versus trailer again*

Square... fuck off. Work on the titles that people like, innovate with them, and either let FFXIII Versus come to light or let XIII DIE.

CT862

Jun 21, 2011
FFXIII had its good points, just more bad points. It was too linear and the plot was pretty terrible. But the setting was good (not to mention stunning to look at) and the mythology was quite interesting. FFXIII-2 focused far too much on 'fixing' FFXIII and not on being its own game, although it was overall an improvement.

I personally really like Lightning and I think Ali Hillis is a fantastic voice actress, so I'm very pleased to see a game focused on her character.

What excited me most about Lightning Returns' initial announcement was the apparent attempt to create an 'action-oriented' Final Fantasy, essentially an Assassin's Creed style FF game. Final Fantasy certainly needs to move away from the turn-based text menus that have been a staple of the series, as gaming has moved on significantly from this. However, as more footage has been released, I'm worried this game won't go far enough. It looks as though Squenix are struggling to let go of out-dated mechanics and take a risk with something new.

I'll admit, its why I'm one of about three people who actually liked FFX-2, as SE used the first ever FF sequel to try something different. It might have had its issues, but at least they tried something new.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
So does that mean it's like Final Fantasy: Majora's Mask?

I'm still hoping for a new World of Mana game...

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I enjoyed XIII-2 far more than XIII and while I'm interested to see how the story concludes I don't have much interest in the game itself at the moment.

Now if only we could get some information on Versus XIII, I remember being so excited for that game back in 2006. It's weird to think that I was just 17 at the time.

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
I actually really, really liked FFXIII-2. There is plenty wrong with the game, but overall I felt it was a return to form for Square - Enix. Noel and Serah still remain as my favourite protagonist duo, particularly Noel.
I think that's the main reason I don't have high hopes for this one - Lightning is back on the center stage. It's like she's boring and bland by design. And although Noel does make a comeback cameo, he seems to have been reduced to a predictable whiny drama queen.

So yeah, story wise I'm incredibly disappointed. But the combat system looks kinda cool so far (from what little we've seen) so it's still on my radar. The thoughts of listening to Lightning drone on and on though... bleh.