LoadingReadyRun: Canada is Sorry

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
KAPTAINmORGANnWo4life said:
You've definately lost most of your real Canadian viewers.
We actually have quite a large Canadian fanbase, and I object to the implication that they are any less Canadian than anyone else from Canada.

You're taking this far too seriously.

Lord Hawkeye

Mar 18, 2009
RMcD94 said:
No one from Scotland? :eek:

I doubt that was the reason in 1869 or whatever, because at that time the relationship between us and the U.S.A. was alright.
Especially considering the fact we were the ones who sold Alaska.
The Russians sold Alaska, they wanted a bidding war between the UK and the USA, but only the USA was interested, no idea why. Maybe they had money hanging around. They weren't enemies with Russia at that point at all.

Edit: Hold on, that's what you just said.
There wasn't much value in Alaska at the time Russia tried to pawn it off. The UK was already raking in the gold thanks to BC. And if the UK really wanted Alaska they would have just taken it like the Russians feared they would. Hence why the Tsar wanted to sell the land, to at least gain some profit from the icy land. Funny fact, it took Russia almost 8 years to finally sell it to the US.

Aug 17, 2009
Matt_LRR said:
Matt_LRR said:
Am I the only one who's sick of these lame-ass repetitive jokes? They even lifted a bit straight off of Jon Stewart.

Back in the War years, it was Japanese (but really any non-Middle Eastern or Indian looking person from Asia), Germans, and Italians who were "totally acceptable" targets, then it was the Russians and Chinese (again, really anybody from East of Burma), and now it's the Irish, Canadians, French, Americans (funny enough), and still East Asians.

This was not funny, nor has it been the 95 other times I've heard the exact same bits.
Learn some material that isn't old, unfunny, and offensive
given that we, as canadians, spent the entire video taking the piss out of ourselves, you can class this video squarely in the "self-depricating" category, rather than that of "attack based on nationalism"

yes, the ground is well trodden. such is life when having fun with stereotypes.

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it.

-m
It doesn't matter if it's self-depreciating, in fact that makes it worse. Why would you want to perpetuate pathetically old "jokes" at your own expense? Many people use that bullshit excuse, but the Canadian nationality is so depreciated, it would have almost no resale value. Especially less than a week after Canada Day. Garbage like this is just like Blaxploitation: It reaffirms negative stereotypes, and it is willingly participated in by the people who should be outraged by it.

*raised eyebrow*

You are aware that having fun at our own expense is rather a hallmark of canadian comedy the nation over, right?

-m

edit: and that we at LRR have traditionally done such a video in recognition of canada day every year?
Yes, I do, and it's just as bad as the "White People do X, Black People do Y." routine. It's ancient, and only hacks use it. And if you make a tradition of dishonouring Canada on its national holiday, then there definately is something wrong with that.

GrahamS said:
We actually have quite a large Canadian fanbase, and I object to the implication that they are any less Canadian than anyone else from Canada.

You're taking this far too seriously.

But it's not just this, it's the general attitude towards Canada, even by Canadians. Almost everybody choose to associate myself with had to fight tooth-and-nail to become Canadian, and they have a far stronger sense of national pride than these people who only care on July 1st and whenever Hockey is on the television. The nation is nothing but hindered by these tired stereotypes, but unlike other nations that are victims of this (such as Ireland and France), many Canadians seem content to just allow these things to be said, even joining in. It's not like Black Americans calling each-other ******, the only thing we're reclaiming is a every stereotype others work so hard to eliminate.

Aug 17, 2009
Pugiron said:
KaptainDumbRumJoke said "Am I the only one who's sick of these lame-ass repetitive jokes? They even lifted a bit straight off of Jon Stewart.

Back in the War years, it was Japanese (but really any non-Middle Eastern or Indian looking person from Asia), Germans, and Italians who were "totally acceptable" targets, then it was the Russians and Chinese (again, really anybody from East of Burma), and now it's the Irish, Canadians, French, Americans (funny enough), and still East Asians.

