Lightning Returns in a Shorter, More Action-Oriented Final Fantasy

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Jack and Calumon said:
Final Fantasy XIII trilogy? You know, I remember when there was 3 games that were related to Final Fantasy XIII that weren't all connected to Final Hallway XIII. There was that Agito thing for the PSP which I think went Japan only, which sucks, but then there was also Final Fantasy Versus XIII, which has pretty much decided to drop off the face of the earth and hide until the world ends.

SQUARE! Make Versus XIII already! What we've seen looks really good! Focus on that! Make it and let the Director of Kingdom Hearts wrap everything up! PLEEASE!

Also make TWEWY 2 on the way.

Calumon: ...People are really needy, aren't they? :S
I had a very strong feeling while reading the article that this game is what Versus has become. They're just not calling it that anymore. I could be wrong, though.

Oh, and we're gamers, we're going to be needy, sometimes it can't be helped.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
The_Darkness said:
Okay, I knew Lightning was popular, but I didn't realise she was that popular!

Hang on:

Jeremy Wilkinson said:
The game's conclusion will apparently mark a happy ending for Lightning's story, but despite the supposed replayability there will only be one ending. It's not quite clear yet how Square Enix intends to make replays worthwhile, but at a base time of between 13 and 26 hours this certainly looks like it will be a much shorter Final Fantasy experience.
What.

So the game ends when time is up. There is only one ending. Does that mean that, if I just leave the game sitting around for 13 hours, basically doing nothing to stop the end of the world, I'll get the same ending as someone who does absolutely everything possible to save the world? And that this ending will be 'a happy ending for Lightning's story'?! If that's the case, either Lightning is perfectly happy with the world ending, or the world is apparently perfectly capable of saving itself!

Also, I, for one, do not mind the Majora's Mask-esque timer game mechanic, so long as they are clever about implementation - don't overly punish people who take their time, and make sure that replays feel nothing like each other.

(Edit: Also - two sequels for FFXII, yet no more word on the Deus Ex scene? Come ON Square Enix!)
No, not really. When the timer runs out, you have to fight the final boss. If you did nothing for the duration of the game, then I imagine that you're going to have a hell of a time managing it.
And you're privy to this information... how?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
loc978 said:
RJ 17 said:
First thought: God I hate time limits.

Second thought: Who the fuck puts a time limit into a god damn RPG?

Third thought upon reading the complete article: Shouldn't this be an expansion and not a game unto itself?

Fourth and final thought: Wait a minute, I stopped caring about this franchise YEARS ago...why'd I come to this topic anyways?

Oh yeah, because it's just further evidence to put into my already bulging "Square's Shitty Ideas" folder. I can sympathize with the younger crowd that see FF 1 - 6 as being before their time so they picked them up in some anthology pack, but (at least dealing with my personal circle of friends who grew up on the classic FF's)
all the "old-school" FF fans I've spoken with agree that everything after 9 has been a downward spiral of one shitty game with shitty ideas tacked onto it after another. Though personally, I take it farther and include 9 into the official death of the FF series.
My friends and I tend to take it further than that. The series peaked at VI, shifted focus and started spiraling down at VII, tried pandering at IX, hit rock bottom at X, and has been burrowing into the ground ever since. I think it's close to hitting magma now.

The march forward for gaming technology pretty much sounded the death knell for this franchise back in 1997. I'm still amazed people have been buying it. My breaking point was X... and that was after giving 'em a couple of chances after the first unconscionably shitty title of the series (VIII. At least II had an excuse).
Thank you. Thank you thank you thank you.

As mentioned in my original response, pretty much the only people I've found that actually share my opinion on the FF series have been in my own personal circle of friends. I believe you're the first person I've encountered on this site that agrees that everything past 7 was absolute crap. I still give 7 a pass, though I certainly don't think it's anything worth orgasming over. I enjoyed the story and gameplay, but failed to achieve an erection every time Sephiroth showed up.

For me, the downhill slide started at 8. The only real complaints I can draw from it are that the junction system made things ridiculously too easy, and every - single - character in that game is a raging, flaming emo. This culminates in the scene were everyone's sitting in the waiting room at Galbadia Garden (think that's what it is) and Squall is just thinking about how dead people are referred to with words like "he was" or "they were". He works himself into a frenzy about this, then suddenly shatters the silence in the room by just shouting out like a psycho "YOU'RE NOT GONNA REFER TO ME IN THE PAST TENSE!!!" before running out the door, leaving everyone standing there like "Ummmmmm.....what the fuck?"

