Limited Fourth Edition of Halo Reach Spotted

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
"Limited Fourth Edition"

The only thing limited about it is the metal case and the little 'Halo Essentials' book. Otherwise, there's nothing special about it. No statue, no extra freebies, it's cool but not as cool as it's being made out to be. :p

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Yay? Not super big into Halo, I'm afraid. Though, one of my friends is getting the Legendary Edition (his friend bought it for him, and since it comes with a 360, I am jealous of him).

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
The jealousy has started.

Ah well, hopefully GAME should get my copy to me by the time I get back.

Red_Fog

Apr 9, 2010
So they include the original book that is completely different than the video game? And that book has been out for like what? 9, 10 years? If a halo fan dedicated enough to pay that much for the super awesome edition hasn't already read it, I doubt they will now. "Fall of Reach" wasn't even my favorite. Informative for all the back story, but not as enjoyable as some of the others. For fun reading I much prefer "The Flood" or "Ghosts of Onyx" which introduces the Spartan III's, and "First Strike" was just meh, but it explains a shit ton. Like the aftermath of Reach, how the Chief got back to Earth after the events of H:CE, and why Sgt. Johnson just... wouldn't... die... Also it firmly confirms that Linda, fiction though she is, is the most awesome sniper of all time.

Then again First Strike also raised questions... Like, why didn't Halo 2 have four player co-op with each player playing as one of the FOUR remaining Spartans? I mean, I read that book, and was totally like, "Dude, Halo 2 is totally going to have the last 4 Spartans fighting together, and they're totally gonna do 4 player co-op and stuff cause it just makes sense!" and then they go and act like the books never happened and throw the Master Chief out on his own again... with co-op that leaves you wondering who the hell the second player is... AND WHY I CAN'T PLAY AS LINDA!?!?!?!?!?!

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
It's really fairly unimpressive, besides the fact it was free. The case seems meh, the game is the standard edition, the controller can be bought (and comes with a banshee avatar item) and the book is fairly cheap by itself. It's nice, but not a huge deal.

thenumberthirteen said:
Revelo said:
I guess the legendary edition will just have to suffice. =P Shame my local store isn't doing a midnight launch.
My one is, but I don't have a 360 :) I ever got the point of midnight openings. Why not just sell it the second the delivery arrives and undercut the other stores. All it means is everyone has to stay up late and queue outside in the rain and cold.
Because that's illegal, and normally would get the store in a lot of trouble. Of course, that hasn't stopped them before. When Halo 3 was released, my local 7-11 was selling copies the day before. I also bought Mario Kart Wii 2 hours before launch at my local GameCrazy because me another guy were the only ones there (yes, I had that much free time on my hands. >_>)

Deathfish15 said:
Correct me if I'm paranoid, but this sounds exactly like a....BRIBE! I mean, giving such an extravagant gift to the press just because....oh, that's right, the press are the people that review the game. So, they seem to be using these cases to buy out their scores? Sounds about right under M$.
A lot of companies do that, not just Microsoft. They normally send their limited editions to reviewers to be reviewed as well as the regular edition. That's why almost every game that has more then one edition gets each reviewed (at least on big sites like IGN). Do you think they actually pay for their LE copies?

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Kapol said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Revelo said:
I guess the legendary edition will just have to suffice. =P Shame my local store isn't doing a midnight launch.
My one is, but I don't have a 360 :) I ever got the point of midnight openings. Why not just sell it the second the delivery arrives and undercut the other stores. All it means is everyone has to stay up late and queue outside in the rain and cold.
Because that's illegal, and normally would get the store in a lot of trouble. Of course, that hasn't stopped them before. When Halo 3 was released, my local 7-11 was selling copies the day before. I also bought Mario Kart Wii 2 hours before launch at my local GameCrazy because me another guy were the only ones there (yes, I had that much free time on my hands. >_>)
Sometimes the law is stupid. And I don't think it'd be illegal as breach of contract is generally a civil matter. I've got things before he release date as well, but mostly books. I've also seen movies before release too. The last Harry Potter and Twilight: Eclipse I both watched about 2 days before general release.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
Kapol said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Revelo said:
Sometimes the law is stupid. And I don't think it'd be illegal as breach of contract is generally a civil matter. I've got things before he release date as well, but mostly books. I've also seen movies before release too. The last Harry Potter and Twilight: Eclipse I both watched about 2 days before general release.
Ah, that's right. It's not illegal, but it's a breach of contract, which the distributer would be able to sue over for quite a bit of money. But it's mainly to be fair. Most places only get games the day before launch if they're going to have a midnight launch, and when the release date is set and it's that close to it anyways, people getting their copies early and making the people who couldn't due to buying it online or whatever wouldn't be worth the backlash it would cause. People would be complaining because others got it early while they didn't, which they'd say wouldn't be fair to them, and likely could even be made into a legal issue (which sounds a bit stupid I know, but in a world where someone can be sued for having too hot of coffee, I wouldn't be surprised).

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
*cough* extortion *cough*

To be honest, im not even buying the regular edition of Reach. Im going to rent it, but thats all.

I dont see the point of spending $150-$300 for a single game. You can get several games for that price.

Theres a line between enjoying something, and being addicted to it. I kinda see this as the decider.

Dont get me wrong, im not saying the game is bad, or the people who buy it are halo spazzoids,
but rationally, these are horrible things to buy.