Little Things you Buy/Do that are a "waste"

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Buying ice cream at the local ice cream palour near work every two weeks or so on a non hot day.

Don't get me wrong I LOVED ice creams but I'm kinda a friend with the store owner. Just to be clear, the palour is popular so I'm not doing it to keep them afloat (last time I've check, they were like ranked 4th on the best ice cream palour in Wales!).

I buy his ice cream cos they're great and he always come up with new tempting flavours but I know that I don't "need" it as in I can skip passed it without having ice cream on the day. Obivious I go there on a hot day! His milk shake is ICE cold!

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
the day after having a seizure i crave strawberry milk so i buy a 2L bottle of the stuff.. I DONT KNOW WHY!

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Tostito's brand Corn Chips and El Paso brand Picante Salsa. Usually eat those in 4-6 days, but it's just so good together!

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Buying lunch everyday instead of making it at home and bringing it in. I waste so much money I don't need to, and don't really have. Ah well.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Yeah, uh, video games? Haha not really. Despite all the justification that people throw at them to make them out as a waste of time, I don't know where I'd be without them. A large chunk of my "entertainment/hobby/sports" budget goes towards my driving simulator rig, but I'm pretty good at either DIYing, or getting stuff really cheap through 2nd hand or sales.

If I had to pick something realistic, it'd be my wife's and I (mainly the wife) compulsion to buy stupid stuff to put around the house. From die cast toys, souvenirs, Lego sets, many of which are still boxed because we just don't have any damn place left to put it. And our apartment has a 2 story wall that's floor to ceiling shelves full of....stuff. When we eventually move, man that's going to be a massive pain.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I get Dunkin' Donuts on the way to work almost every day...just the little bacon, egg, and cheese wraps and maybe a tea if they're on sale.

So like 4-5 bucks every afternoon? Certainly don't need it. Could spend that on any other foodstuff and basically get a much better return on the investment. Hell, throw in all the microtransactions in mobile games that I do too, even though it's only once per month for the cheap packages that are like 5-10 bucks.

Oh, also thousands of dollars on anime figurines.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
This isn't really that kind of topic but I can't think of something I do that's a waste but I see people mention things I do here, I just see meaning in those too, so I'd be tempted to say that there's no such thing as a waste.

In trying to not change the subject too much though, I guess buying physical books or manga when I could just get em on kindle for cheaper. It's not even that I like holding em in my hands and I read a lot of other stuff off a screen. I just prefer them for some mysterious reason in physical form. Maybe as a physical emblem of my affection of the series or something else equally sentimental.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Drugs.

Ha ha. No. Junk food. I spend at least $100 a fortnight on it (going out with friends and getting my own). If only I wasn't so weak-willed.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Xsjadoblayde said:
Am 98% certain everything I've done, continue to do and will do in future is all a waste. Little and large. It takes a lot of trained self-delusion or mind-numbing to think otherwise, perhaps for now. Perhaps forever. It's an inevitability, though not sure if a trick of the mind or an omnipresent reality. Mind can't make up mind for substantial periods of time. This very action also submits to the endless oblivion of the black hole. Everything could be better spent, better optimised. Hard to pick for now. Not a good person for a lot of things. Decisions. Must stop wasting them.
Nothing matters, the inevitable heat death of the universe will destroy everything humanity has ever achieved and will ever achieve, and the personal achievements of every single person currently living will be forgotten long before that point. Everything is impermanent.

And if nothing matters then everything is a waste of time, and if everything is a waste of time then there's no reason for me not to spend my time and money making really stupid and selfish decisions, like spending all my time on video games and all my money on vacations to foreign countries.

Waste your time being happy instead of being miserable but important.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Dreiko said:
This isn't really that kind of topic but I can't think of something I do that's a waste but I see people mention things I do here, I just see meaning in those too, so I'd be tempted to say that there's no such thing as a waste.

In trying to not change the subject too much though, I guess buying physical books or manga when I could just get em on kindle for cheaper. It's not even that I like holding em in my hands and I read a lot of other stuff off a screen. I just prefer them for some mysterious reason in physical form. Maybe as a physical emblem of my affection of the series or something else equally sentimental.
IMO physical books are only a waste if you never read them. It's not just a factor of price, but also the fact that you can still read them if there's a blackout, and when Fallout happens. Books also serve a purpose as furnishings. A well-stacked shelf of books, even if it's just manga and comics, goes a long way to make an apartment look more appealing.

I wish I could say I read enough books to justify buying them, but I don't...

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Games on sale. Whether brick and mortar or digital distribution. My back catalogue of games I haven't even touched, much less finished, is growing.

After Horizon ZD I think I might just not buy anymore videogames for two years and at least give a solid playthrough to the ones I haven't even touched yet.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Browsing the internet. I'm supposed to be doing a bunch of studying and homework while on reading break, but it looks like that ain't happening.

It's weird. I usually have a hell of a time getting started on work, but once I get going, I usually get lots done.

Something I buy is probably chips. I get the cheap bags for ~1.33 or 98 cents or something, but I will eat like the whole bag in one sitting and just feel like it was a total waste to buy that. Fucking love chips though.

Shit, better get back to that essay...
(hmmm I wonder what's a good song for the ukulele...)
(hmmm I'll just go on youtube for a sec and load up a good song, woah, puppies!!)