Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Review

Business as usual.

Read Full Article

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Trishbot said:
Sounds like Bravely Default is going to be the best Final Fantasy game this year.
Is there some arbitrary standard for Final Fantasy games that I am not aware of?

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
james.sponge said:
KazeAizen said:
Trishbot said:
Sounds like Bravely Default is going to be the best Final Fantasy game this year.
Is there some arbitrary standard for Final Fantasy games that I am not aware of?
Yes, and the standard died with FFX-2.
Please show me this arbitrary and convoluted standard for Final Fantasy games. I'd really like to see a solid graph or chart that has a list of them with a base line for what qualifies and what doesn't. You show me that.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
KazeAizen said:
james.sponge said:
KazeAizen said:
Trishbot said:
Please show me this arbitrary and convoluted standard for Final Fantasy games. I'd really like to see a solid graph or chart that has a list of them with a base line for what qualifies and what doesn't. You show me that.
It's actually quite simple FF1-6 + FFT and FF9 qualify and the rest of them are below the standard ;)

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
KazeAizen said:
james.sponge said:
KazeAizen said:
Trishbot said:
There is no "standard", but most fans of FF hate anything after X with a fury passion because the style in gameplay changed. I'm one of those haters. Anyone playing an old and then a new FF game will immediately notice the massive differences (apart from graphics quality).

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
james.sponge said:
KazeAizen said:
james.sponge said:
KazeAizen said:
Trishbot said:
It's actually quite simple FF1-6 + FFT and FF9 qualify and the rest of them are below the standard ;)
What no 7? See though this proves my point. No real standard for what does and doesn't qualify. Ergo people need to give a rest already. Hell XIII-2 got so much hate and bile spewed at it and it didn't even deserve it.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
james.sponge said:
Careful now, your bias is showing.

Thanks for the review, Slycne. Quick note, however:
...in contrast to previous games like X-III 2 featuring elements like Valhalla...
That is most definitely not how roman numerals work.

Otherwise your review echoes what I had suspected about the game. I liked the first two XIII games, so I'm sure I'll end up thoroughly enjoying this one.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Arkhangelsk said:
KazeAizen said:
james.sponge said:
KazeAizen said:
Trishbot said:
There is no "standard", but most fans of FF hate anything after X with a fury passion because the style in gameplay changed. I'm one of those haters. Anyone playing an old and then a new FF game will immediately notice the massive differences (apart from graphics quality).
So us new fans for jumping on after 9 and calling anything after that good get attacked and shown "the error of our ways." and why we shouldn't like X and beyond? You say there is no standard and you are right but the way people talk about it you sure could've fooled me into thinking there was some mystical chart or graph or score card that said otherwise.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Arkhangelsk said:
KazeAizen said:
james.sponge said:
KazeAizen said:
Trishbot said:
I wouldn't say it was the gameplay, more like atmosphere shifted, I would argue FFX was a step in right direction, as far as battle/summon systems are concerned, they dropped the ball with sphere grid, characters, heavy emphasis on fighting rather than exploration (something FF9 did quite well) and shallow uninspired world.

KazeAizen said:
james.sponge said:
KazeAizen said:
james.sponge said:
KazeAizen said:
Trishbot said:
What no 7? See though this proves my point. No real standard for what does and doesn't qualify. Ergo people need to give a rest already. Hell XIII-2 got so much hate and bile spewed at it and it didn't even deserve it.
I was joking actually. Even though I dislike new entries, I can understand some people may find them appealing. And yes FF7 is bad ;)

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I was not really holding my breath on this one. I'm sure it's completely fantastic looking, but I was hoping for a little more. Though, in fairness, a 3.5 out of 5 is not a bad game so I'll probably pick it up down the road. As far as great Square Enix games go though, I'm completely and utterly wrapped up in Bravely Default... that game is ridiculously awesome.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Eh, the XIII mythos became a little too convoluted for my liking. Here's hoping that XV is as awesome as it looks.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
KazeAizen said:
Arkhangelsk said:
KazeAizen said:
james.sponge said:
KazeAizen said:
Trishbot said:
So us new fans for jumping on after 9 and calling anything after that good get attacked and shown "the error of our ways." and why we shouldn't like X and beyond? You say there is no standard and you are right but the way people talk about it you sure could've fooled me into thinking there was some mystical chart or graph or score card that said otherwise.
I never said that, you can like whatever you want. It's just that we who preferred the old Final Fantasy games are perfectly justified in hating the newer generation of FF, given the abandoning of the old style that for us worked perfectly fine.

james.sponge said:
Arkhangelsk said:
KazeAizen said:
james.sponge said:
KazeAizen said:
Trishbot said:
I wouldn't say it was the gameplay, more like atmosphere shifted, I would argue FFX was a step in right direction, as far as battle/summon systems are concerned, they dropped the ball with sphere grid, characters, heavy emphasis on fighting rather than exploration (something FF9 did quite well) and shallow uninspired world.
Well, I personally found the change from diverse open world to constrained linear world to be a bit too much for me, and their recent experimentation with the battle system hasn't worked out for the best in my opinion. FFX was really good though, but anything after that I haven't really liked.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Dead Raen said:
Thanks for the review, Slycne. Quick note, however:
...in contrast to previous games like X-III 2 featuring elements like Valhalla...
That is most definitely not how roman numerals work.
Thanks, *grumbles something about this is what happens when you mix Roman numerals, hyphens and numbers while fixing it*.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
Slycne said:
Thanks, *grumbles something about this is what happens when you mix Roman numerals, hyphens and numbers while fixing it*.
Hey, I don't fault you for one second. The numbering of this particular set is nothing short of tedious. XIII, XIII-2, Lightning Returns: XIII... wat

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Yuck, sounds like a dead duck to me, preorder cancelled! I just hope XV is going to be a Lot better than this...

loa

Jan 28, 2012
A final fantasy where you can completely ignore every single minor encounter without crippling yourself?
Where the emphasis of battle is not on grinding for stats but on finding more efficient attack and defense combinations?

Sounds like something that respects my time for once.
Drop that levelup system that bullshits me about the "choice" I can never really make and you made an improvement in my book.
I don't know how to feel about stat growth being bound to "missions" though.
That has not been a good model for telling immersive stories so far, not in fft and especially not on X-2.
Going full zelda and only having "stat growth" in the shape of stuff you find that gives you more options sounds like the better plan to me.

Anyway this is a jrpg that truly tries to evolve and I can respect at least that.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
So the bottom line it needs more breast "physics", typical you give a company a jillion dollar budget and they can't even get the small things right.

Captcha: Brand Lift