This was not funny, nor has it been the 95 other times I've heard the exact same bits.
Learn some material that isn't old, unfunny, and offensive"

Well, when Japan apologizes for executing prisoners of war, raping every woman in Nanking, and killing whales for food and lieing about it, maybe we can consider not making fun of their worthless asses. But Before you try to hide behind the "All East Asians" tag, go ask the Chinese if they want to be lumped in with the people that killed more Chinese than the Nazi's killed Jews.

I put them together because they all get abused in the same manner. You've seen it and so have I. I don't group two distinct groups of people together, but there are plenty of "Chinese, Japanese, same thing" people out there.

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
Samsont said:
Hey! I'm canadian and this is offensive! america is the one with alaska! This is extremely offensive to canadians!!! So lay of canadians!
The rest of Canada is sorry that you were offended by an off-hand joke in a humour-oriented video by Canadians.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Yes, I do, and it's just as bad as the "White People do X, Black People do Y." routine. It's ancient, and only hacks use it. And if you make a tradition of dishonouring Canada on its national holiday, then there definately is something wrong with that.
If you think this video was made with any intent other than a respectful and good-natured enjoyment of our own national quirks in light of a national holiday, you're seriously mistaken.

And while I certainly wouldn't claim that a video like this is the highest calibre of razor-sharp humourous wit, I do think it is funny, and I do think it is perfectly ok to have fun at one's own expense, or to play with national stereotypes.

You didn't like it. That's cool. you're allowed. You think the comedy is tired and worn out? that's cool too. I think we took a fresh angle on an old joke, but you're entitled to your opinion, and we appreciate the input. I do believe however, that you're taking it way too personally, and I think you're reading malintent where there truly is none.

We make fun of ourselves like this because we are secure in our belief that whatever people think of us, or our country, we live in what is truly the greatest nation on earth, quirks, foibles, and all.

-m

Aug 17, 2009
Matt_LRR said:
If you think this video was made with any intent other than a respectful and good-natured enjoyment of our own national quirks in light of a national holiday, you're seriously mistaken.

And while I certainly wouldn't claim that a video like this is the highest calibre of razor-sharp humourous wit, I do think it is funny, and I do think it is perfectly ok to have fun at one's own expense, or to play with national stereotypes.

You didn't like it. That's cool. you're allowed. You think the comedy is tired and worn out? that's cool too. I think we took a fresh angle on an old joke, but you're entitled to your opinion. I do believe however, that you're taking it way too personally, and I think you're reading malintent where there truly is none.

We make fun of ourselves like this because we are secure in our belief that whatever people think of us, or our country, we live in what is truly the greatest nation on earth, quirks and foibles included.

-m

Well, you still could have come up with something less stereotypical. I may be abrasive about things like this, but it's only because I'm constantly exposed to it, as a Canadian with Irish heritage and a great number of Asian (as in from Pakistan to the Philippines) friends.

You are rather funny people, but relying on these old stereotypes is beneath you.

ThatFatWhiteGuy

Jul 5, 2010
What the hell im canadian :mad: i cant beleave you would say such harmful things. you know what, F*ck you ARRGH..... i-im sorry that was uncalled for its just i hate stariotypes like canadians saying sorry to much... any way im sorry for the outburst just try not to be such a hatter.... also im sorry for critisizing you creative genuise and wile im at it im sorry im 18 and still a virgen, im sorry for england loseing the world cup and im sorry for all the people who read this entire post and im sorry for wasting your time.....im sorry

Zeroththeking

Jan 20, 2009
Surely videos are made for fun...

They made this video for fun. Its one video that someone didn't like... Out of the several years that they have been making them. If you don't like this video, dont complain about it. I myself enjoyed this video, but if you don't, watch the others that are on the sight. Or that are on Loadingreadyrun.com, Im sure if you don't like these videos, the old ones will get a few laughs out of you.

TheMadDormouse

Jul 5, 2010
But it's not just this, it's the general attitude towards Canada, even by Canadians. Almost everybody choose to associate myself with had to fight tooth-and-nail to become Canadian, and they have a far stronger sense of national pride than these people who only care on July 1st and whenever Hockey is on the television. The nation is nothing but hindered by these tired stereotypes, but unlike other nations that are victims of this (such as Ireland and France), many Canadians seem content to just allow these things to be said, even joining in. It's not like Black Americans calling each-other ******, the only thing we're reclaiming is a every stereotype others work so hard to eliminate.
Wait, what stereotypes are you worried about? As far as I can tell Canada is one of the most well liked countries on earth, or at least one of the least hated. As an American pretty much the only stereotype I have heard about Canadians is they are nice but a bit overly polite.