9 was way too childish and cartoony for me. As you described it: it was nothing but pandering. I made it to the end of the first CD and never played it again. 10 held my attention while the voice acting made my ears bleed...then I got to the end and found that the only way to lose to the main boss of the game - a fucking god - is to kill your own party....TWICE! So that threw X under the bus...and thank god I only rented X-2 just because it was the first time they had a direct sequel to an FF game. Rented and took back approximately 2 hours later. Told him the game wouldn't work in my PS2 and got my money back. Haven't touched the series (other than my beloved classics) since.

So again, I just wanted to thank you for being the first person on this site to validate my views on the series. Most people around here consider FF9 to be Gospel and any insult or criticism against it is grounds for being burned at the stake...

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
"Happy ending for Lightning"? Sold. Final Fantasy XIII's ending was horrible. Yes, you saved yourselves from the immediate danger of death, but once people realized they were in what they considered 'Hell,' they're in just as much danger as they were before.

XIII-2 showed that everyone doesn't, in fact, get killed in the wilderness, but from what I understand of the ending (haven't beat the game yet), it's a cliffhanger and very depressing. Which I'm fine with, as long as there's going to be another game. Which there is. So I'm good.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Lunar Templar said:
Madmanonfire said:
Lunar Templar said:
Madmanonfire said:
Jeremy Wilkinson said:
Square Enix has also changed the combat system significantly, making fights far more active. The ATB gauge from the other Final Fantasy XIII games makes a reapparance, but the way it's used is rather different here - instead of inputting commands via a menu, abilities are assigned to buttons on the controller, and players will be able to move freely around the battlefield rather than being rooted to the spot. Some areas of battle will reportedly be timing-based as well, though whether this is just a synonym for "quick-time events" or will allow for something deeper is unclear at the moment. To allow players to better concentrate on the more active system, Lightning will fight by herself.
This is a HUGE step in the right direction in terms of gameplay. I think I'm gonna look forward to an FF13 title for once.
cept .... Parasite Eve did it first, back in the late 90s .... with both PS1 games >.> so, nothing new here
I was unaware that the existence of a game from over a decade ago has an impact on how fun this game may turn out to be. Or when I said this may be fun because it was new.
*shrugs*
stil rather go back and PE they any FF past 9
loc978 said:
RJ 17 said:
First thought: God I hate time limits.

Second thought: Who the fuck puts a time limit into a god damn RPG?

Third thought upon reading the complete article: Shouldn't this be an expansion and not a game unto itself?

Fourth and final thought: Wait a minute, I stopped caring about this franchise YEARS ago...why'd I come to this topic anyways?

Oh yeah, because it's just further evidence to put into my already bulging "Square's Shitty Ideas" folder. I can sympathize with the younger crowd that see FF 1 - 6 as being before their time so they picked them up in some anthology pack, but (at least dealing with my personal circle of friends who grew up on the classic FF's)
all the "old-school" FF fans I've spoken with agree that everything after 9 has been a downward spiral of one shitty game with shitty ideas tacked onto it after another. Though personally, I take it farther and include 9 into the official death of the FF series.
My friends and I tend to take it further than that. The series peaked at VI, shifted focus and started spiraling down at VII, tried pandering at IX, hit rock bottom at X, and has been burrowing into the ground ever since. I think it's close to hitting magma now.

The march forward for gaming technology pretty much sounded the death knell for this franchise back in 1997. I'm still amazed people have been buying it. My breaking point was X... and that was after giving 'em a couple of chances after the first unconscionably shitty title of the series (VIII. At least II had an excuse).

I'll never understand the hate FFX gets. So the voice acting was a little grating at times (It's so much worse in Japanese, don't make me link the proof). It still had a great combat system (simple but effective) tons of stuff to do, second best mini-game ever, and a plot I enjoyed more than any other FF game. It's my favorite FF of all time (none of the others come close, though I've beaten all but 11 and 13)
One man's trash is another man's treasure. I consider blitzball the worst minigame I've ever played in any game ever. I actually preferred FF8's stupidly simple card game to it.

But hell, you liked it, it was pretty damn popular, good on ya. Just not to my taste.
The combat wasn't bad, though, just... familiar. Which was fine.
As to the story... I think Spoony said it better than I could [http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/game-reviews/final-fantasy-x/], he just took a long time to do it.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
GenGenners said:
PunkRex said:
Lunar Templar said:
I'll never understand the hate FFX gets. So the voice acting was a little grating at times (It's so much worse in Japanese, don't make me link the proof). It still had a great combat system (simple but effective) tons of stuff to do, second best mini-game ever, and a plot I enjoyed more than any other FF game. It's my favorite FF of all time (none of the others come close, though I've beaten all but 11 and 13)
i don't hate FF10, it just not a square game i consider a 'go to' game. its good, by and larger i think its the last decent, let alone good FF game made, it's just not a 'go to' game, like PE is (all time fave square game next to Enihander)
I don't like 10 because of the aesthetics, its bloody messy, real messy. Compare it to 7, 8 (which I also didn't really like) or 9 (me fave) and it just looks pants, cheap 2nd hand pants baught off a clown combined with a bright purple corset and googles... lots and lots of goolges.
There are good reasons for that, the main one being that they switched their world influence.
1 through 6, and then 9, were all were based on traditional western medieval 'knights in shining armour, dragons, castles and princesses' types of themes. 7 and 8 tried the mix modern elements into the style.
However, this was both getting old and alienating it's home (Japanese) audience. So, when 10's development rolled around, they deliberately shifted to use traditional asian/oriental/eastern themes instead. Personally, I like 10's style. If I want sword & sorcery tales, I'll play one of the millions of other 'high-fantasy' games out there.

Also, the old games were actually kinda messy too, you just never noticed because of the graphical limitations.
I just felt the older ones still managed to embrace the craziness alot better. Also, I know that there are traditional japanese themes in the game but, come on. Whilst I admit Yuna, Lulu and Auron look top bannana the rest of the main cast just look goofy and don't even get me started on the supporting cast...

And thats not even looking at the visual mess that were the Al-bed. I understand what they were going for and I hate crapping all over experimentation, hell its one of the things I really liked about the FF games, each one had its own look and style but ever since 10 its been happy to just sit on this mordern mash up that just looks boring and ugly to me. FF13 had the same problem, Lightning looked okay and Sazh had a nice, minimalist design but the others! Hope looked like he spent all his time shopping at Cyber-dog. I felt FF12 had the look FF10 was going for AND managed to include some of the more fantasy based designs from its earlier games, not that I really got to play the thing.

Sorry if I seem aggressive guy/gal, its just... cluttered... ugly aesthetics make me mad... really... REALLY... MAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!

jackinmydaniels

Jul 12, 2012
Wait wait wait, only one ending? I don't mind time limit stuff if the timer is either, A very forgiving ala Majora's Mask, or B, failing to do things at certain times or completing different events change the outcome of the story.

It's one of the reasons why I love the Dead Rising series despite its time limit, because there's buttloads of different endings depending on what I did and didn't do during the game.

It sounds like the timer will be just a really big pain in the ass and there will be no point in playing through another time if nothing changes.

Also didn't 13 suck balls? Why would they keep making more sequels to it?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Erja_Perttu said:
PunkRex said:
I don't like 10 because of the aesthetics, its bloody messy, real messy. Compare it to 7, 8 (which I also didn't really like) or 9 (me fave) and it just looks pants, cheap 2nd hand pants baught off a clown combined with a bright purple corset and googles... lots and lots of goolges.
Of all the things to say about X, your major gripe is that it looks bad? That's a new one.

OT: Nope, I'm out, bored now. I'm Final Fantasy'd out. Unless it's got an enormous purple talking octopus disrupting an opera. Seriously, where did all the weird funny stuff go in the franchise, I'm sick of everyone being so damn earnest all the time. Screw it, I want to race Chocobos and get turned into a pig if I talk to the wrong person!
Oh I know it had other problems, I tried to complete that bloody thing twice, each time getting to roughly Yunalesca (who was far easier then everyone told me) so I know the narrative problems. Im just a massive nerd for aesthetics and themes and its something everyone seems to over look in favour of story/character problems.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Well I'm intrigued and interested enough to give a shit, and I will definitely get this when it does come out. I liked the first two games, the second one more than the first, and the whole doomsday clock thing sounds pretty damn cool.

But, I guess I'm not one of the cool kids bashing Square here, d'oh well.
But... they're trying something different... on a series that these cool people didn't like. THAT MEANS THEY'RE RUINING IT FOR PEOPLE THAT IT WAS ALREADY RUINED FOR!

OT:
I wasn't that much of a fan of FFXIII but I heard that 2 turned out pretty well, might have to pick it up and give it a try at some point.

Also, I don't understand the complaining at them trying to spice up a series that a lot of people didn't like, if you complain about the series AND complain about them trying new mechanics to improve it then they can't win with it. And if you want them to just not make it, why just not buy the games?

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
PunkRex said:
GenGenners said:
PunkRex said:
Lunar Templar said:
i don't hate FF10, it just not a square game i consider a 'go to' game. its good, by and larger i think its the last decent, let alone good FF game made, it's just not a 'go to' game, like PE is (all time fave square game next to Enihander)
There are good reasons for that, the main one being that they switched their world influence.
1 through 6, and then 9, were all were based on traditional western medieval 'knights in shining armour, dragons, castles and princesses' types of themes. 7 and 8 tried the mix modern elements into the style.
However, this was both getting old and alienating it's home (Japanese) audience. So, when 10's development rolled around, they deliberately shifted to use traditional asian/oriental/eastern themes instead. Personally, I like 10's style. If I want sword & sorcery tales, I'll play one of the millions of other 'high-fantasy' games out there.

