LoadingReadyRun: How to Find Free Wifi

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I was once able to use Starbucks free Wi-fi without buying a single coffee. Yeah, Breakin' the law!
DVS BSTrD said:
You guys certainly have managed to get kicked out of a lot of places. I'd say you have impressive Banned width.
Oh, you & your puns. You forgot the sunglasses bit.

uberhippy

Apr 28, 2011
I feel more learned already... Keep the Edu-vids coming guys!

Why don't you just go into public libraries? they always have free (but very slow) internet :)

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
My neighbout has a netgear modem but she wised up and after a few months she started using a password... Unfortunately it is still the default password and the same model modem as mine so I have the password printed nicely to the bottom of the modem.

For reference, I do have my own internet but the wireless connection to her modem from my kitchen is stronger than to my own modem in the living room... (Damn you thick walls)

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
I was once able to use Starbucks free Wi-fi without buying a single coffee. Yeah, Breakin' the law!
Oh, you're so baaaad *Giggle*

OH GOD I WANT YOU SO MUCH TAKE ME NOW

Slanzinger

Nov 19, 2009
As a long-time fan I find it... unsettling that you guys are advocating wardriving. Especially the idea of publicising "there is an open hotspot here", that's not cool. (and technically the legality is VERY questionable as you are essentially accessing people's home networks when doing this)

Here in the UK there is a system BT has set up called FON, where people with BT broadband can open their router up as an OpenZone access point for other people with BT broadband (and people who have openzone access) to use - and it is treated as a completely separate network from the home one. A better solution (though is contingent on using BT).

In short: If a business (or individual) sets up a specific access point to allow you internet access, then by all means use it. If an individual, through their ignorance, has not set up encryption however, simply pity them. Don't exploit their mistake.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
What I got out of this video is that wearing a business suit and having a phone out in the open makes you more attractive to the opposite sex.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
best thing to do is go to a university. Most of those in my area have a university WiFi and a guest WiFi. If you're young enough you look like a student. If you're old enough you'll look like a professor.

Ryokai

Apr 4, 2010
Jesus, reminds me of the eight months I didn't have internet for and had to steal neighbor's wifi.

First time I ever guessed a password correctly, too. 12345.

Ah, good memories.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
The library where I work has free WiFi. One at a neighboring Library can actually be accessed without going inside the building, and it runs 24/7. They haven't yet caught anyone outside at night, though.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Lol, I remember being abroad in Germany in 2004... Wardriving at a snailspace in some residential area. We'd picked the hostel based on proximity to the CeBIT fair (Largest yearly IT conference in the EU) AND because it had free wifi for customers.

Luckily I'd borrowed the hot new Blackberry for a test, so I had -ridiculously expensive- 3G roaming and RIM payed the tab, so I'd check my e-mail everywhere anyhow!

Why yes!!! I *am* an IT-journalist!

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
orangeapples said:
best thing to do is go to a university. Most of those in my area have a university WiFi and a guest WiFi. If you're young enough you look like a student. If you're old enough you'll look like a professor.
Really?
I remember being *IN* university (2001-2005) and they had locked the WIFI down to MAC-adress. You'd have to register your laptop, showing student ID, and then they'd note your MAC-adress, granting it access EVERTUALLY....

Downloaded at 12.5 MegaBYTE. Probably fastest at the time (2001!)...

K4RN4GE911

Apr 27, 2010
I've been using wifi on my PS3 for three years running now. It either wasn't password protected, or I got express permission to use it. I get a very great connection and, except for the occasional hiccup, it's completely worth it.

A shame the OS can't run certain websites.

Also, I saw Matt stealing internet for MLP coming before Matt even showed up.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Tharwen said:
Darth_Payn said:
Oh, you're so baaaad *Giggle*

OH GOD I WANT YOU SO MUCH TAKE ME NOW
Tharwen?! Its been a while! How are you?

OT: I had a good laugh watching this, but you guys forgot about the library...

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
Kenjitsuka said:
orangeapples said:
Really?
I remember being *IN* university (2001-2005) and they had locked the WIFI down to MAC-adress. You'd have to register your laptop, showing student ID, and then they'd note your MAC-adress, granting it access EVERTUALLY....

Downloaded at 12.5 MegaBYTE. Probably fastest at the time (2001!)...
I think it varies depending on the Universities policy. My university is similar to his in that it has a guest access. The only problem is that it kicks you off every hour, but if you are lucky enough to be a alumni from said university your account exists forever so long as you use it at least once every 6 months. I'm also fairly sure that the public are free to set up an account as well (similar to a public library). You also only have to log in once every 90 days, and its a simple username/password you can use from any computer. No registering computers and all that mess you described.

The speed is fairly nice as well, especially in the summer when its no where near peak capacity. Easy 2-3 megabyte download speed when downloading through Steam/ 20-40 Mbps theoretical according to Speedtest.

OT: I was amused as I watched this video while donating plasma taking Wi-Fi from a nearby coffee shop. The plasma clinic has free Wi-Fi as well but its a pain in the ass to log into. It is suppose to re-direct you to a log in page when you open up a browser, but it only works like 1/10 times I go there. So I found plenty of free Wi-fi where I live to the point where I can be picky about it.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
Ah, the perks of not needing wireless internet. I don't own a laptop or smartphone, since I have no need for either, and my computer is connected to a wire-based network.

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
This could be useful. I will think of this video when I go out to the big city.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Or you go near my parents house
Yes, it is in the middle of nowhere
Yes, you would be seen clearly
But if you tell them you are lost and your best friend just was mauled by the bear in front of you, you might even get a big cup of cocoa.. after explaining where exactly you found bear here, since even foxes are rare
Next you will get 10 seconds before my dad releases dogs
So a win-win-win situation
High-speed wi-fi+cocoa+physical exercise :D

captcha: good morning
It's midnight here, so no, just no.