Little things in games that make you mad.

icypain

Apr 6, 2010
for me, Its when valve removed first person legs from left 4 dead 2. I know it wasn't much but still, It made me abit angry.

Matt225distraction

Apr 11, 2011
I hate it when some games take you into the action for a moment, you get a feel for it, and have fun with it, when suddenly a five-minute cutscene pops up.

This isn't helped when the characters in the game are totally unlikeable. On that note, I also grit my teeth whenever a game tries to make me care about characters I don't identify with, or can't even pick him/her out from a list of other characters. (Usually combat games)

I get sick of enemies being terrorists, PMC's, Russians, or Nazis. Even when they've become zombies. There's plenty of creativity to be found in making enemies- take Minecraft for example. Along with fairly standard Skeletons, Zombies, and Spiders, there's green, four-legged, exploding monsters with permanent scowls on their faces.

I'll just make a list instead.

1) Constant, long, BORING cutscenes
2) Unlikeable characters
3) Enemies being America's hit list (Terrorists, Russians, etc.)
4) Poor attempts at humor
5) Attempting to disguise itself as good through the power of BREASTS
6) Hard-to-use controls
7) Non-hilarious glitches (i.e. VM HAS CRASHED, not ragdolls being flipped about)

8) Being a Gears of War or Wii game clone. INNOVATION PEOPLE. Not making more armored soldiers lumbering about, or 'HD-ing' previous family games by the Wii.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
"Ooh, a Tactical Insertion! I think I'll lie prone and point my gun at it for a free kill rather than help my team capture the objective! I'm so clever!"

I hate that. Even more so in CTF because of the delayed respawn time.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
QTEs in the middle of cutscenes.

Really, QTEs may be lame in general, but if it's part of gameplay it isn't too bad.
I'm either supposed to watch a cutscene, or be ready to press buttons. Which is it? Seriously.
Especially if it's the "press button not to die" type.

Wuffykins

Jun 21, 2010
Personally, I'm still surprised of the rant I give off at the "Oh Cookies!" moment of Dragon Age: Origins, regardless of the following exchange with Sten (that was very well done if I'm honest).

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
1) Completely unlikable characters in RPGs. It doesn't matter so much in other genre's but an RPG where you hate your own character is doing something wrong. And can someone make some love interest that isn't just some dudes wet dream?

2) Enemies with ridiculous amounts of health for no discernible reason other than to pad out gameplay by making you fight loads of them. I swear if you'd have taken the number of rockets you fire at striders throughout half life 2 and just fired them directly at the citadel it'd have saved a whole lot of hassle.

3) Those people who call themselves fans but by most other standards would be considered religious zealots. The one's who you dare not disagree with incase they mob you later with their brainwashed mates. I'm looking at you, Valve fans.

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
Matt225distraction said:
I hate it when some games take you into the action for a moment, you get a feel for it, and have fun with it, when suddenly a five-minute cutscene pops up.

This isn't helped when the characters in the game are totally unlikeable. On that note, I also grit my teeth whenever a game tries to make me care about characters I don't identify with, or can't even pick him/her out from a list of other characters. (Usually combat games)
You should definetly stay away from Bulletstorm.

OT: I really really really hate it when a game throws Quick Time Events at you whenever it feels like it.

water_bearer

Dec 7, 2006
I hate games where the environment and the game play mechanics don't mesh well and the result is you can't quite tell where it's ok to stand or jump to, or when the "background" of the game is too similar to the game environment you have to interact with.

That kind of poor design is just so annoying.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
"Hey the game we just made is a total Modern Warfare clone, but to make it seem more different were going to shuffle the controls around a bit. Oh, and we'll make it impossible to change it back to the settings that people are actually used to and have been proven to work well"

This is weird because the game that really stands out here is Medal Of Honor, which I actually thought was the best Modern Warfare clone since Modern Warfare itself, which is as much as I was hoping for at least. I certainly like it better overall than MW2 and Black Ops. But I just got so pissed off whenever I tried to knife an enemy and instead chucked a grenade in their face from point blank range and had to leg it.

Leole

Jul 24, 2010
-When pausing takes longer than the time you take to press the button (I'm looking at you, Dragon Age: Origins for PS3)

-When they show you an amazing ability in a cut-scene, and when you try it out, is very much dumbed down. (Like when you go to a Mc Donalds for the first time, hoping to get the burger on the picture, and you get something completely different)

-When you accidentally cutoff an NPC talking because you stepped on another trigger, and you keep wondering what would they wanted to say (Portal 2, Wheatly, seriously).

-When you save your game before a big fight, and the game auto-saves automatically (This is not actually the games fault, but it does pisses me off a little)

-When they introduce a new technique or special move that you have no idea how to pull off because the tutorial is badly written/not detailed enough.

-When you save all your 1 hit kill bombs for the upcoming last boss, just to find a not so hidden (or not hidden at all) room filled with ammo.

-When you do get to shoot your 1 hit kill bombs to the boss and they do shit damage because you were supposed to use them in the last wave of enemies.

-When you do something you shouldn't have and the last quick save you did was 20 minutes in. (Again, not the actual game fault)

-When you do something to change the appearance of your character willingly, and the next mission or objective IS to change your appearance (Fuck you, Rider, Fuck you, San Andreas)

-When you only need 1 ruppee/gold coin/septim/silver/zen/bottle cap/any other currency to get the "Best thing ever" and you can't seem to get it, because you're too lazy to back track all the way to the open field to obtain it, so you half ass it and lurk around the city trying to find it.

-When you can't save because it's scripted.

-When mobs are invulnerable to a type of attack for no fucking reason. (DA:O again. Seriously, Skeletons are immune to Nature Damage? Why!?)

-When enemies throw the usual stupid shit like unblock-able spam-able attacks (Those mobs that went underground in God of War 3) or ranged attacks from unreachable places (Because the devs expect you to dodge AND kill the final boss)

-When they add timers on things that SHOULD NOT HAVE A TIMER (Prototype, I KNOW you have a special place reserved in HELL for your final battle)

-When a cut-scene starts and it doesn't exactly links up with what you did.
[small]I don't think I missed anything.[/small]

Da_Schwartz

Jul 15, 2008
Exploration in most games.

Massive open scenery as far as the eye can see and all we get is a tiny lil path to travel on with 2 ft walls or logs you cant just step over and wander off into the distance.

Also marked climb and jump points. "Hey look that ledge has some moss on it. must be where i have to jump and grab... wow look at those random stones sticking out of the wall, must be where i climb"