LoadingReadyRun: Female Characters

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Rebel_Raven said:
I wonder what would happen if "Are women playable?" was asked at every gaming presentation interview?
Women would be playable in a great many more games.

-m

Conan_Edogawa

Apr 14, 2009
Aardvaarkman said:
Trilandian said:
DirgeNovak said:
Also, congratulations to Graham and Kathleen who got married on Saturday! :D
Fo' reelz? Hot dang! Congrats to the Stark couple!
You know they're just trying to populate the Moonbase with more Starks. Security and all.
There must always be a Stark in Winterfell The Moonbase.

and congrats to Graham and Kathleen on their wedding.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
DirgeNovak said:
I see Kathleen is wearing a wedding ring in the video but Graham isn't. Clearly this relationship has some commitment issues.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Makabriel said:
Ovispositor jiggle physics.. I laughed way too hard at that one.
I feel much better knowing I'm not the only one.

What were they reading?

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Conan_Edogawa said:
Aardvaarkman said:
Trilandian said:
DirgeNovak said:
You know they're just trying to populate the Moonbase with more Starks. Security and all.

Beware old men with many daughters. They are not to be trusted, especially within their own home.

RazgrizRex

Jul 3, 2014
Conan_Edogawa said:
Aardvaarkman said:
Trilandian said:
DirgeNovak said:

Let's just hope that they don't end up like the Winterfell Starks :/

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Aardvaarkman said:
Trilandian said:
DirgeNovak said:
If they ever have a kid, please let it be named Eddard/Ned or Catelyn...

mrverbal

May 23, 2008
DirgeNovak said:
It is a brave, brave woman who is willing to show up at a stark wedding.

I hope the dress was red.

soh45400

Jun 1, 2012
Game after game has proven that action games with female leads do not sell well weather you like it or not. And a lot of them are still made. And this includes great ones like Mirror's Edge and Beyond good and evil.
Non-action games with female protagonist are just not at all covered by the Escapist, IGN or even whatever stupid publication decided to ask Ubisoft that question and yet they do turn a hefty profit. And there was an assassin's creed game with a female main character, and it didn't sell.
These people have to make money, you pathetic hippies.

On the other hand GTA San Andreas sold very well as well as GTA 5, I can't recall many other games with African-American protagonists.
Prince of Persia Sands of time series sold well yet no other Arab characters. The only recent one I can recall is Farid from Black Ops 2.
In fact, I can't even recall American games,other than the excellent GTA 4, with other nationalities as main characters while Japan's most famous character is an Italian-American.
But no one talks about the racial inequality in games. Escapist itself has NO non-white staff in the videos or articles as far as I know but they do have women. The Escapist convention, based on videos I saw here, could have been mistaken for a KKK rally with the lack of non-white people there.

Most importantly, remember the last time Ubisoft listened to fans about where the next Assassin's Creed game should be set and who should be the protagonist, we got Assassin's Creed 3. In my opinion, the worst game in the entire series.
And games aren't the only thing where fan input ruins things. Remember Snakes on a Plane? Or an older example, the return of Sherlock Holmes when Aurthur Conan Doyle wanted him dead?

Also the fish thing, it is easy to do. If you knew proper programming you would know something about Design Patterns, use the same basic fish class and define other behavior on top using the Decorator Pattern, done.

xxobot

Jun 2, 2014
soh45400 said:
Game after game has proven that action games with female leads do not sell well weather you like it or not. And a lot of them are still made. And this includes great ones like Mirror's Edge and Beyond good and evil.
...based on what sales figures? The ones I am looking at show the quoted games selling rather well.

Game protagonists also do not exist in a vacuum either, they can be likeable and whatever gender or nationality you like - but if you drop them into aliens colonial marines the game was going to sell poorly anyway.

I am going to say there are not enough female protagonists in enough variety of games to make a statement like the above.

soh45400 said:
But no one talks about the racial inequality in games.
Just recently there was a whole debarcle over the most recent far cry cover being released without context. Its actually kind of hard to avoid being labelled racist for some reason or another, low hanging fruit and all.

soh45400 said:
Escapist itself has NO non-white staff in the videos or articles as far as I know but they do have women. The Escapist convention, based on videos I saw here, could have been mistaken for a KKK rally with the lack of non-white people there.
One sin does not excuse another. (Also is there evidence for this too? I don't know the composition of escapist staff myself...)

soh45400 said:
These people have to make money, you pathetic hippies.
And yet they insist on biting the hand that feeds the time and time again. Frankly they -shouldn't- be making money. Just saying.

Haz88

Nov 19, 2009
Brilliant sketch. Cam seems like a brilliant production lead :D

Namechangeday said:
Off topic: I cannot believe I just read all the youtube comments.
Sweet lord... you are a braver soul than I, spelunking the youtube chasm.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Clankenbeard said:
I see Kathleen is wearing a wedding ring in the video but Graham isn't. Clearly this relationship has some commitment issues.
Since this video was released before the wedding to kickstarter backers, I don't think that's a wedding ring just yet.

OT: Great video, my favourite in a while. Now I'm curious as to how differently different types of fish react to falling NPCs.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
soh45400 said:
Action games with female leads are also under-supported by their own publishers, and are provided, on average, ~40% of the marketing budget of other similar male-led games. This is a self-fulfilling prophecy, not an insurmountable fact.

soh45400 said:
But no one talks about the racial inequality in games. Escapist itself has NO non-white staff in the videos or articles as far as I know but they do have women. The Escapist convention, based on videos I saw here, could have been mistaken for a KKK rally with the lack of non-white people there.
Except, people do talk about it. Just last week, there was a major outcry within the industry over the hiring of two white men by GiantBomb - leading so significant criticism leveled at mainstream game publications over the white-male homogeneity of staff-writers while non-white and non-male writes frequently struggle in freelance, and have to supplement their income through crowd-funding and outside work. This criticism was, admittedly, led by a number of women, but the focus was very clearly on diversifying the critical voice in several ways, including race, gender, and sexuality.

The mainstream gaming press broadly didn't cover this, but it was the mainstream gaming press that was predominantly under attack, so no surprise.

-m

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
The video brings up a good point -

What if videogame companies just haven't worked out how to render the textures of women's exoskeletons yet? I mean, that's some next gen processing required for that.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
uanime5 said:
Also the way women walk is different from the way men's walk, so you can't use men's walking animation of female characters without them looking odd.
Yeah, I don't think you've ever seen a woman in real life.

They walk the same way as men do, using their legs and feet in an alternating cycle using one limb followed by the other.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
uanime5 said:
If you'd ever watched a woman walk you'd know they walk differently to men. As women have a different shaped pelvis to men (they need it to be wider in order to give birth) they swing their hips when they walk.
Like I said, I don't think you've ever seen real women. There are plenty of women with narrow hips. I'm a pretty skinny guy, but I know heaps of women who have more slender frames and less body fat than me.