LoadingReadyRun: Assassin Creeds

CWestfall

Apr 16, 2009
This video made me smile; I think I like history facts Andy. Then this comment thread inspired me to shove Hark! A Vagrant comics under random doors, but I thought I should post this comment first.

Also, never order a poutine from A&W. It's a bad scene, guys.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CaptainPugwash said:
And tell that cat to stay out of shot.
But...But...Kittehs!

nonl33t m4st3r said:
Surprisingly, a lot of Germans do enjoy playing WWII games. They've come to terms with what their grandfathers did.
A good chunk of the America--Fuck yeah! Crowd, however, are closer to Holocaust deniers than coming to grips with the past. So his point makes sense, even if his example falters.

We applaud drug dealers and pirates, even while firing on pirate ships and declaring war on drugs.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
nonl33t m4st3r said:
Surprisingly, a lot of Germans do enjoy playing WWII games. They've come to terms with what their grandfathers did.

Also, you could totally have had a black ops bad ass fight in the American revolution; they were called Roger's Rangers. They even fought on both sides of the American revolution, allowing for a elite enemy to fight!
you wish. XD
less "come to terms" and more "cursing everything even remotely nazi related to hell and back".
We treat it more or less like a different country that came before us, so it's not really "our past". (I assume this is the case because this mindset makes dealing with it a lot easier, considering how one doesn't need to blame oneself, etc.)
otherwise pretty true, though

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Yeah...it doesn't make much sense that a French Canadian company is making a game that is set in the timeframe of the American Revolution (Not a bad thing, just kinda ironic).

Now I'm Canadian myself (Just not French), but the irony is just...there...

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
cricket chirps said:
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
Someone else agrees with me that the next AC game is a bad idea :/ which i really wish it wasn't but WOW do i dislike that setting -_-
I'm curious. Do dislike the setting because you feel it is out of place in the Assassins Creed series, Or do you feel that they were forced to stretch the characters to much in order to fit into a time period that is has much better records than The Crusades or The Renaissance?

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Andy vs Paul in terms of smartypantsness. Amazing. Nice to see that the consensus seems to be that the game is no bueno.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
That may have been the single best punchline of all time. Just sayin'.

On a side note, can Paul and Andy do a "The whole story..." Duet some time. I think that would seven degrees of hilarious.

Calvar Draveir

Feb 10, 2010
SteewpidZombie said:
Yeah...it doesn't make much sense that a French Canadian company is making a game that is set in the timeframe of the American Revolution (Not a bad thing, just kinda ironic).

Now I'm Canadian myself (Just not French), but the irony is just...there...
Why does it not make sense? The nationality of the country hasn't affected where previous games were set... It's to be expected that no time frame/setting is off limits.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
I love it when you talk proper historical context to me, Andy...

Loved it, lads :D

Also, while I really liked the redemption of Altair through the Codex pages, it's very hard to like the guy at all in-game, even in Revelations he's very distant, though, of course, he gets better with age.

I shall always be a fan of Messer Auditore, though!

Shame I couldn't watch this on Monday... my browser was acting lame!

Here's to our next hero- half English, half Native political correctness box ticking guy! :p
Really looking forward to seeing how things get changed up.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Some really funny quotes from this. It's odd to see you guys doing topical LRR, they're usually timeless, but it works. I'd like to see more of that.
GrizzlerBorno said:
That may have been the single best punchline of all time. Just sayin'.

On a side note, can Paul and Andy do a "The whole story..." Duet some time. I think that would seven degrees of hilarious.
This. Soo much this!!

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Zhukov said:
What is "poo-teen" and how do I spell it?
It's poutine, a French-Canadian food of fries covered with gravy and cheese curds. Like many foods, it repulses right-minded people, but it's necessary if you wish to survive a harsh Canadian winter.
Chips and gravy, that's awesome. Pretty standard really, when eating pie and chips or just getting a portion from the chippy. But throwing cheese curds on top? What the hell is wrong with you, Canada?

Oh, it gets worse, I just saw the picture of poutine of Wikipedia and it looked like someone had just thrown chunks of lard onto some chips. I know we here in England are unfairly maligned for our actually pretty awesome food, so I hate to say this, but that just looks nasty :p

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
T3hSource said:
You are not special!
Yay,I'm not the only idiot who went to the extent to find the original material which inspired AC1,just because he was obsessed with that game.[/quote]

Personally I looked it up years ago, after one of Terry Pratchett's books mentioned the hashishim, who were deadly killers with a tendency to giggle a lot and enjoy the light reflecting off their knife blades :-D

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
TIMESWORDSMAN said:
cricket chirps said:
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
Someone else agrees with me that the next AC game is a bad idea :/ which i really wish it wasn't but WOW do i dislike that setting -_-
I'm curious. Do dislike the setting because you feel it is out of place in the Assassins Creed series, Or do you feel that they were forced to stretch the characters to much in order to fit into a time period that is has much better records than The Crusades or The Renaissance?
A fair question.

I feel that it is out of place in the series. Though that is not entirely my reason it is a part. I feel that for once it might actually be predictable and i don't like that.

I mean from the trailer and gameinformer's articles(let alone the art itself screams it) George washington will turn out to be a templar or atleast an antaginist. Hence the black trench coat they have him in for no other reason than to make him look JUST stereotypically evil enough that when they make the "big reveal" it wont seem unbelievable.

I feel they are just trying to avoid puting guns in the game for as long as possible so they wont have to remake the mechanics of the game. Which sadly is inevitable if they want to go any further into the future. I really like the mechanics currently but even i see that it will have to change if they ever want to just finish desmonds story in the future -_- which i wish they would just jump to already.

-note that i have yet to finish Revalations as i have been busy and have been able to avoid spoilers so who knows, maybe he is already dead or something-

I have further issue that even in the time period they are about to set it in. They ALMOST NEVER used swords; rifles and cannons in lines were the only way they fought unless they were under attack from native americans. I just think that they do infact have to stretch the logical reality of it a bit too much to keep the games general mechanics working in this new setting. While that is inevitable in my eyes, i wished they had simply jumped into the future by now to do an overhaul, and not just stretch the series longer and make the story more "deep" and "complex"

Edit: sorry for making it so long. I've been talking about this with friends and co-workers since the announcement and i've explained my side so many times i honestly can't think of how i phrased it so well before. Even i admit that all that ^ might not be well worded. :( just so dissapointed that this is the direction the series is taking.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
LadyRhian said:
Being that you guys are Canadians, why would Paul care about someone being an AMERICAN badass? ::Scratches head, mystified.:: Wouldn't you be more interested in a Canadian Badass? Assuming that, you know, Canadians could even BE badass. Oh, okay, that's why... nevermind!

CAPTCHA: French Fried Hmmm... guess we know what Captcha thinks of Ubisoft Montreal...
Probably because in this video they were playing American characters. That happens sometimes.
Zhukov said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Zhukov said:
What is "poo-teen" and how do I spell it?
It's poutine, a French-Canadian food of fries covered with gravy and cheese curds. Like many foods, it repulses right-minded people, but it's necessary if you wish to survive a harsh Canadian winter.
Then I am apparently not in my right mind, because that sounds rather tasty in a Friday-night-meal-made-from-whatever-is-left-in-the-kitchen sort of way.
I think it's people who dislike poutine that aren't in their right minds.

DJShire

Sep 27, 2008
Da Joz said:
I find it hard to believe that Paul doesn't know what poutine is.
It was for the joke....Paul knows what poutine is, he even had some in the Iron Stomach Challenge for Canada Day a couple of years ago.