List your fictional role models!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So, in these times, we see a lot of discussion back and forth about the representation of various groups in entertainment, and how they are being put in for one reason or another (diversity, tokenism, placating the SJW fascist state, etc etc). Some like to defend having a diverse set of protagonists, gives different people someone they can look up to, and be inspired by, and I happen to be in that group. So, I thought I would see what characters that you latched on to as a kid. The ones that resonated with you, and that were more than just "a fun character" for you. But a character that you actually took personal importance with, and helped shape you, even in small ways. Because I don't know about the rest of you, but I spent most of my childhood in the 80's, sitting in front of a tv, watching cartoons, and letting them color my imagination and way of seeing the world. So, I have some significant feelings about some of those characters from my youth.

First one, though these aren't in order of importance.

Optimus Prime: The old cartoon Optimus, from the original series. He was an optimistic, noble guy. Who genuinely believed in the idea that humans and robots could live together peacefully. He was super powerful, but used that power to defend those around him. And he never let his personal goal (Killing Megatron) get in the way of what he felt was his duty to protect. While it was a cliche plot device, every time Megatron would toss some civilians into danger to make his escape, Optimus would stop his attack, and save them. Every time (as best as I can remember anyway). He taught lessons of acceptance, tolerance, helping each other, and fighting for those who can't fight for themselves. This really heavily shaped my outlook on the world as a kid, to this day in a lot of ways.

And when they killed him in the Transformers movie, I was one of the multitude of kids weeping openly in utter shock at the death of one of my heroes. When he holds out the Matrix of Leadership and gasps out "Until All, are One...." and then drops it. Gah, I lost it, totally lost it.

And this one might surprise people, given his place of infamy in nerd culture.

Wesley Crusher. A tall, thin, gangly, awkward kid, who happened to have my name (something you never saw in entertainment back then, except Brad Wesley from Roadhouse, and I didn't want the badguy with my name!), was roughly my age, and was a highly intelligent kid, interested in math/science/astronomy. He always felt out of place among other kids his age, given his intelligence, but also felt awkward around adults, due to his age. But, with some work, he was able to thrive in his field of expertise, and earn the respect of those around him. This was pretty much me as a kid. Tall, gangly, awkward, way more interested in science and math, and astronomy especially. And watching a kid who even looked a lot like me at the time, who had my name, basically living my dream life of being in space, and being able to do that sciency stuff I loved? Yeah, he became a major thing for me. Primarily making me not feel ashamed or awkward about my love of science and learning, and all the various nerdy things I liked. If Wesley Crusher could enjoy them and be ok, so could I. So when people at school would try and make fun of me for what I enjoyed, it was a lot easier for me to shrug it off.

Naussica, of the Valley of the Wind.
I think this was the first anime I ever saw. It was on HBO one night, and I was totally fascinated by it as a kid. This crazy, violent, gritty world, done with animation! And the protagonist herself. A strong, capable female lead, who didn't have to sacrifice her femininity to be so. She was normally a perfectly kind and gentle princess to her people, who she genuinely cared about. But if you fuck with them, she's going to go berzerker on your ass, and holy fuck you are in trouble then. Plus she had this badass flying kite thingy that she used to fly around on. And she ends up realizing the entire conflict was fucking stupid, and found a way to end it with a minimal amount of bloodshed. She helped to shape my attraction to strong, confident women, in entertainment and in life. Reinforced by Sigourney Weaver in Aliens, and Jessica from Dune (the book, not the movie version, though that actress was stunningly beautiful, and helped shape my interests in....other areas xD )

So that's all I can think of offhand. What characters did you gravitate towards as a kid? That helped to shape you in various ways, large and small?

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
I would have said Attich Finch before Go Set a Watchman was released, but that kind of tarnished him as far as him being a paragon of virtue goes. (Though I do believe the book made him a more interesting character)

Now, I really don't know. The of character I appreciate is not the type of character I'd call a role model.

Bryan Gleeson's priest character from Calvary is probably the closest I can find. He's honest, has a purpose, and is all-around virtuous while still having a few flaws.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
The only role model I can think of at the moment is Doctor Orpheus, on the basis that, if I ever have children (A spectacularly unlikely circumstance), I am going to become him as a parent. I don't care if it ruins my marriage/relationship with their mother, it's happening.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
The only role model I can think of at the moment is Doctor Orpheus, on the basis that, if I ever have children (A spectacularly unlikely circumstance), I am going to become him as a parent. I don't care if it ruins my marriage/relationship with their mother, it's happening.

I fully support this approach to parenting. Be sure to have a room called the "REALM OF ARCAAAANE TORTUUUURE!!"

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
I'm just gonna go with Jesus. Even as an atheist, I feel he had a pretty solid philosophy I could get behind. Taking care of the vulnerable and those on the margins of society, spoke out against greed, there was a lot to admire.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I'm gonna go with William Munny, out of the Clint Eastwood vehicle Unforgiven (1992).

He tried, by god, he tried to be a good man.

Seriously though? I don't think there's any one man (beyond my own father, in reality) that I would say was someone I have modeled myself as.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
the December King said:
I'm gonna go with William Munny, out of the Clint Eastwood vehicle Unforgiven (1992).

Seriously though? I don't think there's any one man (beyond my own father, in reality) that I would say was someone I have modeled myself as.
Well I didn't ask you for any one person you've modeled yourself as. :p I asked you for characters who did have some, even minor influence on you as a kid.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011

Obviously Sailor Jupiter. I related to her loads when I was a kid, because she was a tomboy like me but also enjoyed things like baking and gardening. It was pretty rare to see a character get to do both girly things and also be tough and enjoy kicking ass. Plus she was a tall girl and I was a tall child. I'm not a tall adult, sadly. I did all my growing when I was like 12.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodies? Your grace."

