Live-Action Attack On Titan Makes Subaru Forester Commercial Horrifying

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Live-Action Attack On Titan Makes Subaru Forester Commercial Horrifying

<youtube=NQkgmHEA5_E>​
The commercial may be an example of what to expect in an upcoming Attack On Titan live-action film.

A Subaru Forester commercial collaborated with the creators of a future Attack on Titan live-action film, giving viewers a glimpse as to what next year's movie could look like. The commercial features three Titans, one male Titan, one female Titan, and the colossal Titan.

In the commercial, the Titans attempt to swat the car as it somehow escapes unscathed without the help of the three-dimensional maneuver gear.

Special effects are a must have for a real Titan transformation. Using a green screen and makeup, two actors are transformed into the Titans. Anime News Network reports that it took four hours to apply the female Titan's makeup, giving her ratty hair and a crazy smile, along with all of the dirt over her body. A behind the scenes video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Drt7_S0p9o] shows what the actor looked like before and after the makeup was applied. In addition, the commercial used a model of the colossal Titan's upper body, which was about six feet tall and required seven people to control it.

Shinji Higuchi, the Attack On Titan live-action film director worked on the commercial. The staff has not decided if the Titans in the film will look like they do in the commercial, but Higuchi saw work on the commercial as a preview of what to expect.

In Hajime Isayama's Attack On Titan manga, humanity lives inside walls constructed to protect them from the forces of the deadly Titans who devour humans. One day the colossal Titan break through the wall and changes the lives of Eren Yeager, Mikasa Ackerman, and Armin Arlert as they train to fight the Titans. The manga inspired a 25-episode anime adaptation last year.

Source: Anime News Network [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQkgmHEA5_E]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It makes you wonder why there are no cars in Attack on Titan. I mean, I know humanity got set back, but is there no one in that entire walled off country that invented a combustion engine?

Anyway, cool commercial

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Holy shit, that was fucking terrifying! WHY IS THIS A CAR COMMERCIAL!?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Fappy said:
Holy shit, that was fucking terrifying! WHY IS THIS A CAR COMMERCIAL!?
Cause guess who's funding the film?

OT: This is pretty much how I imagined a car commercial involving this series would look like.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Haha! First it was that Pizza Hut ad and now this!

Noooo! Not our pizzas but in saying so, why would they make a titan size pissa in the first place? To test if they are willing to eat non human thing or to lure them into a trap?

Anyway, they definitely need to notch up their special effect but in saying so the makeup was fine (the female did look terrifying).

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Ugh, the anime is horrible. Why would they make a live action version of it. I'm hoping the Manga is way way way better, but I don't have a lot of faith that it's significantly different from the anime... which has just horrendous pacing.

That said, the CGI is impressive in this car commercial. We don't get car commercials this cool in America, at least not commonly. AND Subaru's are excellent cars.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
Baresark said:
Ugh, the anime is horrible. Why would they make a live action version of it. I'm hoping the Manga is way way way better, but I don't have a lot of faith that it's significantly different from the anime... which has just horrendous pacing.

That said, the CGI is impressive in this car commercial. We don't get car commercials this cool in America, at least not commonly. AND Subaru's are excellent cars.
Opinions bud. This was the most well received anime in the fandom since Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Zeriah said:
Baresark said:

Opinions bud. This was the most well received anime in the fandom since Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
I never said it was anything but opinion. But the pacing of that show is so fucked that it ruins the show. I can honestly say that it's nowhere near as good as Full Metal Alchemis: Brotherhood. That is once again, my opinion, but if you do a little searching, there are a lot of people out there that agree with me. I'm hoping they fix it in the next season, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. What's crazy is, the concept is so good, I keep going back. But I can safely say, for myself only, that I enjoy like maybe 1 out of every 3-4 episodes. But the good ones are really good.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Zeriah said:
Baresark said:

Somebody sounds defensive. I didn't like the show either, sorry if that ruins your day, bud.