Also, the old games were actually kinda messy too, you just never noticed because of the graphical limitations.
I just felt the older ones still managed to embrace the craziness alot better. Also, I know that there are traditional japanese themes in the game but, come on. Whilst I admit Yuna, Lulu and Auron look top bannana the rest of the main cast just look goofy and don't even get me started on the supporting cast...

And thats not even looking at the visual mess that were the Al-bed. I understand what they were going for and I hate crapping all over experimentation, hell its one of the things I really liked about the FF games, each one had its own look and style but ever since 10 its been happy to just sit on this mordern mash up that just looks boring and ugly to me. FF13 had the same problem, Lightning looked okay and Sazh had a nice, minimalist design but the others! Hope looked like he spent all his time shopping at Cyber-dog. I felt FF12 had the look FF10 was going for AND managed to include some of the more fantasy based designs from its earlier games, not that I really got to play the thing.

Sorry if I seem aggressive guy/gal, its just... cluttered... ugly aesthetics make me mad... really... REALLY... MAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!
It's funny you mentioned 12, because it's my favourite FF :p

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I read the title as "Lightning Returns in a Shooter..." which I would've been excited about if SE hadn't previously made Dirge of Cerberus and shown that they can't really make shooters.

Also the game's system makes it seem kind of like that they have for Dissidia, though maybe with less freedom of movement.

SmilesX-23

Isn't much of anything
Dec 15, 2009
I'm really interested in this. I enjoyed 13 and never really bothered with 13-2.
A shorter game definitely has more appeal, people seem to acting like 13-26 is short but really that's about how much time i would want it to last . Also i like the time mechanics in a game gives you a reason to do stuff quickly and actually think about what you are doing.

Then again I've never understood the "death" of this franchise which gets mentioned every time something comes out they aren't entirely behind. I'm all for giving this game a chance.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Eclpsedragon said:
This doesn't look like the case, it doesn't seem like you'll have some wonderful magical item that resets the thirteen days and keeps all your junk intact. I don't like the idea that I have to do particular quest in order to rewind my time, especially if these quest aren't infinite. Gamers are going to feel rushed through the whole thing with no time to stop and explore under the beautifully rendered waterfalls.
Well, maybe it isn´t a game about exploration? If the game is based around managing your time and optimizing your path through the game, then it really wouldn´t be a problem. I think it sounds interesting, but its still a Final Fantasy XIII game, so i´m not that psyched. I hated FFXIII, mostly because of the awful storyline and the absurd amount of padding.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Sounds kind of interesting. Maybe I'll check it out.

But first I need to play through FFXIII-2...

And FFXIII...

Oh, and I need to buy a PS3/Xbox360...

On second thought, never mind...

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
The combat sounds like it will be a bit like Kingdom Hearts combat which will be cool. The only thing that really kept me from going further in FFXIII was the combat system. I was really hoping it would be like the KH combat system.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
disgruntledgamer said:
How did this God awful game get a 3ed installment?
DangNabbit said:
Still waiting for this bad dream of XIII games to end. No one cares about them as much as you seem to do, Square.
FF XIII sold 1.85 million copies in Japan in just the first three months. By the time they announced the sequel, it had sold over 6 million copies worldwide. Companies like Square Enix love making money, so... Yeah, that's why it got two sequels!

In all seriousness, the fact that it sold so well (and continued to sell so well) indicates at least a few people other than Square care about FF XIII, and that there really is a market (in Japan at least) for that type of game.

They're a Japanese game company who seem to be listening to their Japanese fans, not their Western ones. Which seems fair enough.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
I'm pretty much just excited to see Fang again...if we see Fang again...Gawd, I hope we see Fang again.

Still, the whole timer thing might freak me out. Majora's Mask was pretty much one whole anxiety attack for me xD

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
Eclpsedragon said:
I didn't have an issue with Majora's Mask because you could use the ocarina to go back in time and all your junk (except quest progress) carried over. You had as much time as you wanted to explore, it was only the long quest lines that became an annoyance. Even then, if you devoted the whole time to those particular quest, things turned out okay. The timer was more of a clever illusion in Majora's Mask.

This doesn't look like the case, it doesn't seem like you'll have some wonderful magical item that resets the thirteen days and keeps all your junk intact. I don't like the idea that I have to do particular quest in order to rewind my time, especially if these quest aren't infinite. Gamers are going to feel rushed through the whole thing with no time to stop and explore under the beautifully rendered waterfalls.

A fitting conclusion to a trilogy that had so much potential, but fell so short.
I believe doing quests for the right people gives you more time and doing quests for the wrong people gives you less time, in addition fighting battles gives you more time but I THINK if you die, you don't die, you just get much less time...