List your favourite video game genres from most to least favourite.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
There's so many Mass Effect topics around it's lethargia inducing. It's still going on. If I can't hold out much longer, I'll make a topic asking for recommendations for other, better sites less obsessed with wRPGs like Mass Effect and the Elder Scrolls.

But anyway, I'm certain I'm not the only one around here who's favourite genre isn't the wRPG. Out of curiosity, I thought I'd have a listing. There actually aren't that many video games genres. So it wouldn't take that long to make a ranking. Out of boredom and frustration among all the Mass Effect for months. I became curious about demographics again, and what people's favourite genres are here, and if most people really like wRPGs the most. Or whether we have a vocal minority of people who love talking about nothing but Mass Effect and Elder Scrolls titles.

List in order your favourite genres from greatest to least out of this list of "essential genres" I've made.

Here's mine.
1. jRPGs(included s/tRPGs)
2. Platformer
3. "Action/Adventure"
4. Fighting
5. Scrolling Shooters/Shoot em' Ups
6. Life Simulator
7. Racing Game
8. Puzzle Game
9. Rhythm Game
10. Survival Horror
11. Real Time Strategy
12. Western RPGs
13. Third Person Shooters
14. First Person Shooters

You can of course modify the "essential list" if you so like. I'm going enjoy it if I see some lists very similar to mine.

You know that feeling when you get the strong feeling your posts will do nothing more than come off as extreme, over the top flamebaiting. Even though you're just being honest, or maybe just venting a little frustration. Because you know your opinions are unpopular and you might just be making them a taaaad bit a little too obvious? Yeah, I get that feeling a lot here on the Escapist. Crossing my fingers I didn't go too far this time by starting off a topic saying I'm tired of all the Mass Effect topics and then making a list of favourite genres with wRPGs wayyy at the end on a site with an 8:1 wRPG topic ratio.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Everything you listed goes somewhere in the vicinity of 1-100. #101 would be sports games. #102 is racing games. I like pretty much any game but those that fall into those two categories. Sure, you get a gem every now and then, but for me, the rest are complete shit.

werty10089

Aug 14, 2011
My own opinions. Sue me.

1.Platformer.
2.Whatever Katamari Damacy is.
3.wRpg
4.Simulation.
5.Action/Adventure.
6.Rts.
7.Tps.
8.Puzzle.
9.Fps.
10.Survival Horror.
11.jRpg.
12.Racing.
13.Beat em ups.
14.Rhythm.
15.Fighting.
∞.Sports Games.

PuffinBox

Aug 29, 2011
Anything below 10 I won't enjoy. If I missed anything it's because I haven't played it or don't remember playing it.
<spoiler=My lovely list>
1.Platformer.
2.Puzzle.
3.FPS.
4.Action/Adventure.
5.RPG.
6.Racing.
7.Simulation.
8.Survival Horror.
9.TPS.
10.RTS.
11.Sport Games.
12.Fighting.
13.JRPG
14.Rhythim/Music Games

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
1) Action RPGs
2) Experimental games
3) First person shooters
4) Action adventure
5) Sandbox games
6) Action horror
7) Parkour platformers
8) Action puzzlers
9) Creative games
10) Metroidvania 2D platformers
11) Isometric turn-based RPGs
12) Rythm games

Also, in order, my favourite examples from each of those genres are as follows:

Fallout: New Vegas, Journey, Half-Life 2, Shadow of the Colossus, Saints Row The Third, Dead Space 2, Assassin's Creed II, Portal 2, Minecraft, Iji, Fallout 1, and Audiosurf.

