Linux gaming

penguino

Sep 29, 2014
There is a new Linux distribution called Game On, which is designed for gaming and aim to provide an out of the box gaming experience with the supplied gamepad which comes pre configured with it.
Also available for free download without the gamepad and its presets.
What do you think it has potential?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEeKZKarU4o&list=UU3jSNmKWYA04R47fDcc1ImA

www.grasshopperos.com

Irick

Apr 18, 2012
Hmm...
Well, it's always nice to see more distros out there, though I can't help but think SteamOS can do much of what this does a little bit better. They really haven't done anything that makes the LXDE desktop easier to navigate with the gamepad, which means that you're still going to need a KB&M. The pre-configured emulation applications are nice, as is Wine preloaded, but these are applications that can be run on SteamOS, and without the grey zone of maybe owning the rights to use a ROM.

The older ubuntu base is going to hobble it in terms of performance, though they may get better in the future. I can't help but think that someone who can reliably boot off of a USB stick could probably pretty reliably install applications off the Ubuntu store (or even just .debs). If they are looking for stripped down performance for gaming, there are better bases to start with (Arch and Manjaro come to mind) but in so far as what it does, it seems convenient if you just want a cheap live USB and controler.

Though, at that point, i might better compare it to one of the many android stick consoles that cropped up around the same time as Ouya. Those are going to have better controller navigation and are going to be just as useful for emulated games without taking up a laptop or other computer.

I'm not sure what they are doing here that is really going to be adding back to the community in terms of solutions to problems, but I'm sure they will find some interesting bugs in these applications and their interactions with ubuntu or LXDE. All in all, it is an interesting concept, but I feel like there are better options depending on what you are looking for.

If I were giving them some ideas or suggestions, I would say that making a controler navigable main UI via LXDE would really set this distro apart and give this a clear contribution to an upstream project at the same time. Competition for SteamOS is never a bad thing, and the 10 foot interface is a little underrepresented in easy to drop in Linux distros.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I like the idea of having a quick boot low resource OS all on your USB stick, could take that thing everywhere for a quick bit of gaming.

But reading about it around they seem to be a little behind the times with their OS base and apparently other desktops get better performance then LXDE... which seems like quite the oversight for a dedicated gaming OS.
It would be great if someone at this point rounded up all the viable gaming OS attempts and made a straight line benchmark comparison, I honestly will not be doing so myself any time soon.

ExiledCreature

Sep 23, 2014
What would be the advantage to this compared to just running a mainstream Linux distribution on your desktop or laptop computer? I can't really see it. It's obviously not geared for the kind of games that have appeared with SteamOS in mind like Civilization V, so I don't get the "competition for SteamOS" argument either.