Stereotypes are always going to exist and they are never going to be very accurate. If the worst trait people associate you with is passive-aggressiveness you are better off then pretty much any other group in the world.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I thought you guys were apologizing for Canada about what happened around this week. Maybe you are but you just did it very secretly! Either way, excellent episode. And yeah, you should be sorry for those 3 things (Not necessarily James Cameron though. He did make Titanic which was Descent), and many of your cartoons too!

Aug 17, 2009
TheMadDormouse said:
Wait, what stereotypes are you worried about? As far as I can tell Canada is one of the most well liked countries on earth, or at least one of the least hated. As an American pretty much the only stereotype I have heard about Canadians is they are nice but a bit overly polite.

Stereotypes are always going to exist and they are never going to be very accurate. If the worst trait people associate you with is passive-aggressiveness you are better off then pretty much any other group in the world.

But unlike so many other groups, Canadians never get the qualification of "Well, you did do [X]". Americans get credit for past accomplishments of their nation, as do the Japanese, Germans, and Russians, but with Canada, it's all stereotype, no history. Outside of the Netherlands, you don't hear too many people talking about Juno Beach. No Vimy Ridge, but plenty of Normandy and Stalingrad, you know? Not to disrespect others accomplishments.

It's very grating going two decades hearing very little in popular media about your nation's accomplishments.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
But unlike so many other groups, Canadians never get the qualification of "Well, you did do [X]". Americans get credit for past accomplishments of their nation, as do the Japanese, Germans, and Russians, but with Canada, it's all stereotype, no history. Outside of the Netherlands, you don't hear too many people talking about Juno Beach. No Vimy Ridge, but plenty of Normandy and Stalingrad, you know?

It's very grating going two decades hearing very little in popular media about your nation's accomplishments.
That is a point well made, and with which I agree... to an extent.

I tend to think of Canada rather as the Silent Bob to The US's Jay. They're the visible, outspoken, rowdy one, and we're larger, quieter, compsed, a little wiser, and we only really speak up when we have something goddamned important to say. They may get all the chicks, but we know we're the more likable one of the duo.

As long as we canadians know of our own accomplishments, and don't let them slide into obscurity, it's ok if everyone else just sees us as a stereotype. We can take the ribbing.
-m

Aug 17, 2009
Matt_LRR said:
But unlike so many other groups, Canadians never get the qualification of "Well, you did do [X]". Americans get credit for past accomplishments of their nation, as do the Japanese, Germans, and Russians, but with Canada, it's all stereotype, no history. Outside of the Netherlands, you don't hear too many people talking about Juno Beach. No Vimy Ridge, but plenty of Normandy and Stalingrad, you know?

That is a point well made, and with which I agree... to an extent.

I tend to think of Canada rather as the Silent Bob to The US's Jay. They're the visible, outspoken, rowdy one, and we're quieter, compsed, wiser, and we only really speak up when we have something goddamned important to say. They may get all the chicks, but we know we're the more likable one of the duo.

As long as we Canadians know of our own accomplishments, and don't let them slide into obscurity, it's ok if everyone else just sees us as a stereotype. We can take the ribbing.
-m
A large part of the problem is youth ignorance. Canada is so saturated with American media, our young care more about their history than ours. A young man in America, even if he hasn't lifted a history textbook in his life, probably knows about a great deal of his country's past, just because of how much media is based on it. Here, we had one film about Canadian history (Passchendaele), and it performed horribly because people didn't care.

Rather than piping up after somebody else talks about how great they are with: "Well, we did this and that.", we should instead take a more active role in educating our young, as they will then educate the rest of the world. Canada Day would have been a perfect opportunity to do that.

Maybe next year, your Canada Day skit could be more about entertaining things from our history, like, well, anything Pierre Trudeau ever did.