Jan 13, 2012
1) RPGs (doesnt matter if they're western, japanese or just action, so long as they're good)
2) RTS games (I suck at them but I just love them)
3) Action/adventure games
4) Sandbox games
5) Action/adventure games
6) Puzzle games
7) Shooters

All the rest

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Following your list as a template, mine goes a little like this:

1. jRPGs(included s/tRPGs)
2. Western RPGs
3. Platformer
4. "Action/Adventure"
5. Rhythm Game
6. First Person Shooters
7. Racing Game
8. Scrolling Shooters/Shoot em' Ups
9. Life Simulator
10. Puzzle Game
11. Fighting
12. Third Person Shooters
13. Survival Horror
14. Real Time Strategy

I'm crazy for RPGs. I love Dragon Age, but I gotta admit that's the only Western RPG I like. Final Fantasy stuff still is my favorite.
Platformers overall have my attention as well as action/adventure games.
I also love games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero even though they're pretty much dead now.
I do enjoy playing a quick match of Gotham City Impostors every now and then. Maybe even MW2 if my friends are up for it.
I also like some racing games like ModNation Racers or, why not, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit.
The Sims are good but their latest entry (Sims 3) was kinda tedious to play. The Sims Bustin' Out is still my favorite.
Catherine and Portal are pretty good but pretty short. I hate short games.
Fighting games? Let me put it this way: I get blisters when I play fighting games.
Third person shooters are alright...except they don't flow as easily as a FPS. I'm not a big fan of shooters overall to begin with.
I HATE horror games. I'm paranoid enough as it is.
The thing about real time strategy games is that it feels like a task, playing the game, I mean. Some games do it well (FF12 for me) but some others just make me wanna give up immediately (Advance Wars).

These are just my thoughts. I know there's more out there than the games I listed as examples. But again, my two cents.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
1. WRPG's.
2. JRPGS.
3. Action/Adventure.
4. Sim games (not The Sims, I mean like Football Manager games. I've wasted years of my life dragging Accrington Stanley through the divisions to premiership glory).
5. Beat'em'up.
6. Survival Horror.
7. Third Person Shooters.

And ones I don't really like/never play.

8. RTS.
9. FPS.
10. Platformer.
11. Scrolling games (haven't liked them since the mid 90's).
12. Racing games.
13. Sports games.
14. Puzzle games.
15. Vast majority of Indie games.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
1. Real Time Strategy
2. RPG, inc sci-fi, western any sub genre of rpg.
3. Point and click puzzle games
4. Survival Horror
5. First Person Shooters
6. Simulators (must be very good simulator)
7. Fighting games
----------------

anything below this is not worth mentioning especially
animae chrono trigger, zelda all that junk that deserves to be
put in the trash can.

Funny reading that none of the above posts actually consider R.T.S a good genre, need to play some Myth II soulbligher to change your mind peoples!

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
1. Third Person Shooters
2. Western RPGs
3. Real Time Strategy
4. First Person Shooters

Everything else I don't care about. *Mostly

I loves me them shootery games with the third person view and 'dem rpg elements.

RTS, well only because Starcraft, Warcraft and Homeworld series, the rest of it I don't really care for.

FPS, only for Bioshock 2 and Halo 3/Reach.

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
1: RPG (Includes roguelikes)
2: Action RPG
3: TBS
4: Adventure (Point and click and text parser based, graphical and text adventures)
5: SHMUP
6: Platformer (Both "pure" platformers and games like Megaman or Contra. Metroidvanias also go here)
EDIT: Stealth games, like Hitman and Death to Spies should go about here. I forgot.
7: FPS
8: RTS
9: Horror
10: Simulation
11: Action/Adventure
12: Puzzle
13: Rhythm
14: Fighting

I'm sure there's other more specific genres I forgot or just don't care about enough to put them on the list.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I love all genres too much to make a list, I would have to include every single genre since I don't hate any and there are too many, besides choosing which one I like more is hard, also I don't know how much is the actual genre and how much is just the game.
Besides as I was typing that list I kept coming up with even more genres and then had to re-arrange everything accordingly, until I got frustrated and deleted it because it's impossible to choose, I mean I love Run and Gun just as much as Platformers, RPGs, Action/Adventure, Turn Based Strategy, Racing games and Space-sims, BTW if that was the list all of those would be tied at #1 everything else would be tied at #2.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
LilithSlave said:
My list could not be more different methinks. Still, it really depends because virtually everyone before me has different prerequisites for what constitutes a 'genre' e.g. my definition of 'RTS' is actually quite narrow requiring a specific type of gameplay (a la C&C, DoW, Supreme Commander etc.) and while the TW series is typically bracketed in 'RTS', I don't consider it as such.