The abridged episode is great though.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
Baresark said:
Zeriah said:
Baresark said:

I never said it was anything but opinion. But the pacing of that show is so fucked that it ruins the show. I can honestly say that it's nowhere near as good as Full Metal Alchemis: Brotherhood. That is once again, my opinion, but if you do a little searching, there are a lot of people out there that agree with me. I'm hoping they fix it in the next season, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. What's crazy is, the concept is so good, I keep going back. But I can safely say, for myself only, that I enjoy like maybe 1 out of every 3-4 episodes. But the good ones are really good.
You said it was horrible and apparently couldn't fathom why they would dare make a movie out of it. I just told you why. Obviously the overwhelming majority of people and critics alike don't have the same opinion as you, which is fine people have different tastes. To question why they would make a movie out of it seems pretty silly to me though - I'm sure you were aware of it's popularity and reception.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Zeriah said:
Baresark said:

I was into it at the start. Then it just slowly turned shit. Every time it introduces a new group of characters you know they're going to die. And, an anime being well received in the fandom doesn't mean anything. Why would I care about the opinions of 14 year olds on myanimelist? I've been watching anime for longer than they've been alive.

I'm sure it's great if it's the first shonen you've ever seen.
I also think FMA in general is totally overrated. Brotherhood was better than the original, but I still don't see why everyone is so in love with it.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Zeriah said:
Baresark said:
Zeriah said:
Baresark said:

You said it was horrible and apparently couldn't fathom why they would dare make a movie out of it. I just told you why. Obviously the overwhelming majority of people and critics alike don't have the same opinion as you, which is fine people have different tastes. To question why they would make a movie out of it seems pretty silly to me though - I'm sure you were aware of it's popularity and reception.
I'm fully aware of how popular it is, but that doesn't make it automatically great. And that applies to reception by everyone as well, not proof of quality at all. I actually said the show was horrible and I hope the Manga is better (as I would assume that is what it would be based off of, not the anime). I gave it a chance (read: watched the entire season) because Anime is inundated with terrible cliche shows and movies that are mostly failures. I used to watch it religiously, but a few years go by and the few great things out there are not matched by much quality from other anime. It all just becomes.. same-y. You'll also notice that the reviews of the overall show start really high, and decline as the first season progresses. But people develop a bias by first impressions. It's human nature. Even myself as you can clearly see, because as I stated, I kept watching it even though it was mostly not that enjoyable by the end. I just kept wishing for that same buzz I got out of it at first.

It suffers from what a lot of Anime suffers from. So much of the characters spend so much time in state of introspection, it interrupts the rest of what is going on. We saw this same thing going back to DBZ. Why is there three episodes of Goku powering up the spirit bomb, when it by all accounts doesn't take an hour and half to power up that particular move? It's because we have to hear everyone's inner voice talking about the situation which extends it well beyond the point where it's interesting. In this show, it has the same issue. They are using their Three Dimensional Maneuver Gear to go a block up the road in a city. That movement, which for all intents and purposes takes mere seconds is interrupted by 30-90 seconds of introspection from the characters in movement.

Like I said, I hope the Manga is better.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
It makes you wonder why there are no cars in Attack on Titan. I mean, I know humanity got set back, but is there no one in that entire walled off country that invented a combustion engine?

Anyway, cool commercial
Thats the thing. Humanity didn't get set back, but didn't go far. As far as i get out of the anime AND manga, the titans are probably man-made from a "late antique" war. The wall is, for example, colossal titanS, who make some crystal as a shell (and thats no spoiler, the anime had it already).

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Other than the Collosal Titan, that female titan distinctly reminds me of another important titan in the series

That was freaking cool. I want to see more of that. Also, the titans are absolutely freaking terrifying when created in a photo-realistic style such that that.

...AWESOME!

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Holy shit, those CGI titans looked phenomenal! I'm excited already and all i've seen is a car commercial.
See car companies, just driving through scenic vistas is not how you sell a car; you need to drive away from badass looking titans to get someone interested.

Can the movie come out sooner, please? PLEASE?!

EDIT: I just realized, since this movie is being made in Japan and most likely have japanese actors, doesn't that screw up the manga's lore? Mikasa is the only(that we know) 'asian' left in their world, which their world is more german based.
this'll be interesting.

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
I actually got a Sneak peak of the new Attack on Titan movie. Beware of Spoilers.

The Good:

The Maneuver Gear blade now looks like half a scissor.

Director Shinji Higuchi's decision to have Eren Yeager transform into a Subaru Forester.

Black Lagoon look-alike Titans

The Bad:

Titans are now called Gameras.

During flashbacks, Eren's mom is replaced by an absurdly large slice of pizza from Pizza Hut.

Notable Scenes:

Subaru Forester towing a boulder to block the gap in Wall Rose.

Mikasa rallies her shell-shocked teammates in an air-headed fashion.

Notable Lines:

CPT. PIXIS: How could we use Subaru Forester to retake the city?
ARMIN: I was trying to say we could Subaru Forester's 2.5 tonne towing capacity to move the boulder.
CPT. PIXIS: Can you do it?
EREN : YES.

SOME GUY: You want to fight all those Titans by yourself?
MIKASA: HOLD IT! Unless I fight, I cannot win. I want to win. This means I gotta fight. Everyone agrees that Gameras are bad. Bad things should be fought. I want to win against bad things. Let's fight!

ARMIN: This passenger room is Gameranic!

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
Weaver said:
I was into it at the start. Then it just slowly turned shit. Every time it introduces a new group of characters you know they're going to die. And, an anime being well received in the fandom doesn't mean anything. Why would I care about the opinions of 14 year olds on myanimelist? I've been watching anime for longer than they've been alive.

I also think FMA in general is totally overrated. Brotherhood was better than the original, but I still don't see why everyone is so in love with it.
That's fine. Doesn't change the fact that people love it, so of course it is a smart idea to make a movie from it which was my point. It is one of the highest rated and most popular animes of the last 5 years, it does make sense to make a movie about it.

Baresark said:
I'm fully aware of how popular it is, but that doesn't make it automatically great. And that applies to reception by everyone as well, not proof of quality at all. I actually said the show was horrible and I hope the Manga is better (as I would assume that is what it would be based off of, not the anime). I gave it a chance (read: watched the entire season) because Anime is inundated with terrible cliche shows and movies that are mostly failures. I used to watch it religiously, but a few years go by and the few great things out there are not matched by much quality from other anime. It all just becomes.. same-y. You'll also notice that the reviews of the overall show start really high, and decline as the first season progresses. But people develop a bias by first impressions. It's human nature. Even myself as you can clearly see, because as I stated, I kept watching it even though it was mostly not that enjoyable by the end. I just kept wishing for that same buzz I got out of it at first.

It suffers from what a lot of Anime suffers from. So much of the characters spend so much time in state of introspection, it interrupts the rest of what is going on. We saw this same thing going back to DBZ. Why is there three episodes of Goku powering up the spirit bomb, when it by all accounts doesn't take an hour and half to power up that particular move? It's because we have to hear everyone's inner voice talking about the situation which extends it well beyond the point where it's interesting. In this show, it has the same issue. They are using their Three Dimensional Maneuver Gear to go a block up the road in a city. That movement, which for all intents and purposes takes mere seconds is interrupted by 30-90 seconds of introspection from the characters in movement.

Sure but being shocked at them making a movie out of one of the most popular and highest rated anime's is a bit silly don't you think?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Zeriah said:
Weaver said:

That's fine. Doesn't change the fact that people love it, so of course it is a smart idea to make a movie from it which was my point. It is one of the highest rated and most popular animes of the last 5 years, it does make sense to make a movie about it.

Baresark said:

Sure but being shocked at them making a movie out of one of the most popular and highest rated anime's is a bit silly don't you think?
That's fair, I mistyped. My fault. I meant that it's such shit, I'm surprised it's profitable enough to warrant an attempt at a live action movie. But apparently there is no accounting for taste no the internet. j/k

For real though, I meant to overall express my dissatisfaction and stated my purpose incorrectly. On the other hand, even if they make it 3 hours long, there would be no defending a bad movie or denying a good movie. So, it's a win for both sides. If it's good, it's good and if it's bad, it'll be bad. It's not like the anime which is punctuated by great moments but is overall very boring, has very cliche characters and terrible pacing. I kept watching because I wanted more of the really good moments, but they were few and far between. If we ever get to see it over here, I'll give it a fair chance because the property has some very interesting ideas and overall arching story is very interesting. I would be surprised if I didn't have to wait for a DVD though. We'll see what happens.