LoadingReadyRun: How to Find Free Wifi

Shynobee

Apr 16, 2009
Apple should be paying you guys for this video. That was a lot of product placement.

Also, funny stuff as always.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Orcboyphil said:
Wait you can torrent on an iPad?
Not normally I don't think. You'd probably have to Jailbreak it to start with. I don't really know but it's not something I've ever looked into on my iPad.

OT: Great video! I hope this becomes a thing!

seangrafton

May 2, 2011
It's ironic that I'm on my own home network and THIS is the video that decides it's going to take 4 hours to load. First time that's happened in a WHILE.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Surprised we didn't see the pringles cantenna version of stealing someone's unsecured network. I like the "drive slowly around the block" version the best. Though, having did that with friends to another friend, he soon realized what was up and shut it off, inexplicably while it was at about 98% done downloading. Great laughter was had at the downloader's expense.

DVS BSTrD said:
You guys certainly have managed to get kicked out of a lot of places. I'd say you have impressive Banned width.
Wow. That one's actually really good. Have yourself a beer for your efforts on this one.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lol, how ironic. just yesterday my connection just stopped working, is still not working today and im using my wifes laptop and the WIFI connection from her brothers unit above us.

just have to wait for the technician today to fix my connection.

Bors Mistral

Mar 27, 2009
Guys, great episode but unless they are actually paying you for ad time could you possibly lose the frigging apples or at least greatly reduce the amount of them?

edited: to appease the typo nazis

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Convention Centers usually have at least one free hotspot, but only when major events are going on. The password is usually the SSID or just ask someone.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Great video guys. I hope we got more educational videos in the future.

scw55 said:
Public Wi-Fi IS a lie.

I went to many hotspots last year to get event Pokemon on PKMN Diamond and my DS refused to connect :(

I had no form of WiFi elsewhere.
DS are very picky with what networks they will connect to. Only ones with a particular type of security (WEP I think) can be used for games. This didn't use to be a problem, but it's not an incredibly secure encryption and there are better options, so no-body uses it any more. When I first got Diamond I could connect to the WI-FI at McDonalds, but not now. I use to have my home network set so I could get those Pokemon events, but Windows 7 won't automatically connect to WEP networks because of how weak they are that they pose a security risk to your computer, so I just gave up.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Rainboq said:
Tharwen?! Its been a while! How are you?
O hai Rain. I mostly lurk now...

Sometimes I reappear to make sexual advances on strangers though.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
orangeapples said:
best thing to do is go to a university. Most of those in my area have a university WiFi and a guest WiFi. If you're young enough you look like a student. If you're old enough you'll look like a professor.
I was about to mention college campuses but you covered all the bases lol :]

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Lizardon said:
Great video guys. I hope we got more educational videos in the future.

scw55 said:
Public Wi-Fi IS a lie.

I went to many hotspots last year to get event Pokemon on PKMN Diamond and my DS refused to connect :(

I had no form of WiFi elsewhere.
DS are very picky with what networks they will connect to. Only ones with a particular type of security (WEP I think) can be used for games. This didn't use to be a problem, but it's not an incredibly secure encryption and there are better options, so no-body uses it any more. When I first got Diamond I could connect to the WI-FI at McDonalds, but not now. I use to have my home network set so I could get those Pokemon events, but Windows 7 won't automatically connect to WEP networks because of how weak they are that they pose a security risk to your computer, so I just gave up.
The old DS consoles were a pain like that. Thankfully the 3DS introduced WPA and WEP compatibility!

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
TimeLord said:
The old DS consoles were a pain like that. Thankfully the 3DS introduced WPA and WEP compatibility!
I was really happy when I learnt of this. Then frustrated when Pokemon Black and White, and now Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 were released on the DS. So even though you can play them on the 3DS you can't use any of the online features (trading, battling, event Pokemon) without a WEP network. Pokemon is the only DS/3DS games I have interest in the online component so this is really annoying.

I guess I'll just have to wait for the inevitable 3DS Pokemon game.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Lizardon said:
TimeLord said:
I was really happy when I learnt of this. Then frustrated when Pokemon Black and White, and now Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 were released on the DS. So even though you can play them on the 3DS you can't use any of the online features (trading, battling, event Pokemon) without a WEP network. Pokemon is the only DS/3DS games I have interest in the online component so this is really annoying.

Ummm... I don't know how your going about it but I can play online battles and do the WiFi events and stuff using both WPA and WEP routers on my 3DS playing Pokemon White

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
TimeLord said:
Lizardon said:
TimeLord said:

Ummm... I don't know how your going about it but I can play online battles and do the WiFi events and stuff using both WPA and WEP routers on my 3DS playing Pokemon White
Wow I feel stupid. Yeah you're totally right. The games are apparently "DSi Enhanced" which means they do have the WPA support. And here I've been bitching about that since Black and White came out. Guess that's my fault for not doing my research. Thanks for the correction.

Trisha Lynn

Jan 13, 2010
Bors Mistral said:
Guys, great episode but unless they are actually paying you for ad time could you possibly lose (ed. fixed that for you) the frigging apples or at least greatly reduce the amount of them?
I'm sure that once any one of them gets a non-Apple unit as their personal devices, they'll be happy to do so. Or if they can find a shell of a non-Apple device to use as a prop. Or are you going to buy them one?

Because of the xkcd strip about cantennas, we made sure that we had the Internet installed into our new apartment before we moved into it. Having continuous service when moving from one apartment to another is always worth the extra expense.

tamaness

Sep 24, 2009
Interesting story about FreePublicWiFi.

Because of the way that Windows XP and Windows 2000 implemented Ad-Hoc networks, your computer would broadcast for any ad-hoc network it had connected to in the past; If you'd tried to connect to FreePublicWiFi, your computer would essentially become a hotspot for the same network. It's basically the computer version of the common cold. Unfortunately, Microsoft fixed the behavior of ad-hoc wireless networking in Windows Vista and 7, and as such they no longer rebroadcast ad-hoc network names.

Wardriving's easier if you do two or three things:

1) use some software that's GPS-compatible to log the position of wireless networks you find. I like InSSIDer, but your mileage may vary.
2) use a small GPS-connected laptop (all you need are a serial or USB GPS antenna; I use a Garmin eTrex Legend, its serial cable, and a USB-to-serial adapter).
3) put this whole arrangement into a bag or backpack and ride/drive a vehicle that you can get away with going slowly on. Bicycles and low-powered scooters (on the 50cc range) are great for this, because people expect you to be slow.

This will enable you to find a myriad of fun network names, find badly-secured (WEP) or unsecured networks, and have a log of where they are.

Bors Mistral said:
Guys, great episode but unless they are actually paying you for ad time could you possibly lose the frigging apples or at least greatly reduce the amount of them?

edited: to appease the typo nazis
The crew actually (almost) all use Apple products as their primary computing devices. It's not product placement so much as it is "illustrating the point with what we have on-hand."

What's the problem with so many apple devices? Do you feel that someone else's personal choice of computing/media platforms is detrimental to your enjoyment of the content they produce?