Anyway, I'll give you a list anyway, 'cos I'm so nice! *stupid cheese grin*

1 (joint) - Western role-playing (preferably sci-fi)
1 (joint) - Turn based strategy/Real time tactical hybrid (another way of saying I'm a TW fanboy)
1 (joint) - Third person action adventure
4 - First person shooters
5 - Platformers
6 - Real time strategy
7 - Third person shooters
8 - Japanese role-playing
9 - Simulators (naval ones, typically)
10 - Puzzlers

And 'genres' I won't touch with a barge pole:

Sports games, racing games, fighting games & beat 'em ups

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
1) Constructor/City Building games (Tropico, sim city).
2) Strategy/RTS/Grand strategy. Love strategy games in general so will just blob them all here, whether it be total war, xcom, romance of the 3 kingdoms or hearts of iron.
3)RPG (in the last few years it's been mostly western rpgs as hasn't been many JRPGS to catch my fancy, either way i'll bump them into the same category)
4)Adventure/Action game, especially if it has coop.
5)Platformer
6)Horror games
7)Simulation games that don't fall into first 2 categories
8)Fighting games (this goes up to 3rd place if i'm playing with friends).
9)Dancing/rythm games
10)Shooter games (3rd person or 1st person, makes little difference to me. Either way playing dude shooting at other dudes, needs an element from another genre to hold my interest)
11)Racing games ( tend not to like them with odd exception: destruction derby and wipeout 2097 that i can think off)
12)Puzzle games (find them incredibly boring to play by myself, playing with friends though is fine with me)

Doti

Jun 8, 2011
Yeah, so my list is pretty similar to yours.

<spoiler=My list>
1.JRPGs
2.Platformer
3.Fighting Games
4.Action-Adventure
5.Puzzle Game
6.Survival Horror
7.Scrolling Shooters/ Shoot em' Ups
8.Life Simulator
9.Racing Game
10.Rhythm Game
11.Real Time Strategy
12.Sports Game
13.WRPGs
14.Third Person Shooter
15.First Person Shooter

Pretty much the only FPS I ever enjoyed was Metroid Prime, perhaps because with it's focus on exploration, it's not really an FPS at all. At least I don't consider it to be.

Also, is Age Of Empires considered an RTS? If not, RTS is bumped to the the very end of that list.

werty10089 said:
2.Whatever Katamari Damacy is.
Also this. This is pretty high up there.

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
1.Western RPGs
2."Action/Adventure" Games
3.First Person Shooters
4.Puzzle Games
5.Platformer
6.Real Time Strategy Games
7.Racing Games
8.Third Person Shooters
9.Fighting Games
10.Rhythm/Dancing Game
What can I say, I'm a sucker for character creation.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
1) SP,W,RPG
2) MMORPG
3) FPS
4) TPS
5) ARPG/action/adventure
6) JRPG (on the rare occasion that they actually make a good one)
7) RTS (Mainly Civ, Every other RTS is exactly the same as any other RTS (more than 1-3 anyway))
8) WW2 Flying (Not modern flight sims)
9) Racing
10)Fighting/dancing/music/Sport/platforming/survival horror/puzzle/RL Sims/FB games/iphone games/gambling games/sex sims/educational games. (everything I don't like)

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
I need no list. This wheel says enough.

I despise anything with too much conflict. I have nothing against non-military shooters, though.

As for most most preferred genre, I'll have to say genre mashups.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
1. Action/ Adventure
2. RPG (Westen)
3. FPS
4. Scrolling Shooters/Shoot em' Ups
5. Platformer
6. Third Person Shooter
7. Strategy (Both turned base and real time)
8. Fighting
9. Puzzle
10. Suvial Horr.
11. JRPG
12. Life Simulator
13. Racing
14. Rhythm

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
1: RPG's (Not including JRPG's -.-)
2: RTS
3: Puzzles
4: Horror
5: FPS
6: Action/Adventure
7: Simulation
8: Racing
9: Sports
10: Dancing
11: JRPG's (Yes I would rather dance than play Final fantasy).

And thats it :/