"I know that one," said Vimes. "Who watches the watchmen? Me, Mr Pessimal."

"Ah, but who watches you, your grace?" said the inspector, with a brief smile.

"I do that too. All the time." said Vimes.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Mr Bean from Mr Bean.

Al Swearengen from Deadwood.

Because if you're going to take the middle ground you may as well know what the extremes look like.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
The Madman said:
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodies? Your grace."

"I know that one," said Vimes. "Who watches the watchmen? Me, Mr Pessimal."

"Ah, but who watches you, your grace?" said the inspector, with a brief smile.

"I do that too. All the time." said Vimes.
I just came in to drop off Samuel Vimes, blackboard moniter and saw this.
Happy to be beaten to the punch.
Justice, but with a heart.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Happyninja42 said:
the December King said:

Well I didn't ask you for any one person you've modeled yourself as. :p I asked you for characters who did have some, even minor influence on you as a kid.
Alrighty then!

Jake the Snake Roberts. I was forced to be him when the kids were playing wrestling because all of the other kids wanted to be the Ultimate Warrior and Undertaker, and I liked snakes, so... there. I mean, I actually liked Jake, but... well, I wasn't really into actual play-wrestling, I'd get forcibly drafted because some kids just liked to pummel other kids.

Soundwave from the original Transformers cartoon because he was the most robot-like and didn't mess around.

The Starrior Dead Eye, because he was an almost unstoppable force of destruction that was tempered with a sad and lonely soul.

The Morg, for being badass and totally worshipping the Nothing even when it was clear he wasn't going to survive himself (all very cool and scary to a kid)

Noel Fielding because he was, and is, delightfully absurd and dangerously witty.

Ogra and the Garthim from the Dark Crystal- really the whole movie had a huge impact on me and my art.

The Cryptkeeper because he was hilarious, Beetlejuice for the same reasons, Raistlin (because at the time I was easily fooled into thinking that Dragonlance was deeper than it was), Pee Wee Herman for absurdity (and definitely Ed Grimley, too), Donatello for repping nerds, Maximillian Sterling for the same reason (but in Robotech), Storm from the Misfits for being level-headed but trying to keep all of her friends safe, Animal and Gonzo (from any Muppet endeavour).

I'm totally sure I missed some, but those ones stand out for now.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Phasmal said:

Obviously Sailor Jupiter. I related to her loads when I was a kid, because she was a tomboy like me but also enjoyed things like baking and gardening. It was pretty rare to see a character get to do both girly things and also be tough and enjoy kicking ass. Plus she was a tall girl and I was a tall child. I'm not a tall adult, sadly. I did all my growing when I was like 12.
Sailor Jupiter made 6-year-old 'Plex feel things he didn't understand.
Something about larger, physically aggressive brunettes.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Rocky. In both Rocky and Rocky Balboa, it wasn't about winning - it was about going the distance, about proving he was worth something.

"It's not about hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward"

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
God dammit OP I was going to mention Optimus Prime too!

Excluding him I guess that would be-

Monkey D Luffy from One Piece- Sure there is no denine he's a dimwit but he is an honest to good dimwit about it. He value his friend more than his love for meat. He willing to helped and save people in danger from the evil when it got nothing to do with him. He's not doing it cos he has a moral justice per say (he's not Superman or Captain America), he doing it cos he want to! Sure he may tremble and fall but that only motive him to become stronger to protect those he care about!

Batman from Batman:TAS- Just to be clear, I am listing this version of Batman only. Sure Batman is mostly the same in any friction but what I liked this version more is that he is display more for having compassion! Sure I can assume his comicbook form does it too sometime but not when it shown him on tv!
Example-
He saved and help defrost that goon when Mr Freeze left him for dead when he got hit by his ice.
He symapthies and stayed a reality bending girl Ace til her death in Justice League: Unlimited.
He symapthies Harley Quinn when she was freed from jail.
He comfort that villain Baby Doll, an adult forever to look like a child.
Even when he comfront the villain Lock Down whose belittle him for caring the lowlifes, he doesn't view the ideal of helping and reforming villains to be a bad thing at all.

Also Goku was in my list but not anymore thanks to Dragonball Super! I starting to see why Teamfourstar hated him after the Namek saga. Sure he still embodies all the good viture to stop evil but now, he just craze at being the number 1 fighter to the point he will neglect his wife!

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Oh, I forgot another role model.

Like Liberty Prime, I too have an irrational fear of a long dead political system, am prone to long winded sentiment that uses bombastic language, and wish to solve all my problem with laser vision and hand tossed nukes.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
~God~? Or the J...

Jux said:
I'm just gonna go with Jesus. Even as an atheist, I feel he had a pretty solid philosophy I could get behind. Taking care of the vulnerable and those on the margins of society, spoke out against greed, there was a lot to admire.
Damnit! So late.

Hades?

Hannibal? I like feasting in fashion on tender human flesh cakes.

Honestly, i do not know. Can't say i've ever considered anyone real or fictional a role model before. Do i have a mental deficiency?

AccursedTheory said:
Oh, I forgot another role model.

Like Liberty Prime, I too have an irrational fear of a long dead political system, am prone to long winded sentiment that uses bombastic language, and wish to solve all my problem with laser vision and hand tossed nukes.
Now that does look quite enticing!

bdeamon

Mar 20, 2013
I don't know if this is egotistic, but characters I created in DnD campaigns or in video games (like Mass Effect) inspire me the most. I think it is because I make them as a more idealised version of myself, like they represent what I could be if I tried more or cared less about what others think about me.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Michael Carpenter from the Dresden Files. O'm not even religious anymore and I still think he's the prototype for decency, good parenting, and being an all around swell guy.