Little touches in games that made you smile

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
I've been playing the original Half-life and its expansions (blue-shift and opposing-force) recently. I really enjoy the way the expansion packs tie in with the original game.

For example, at the start of Blue-shift, you are stood outside a door and Freeman goes past in the rail car. When you play the vanilla game, you see that security guard stood there.
Also, in Opposing force, you hear one of the soliders mention they are commensing bombing runs. Again in the original, you are caught in the middle of that bombing run.

I just injouy things like that, that tie the different perspectives together.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Gottesstrafe said:
Might not be much, but I did like how your hat and glasses can fall off in GTA 4 while you're getting your ass kicked or when you crash into something and get thrown out of your car or off your bike. There was this one time I was walking down the street to a hotdog vendor when some NPC I pushed my way past earlier snuck up on me with a bat and showed the autographed signature on the end to the back of my head. After I countered him and dropped him to the sidewalk, I noticed that my favorite pair of aviator sunglasses was knocked off during the fight so I walked back to him and gave him a few kicks in the ribs for good measure.
GTA 4 has loads of cool stuff infact so did all other GTAs. i love all the billboards and adverts with innuendos on them it goes to show that they care about us by putting silly jokes on every sign, even the bowling alley sign looks like a cock and balls :)

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
The most recent for me would be in Fable 3.
When bandits attack you, you knock one of them down and the dog finishes him. Some of the bandits will say something like "that dog should be locked up, he could hurt someone".

Or when they say something along the lines "He's scared, he is using magic".

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
RustlessPotato said:
I also love stuff you can do in games, but isn't necessary, like greeting people in RDR by pressing B on xbox :p
the achievement in RDR for killing a woman by tying her onto railway lines

rockstar are the best for these little things that make you smile. rockstar have a keen eye for details and it shows in the quality of the games

MattRobinson

Dec 21, 2011
In Deus Ex Human Revolution early on in the game if you go into the women's bathroom characters will call you out on it

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Inkidu said:
I like the fact that in Skyrim if you have all the slow time shouts you can literally pluck arrows out of the air equip them and shoot them back at the people who shot you (or if you're into character building make a monk). I smiled in that totally juvenile "FU-- Yeah!" kind of way.
This is indeed very cool.
The only thing that would have made it perfect would be to have telekinesis be strong enough to laugh things at enemies with enough force to hurt and kill them.

Apr 28, 2008
In Second Sight near the beginning, you get off an elevator and kill a security guard. Well behind him is a computer, if you log on you can see a chat-room. The guy was talking with his wife. You can even enter the chat-room and watch as she keeps typing, waiting and wondering why you don't talk back. If you exit and rejoin, she gets more agitated, and eventually just leaves.

That was a great little touch.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Apparently, you can boil water in Skyrim with fire magic.

Not only did I not know this, it's a pretty cool little inclusion.

Also all of Bethesdas metal easter eggs, specially the FO3 one.

madeleinehatter

Mar 8, 2010
I recently got around to playing Deus Ex:HR (late, I know) and I got a kick out of the Final Fantasy XXVII poster in Frank's office. Shoulda known that series will still be going on 25 years from now!

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
When I played metroid prime for the first time, seeing the water droplets and steam fogging up the visor for the first time was one those moments.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I was playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations and I noticed a scar on Ezio's lip during a cutscene. I was a bit curious, but then I remembered that at the beginning of Assassin's Creed II, he got a rock thrown at him that cut his lip and gave him the scar. Granted, it was part of his character design, so it was kind of necessary, but I still enjoyed the fact that they included it.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I'll jump on the Uncharted bandwagon and throw this one in:

Nathan Drake braces himself/puts his hand up if you're going into a wall. Most games, your character model just bumps into it and continues walking without any kind of reaction (or worst case, they just keep running in place).

tellytoy

Feb 14, 2012
In Super Mario Galaxy, if you shoot star bits at the lumas in the hub, they eat them and thank you for it.

Alhazred

May 10, 2012
Fable 2 has a lot of neat little details in it. Despite Molyneux's overhyping, I can definitely believe Lionhead put a lot of effort into it.

Every single item has a description that you can see by pressing Y, and they're often quite funny. Food items have either nauseating or heavenly descriptions depending on their rank, and potions are ranked on the "Hoggins-McGuffy Scale".

Every single buyable property has a description of the house's former owners, and just about every one has had some eccentic tennants at one time or another.

Reginald

May 9, 2012
In Icewind Dake II, if you don't kill an opponent, he turns up later to fight you. You can get around this fight by carrying corpses around and showing them to this opponent, who will get freaked out.

In Prey, Don't Fear The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult plays whilst you're being abducted.

"See you starside," after the credits in Halo: Reach. I loved Marathon, so it gave me a smile.

RustlessPotato said:
I also love stuff you can do in games, but isn't necessary, like greeting people in RDR by pressing B on xbox :p
That's a thing you can do?!

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
In Dark Souls, I found rubbish as an item that literally serves no purpose AND the item's description questions what sane person would pick such a useless thing up...cheeky buggers.

But for all time, it has to go to this conversation between three splicers in Bioshock 2: