LoadingReadyRun: Antiquing

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Antiquing

Sales abound at your local friendly Antique Store!

Watch Video

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
I think I'd go to Reilly's Pile of Old Crap before I'd go to any antique shop. Although why you'd open an antiques shop directly opposite another antiques shop is anyone's guess.

Try to avoid wooden boxes with your initials carved on them. It never ends well.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
kailus13 said:
Although why you'd open an antiques shop directly opposite another antiques shop is anyone's guess.
Dammit, we opened first!
They opened few months later.
Why? Dunno, maybe they're stupid or something.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
kailus13 said:
I think I'd go to Reilly's Pile of Old Crap before I'd go to any antique shop. Although why you'd open an antiques shop directly opposite another antiques shop is anyone's guess.

Try to avoid wooden boxes with your initials carved on them. It never ends well.
I wonder this myself whenever I see a local mattress store right across from Bed Bath & Beyond, or anything across from Wal-Mart. Dividing your possible customers between yourself and that big-name store over there never works out. Hey, got any brass doorknobs? I could use a few for my....doors, yea I'm gonna use them on doors.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I've seen this so many times here where I am... Except they call themselves flea markets now.

Still haven't found one that's realized that currently vintage computers have strong appeal though - It's without a doubt a strong market right now.

Jan 12, 2012
Remus said:
Hey, got any brass doorknobs? I could use a few for my....doors, yea I'm gonna use them on doors.
Sure, we sell them by the pillowcase for... easy carrying. And remember, Reilly's does all our business in cash, so we could never tell the police who bought certain items, or even if a person came into our store in the first place.

OT: Reilly needs someone to buy that musket away from him soon, or his next commercial will never get aired.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Wait a second... Where did Fairbank's Antiques move to anyway? I'm confused.

Or did he just take it off the map to scorn them? heh.

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
Makabriel said:
Wait a second... Where did Fairbank's Antiques move to anyway? I'm confused.

Or did he just take it off the map to scorn them? heh.
Pretty sure it was to scorn them, especially since he offered a 10% discount on everything in the store for breaking stuff from Fairbank's Antiques.

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
kailus13 said:
Although why you'd open an antiques shop directly opposite another antiques shop is anyone's guess.
There can actually be a logic to it: The area has proven that there is a demand for that sort of store and you know you have a potential client base. The question is whether it can support two stores, and often that's actually a more likely position than finding out if an area can support ONE of a kind of store.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
008Zulu said:
Antiques? What am I going to do with a CRT t.v?
ill take it off your hands if you dont want it.
Seriuosly, CRTs are awesome. if you got the space for thme and dont mind thme weighing a ton, they still got ANY other monitor beat in function.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The stinger needed a mic drop. Even if it'd lose effect due to size.

Remus said:
I wonder this myself whenever I see a local mattress store right across from Bed Bath & Beyond, or anything across from Wal-Mart. Dividing your possible customers between yourself and that big-name store over there never works out. Hey, got any brass doorknobs? I could use a few for my....doors, yea I'm gonna use them on doors.
Usually, it's the other way around. Big stores will move in to an area specifically because they can take the divided base longer. You win out through attrition, and then you rule.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
kailus13 said:

If you have multiple stores of the same type in the same area, people looking for things those stores sell are more likely to go there than if there was only one store (assuming they're not selling products that are identical from store to store, like groceries). I mean, if you're looking for a couch, are you going to go to a furniture store that's located across town from any other furniture store, or are you going to go to the three furniture stores located right next to each other? Having them close together means customers have a much larger range to choose from, so they're more likely to chose that option. The separate one might get a bigger slice of their pie, but the three together are going to have a much larger pie to share.

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
kailus13 said:
The area where I work has two antique stores across the street from each other. They used to be partners, and now they hate each other. They're constantly fighting over parking lot space and trying to file police reports on each other.