LoadingReadyRun: The Bitcoin Conspiracy

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
The Bitcoin Conspiracy

He's back, he's mobile, and you need to hear what he has to say.

Watch Video

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Stinger was brilliant.

Also, I have a feeling, if LRR is ever going to make another rapidfire before closing their weekly sketches, Conspiracy Guys will be staring in at least one episode.

Jan 12, 2012
Yossarian1507 said:
Stinger was brilliant.

Also, I have a feeling, if LRR is ever going to make another rapidfire before closing their weekly sketches, Conspiracy Guys will be staring in at least one episode.
I miss them, and the foreign mercenaries.

OT: Look out, that Street Shark's bugged! It was bought using Bitcoins!

Captcha: Shilly-Shally. Apparently it was written by Sean Connery.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Silly conspiracy theorists, why would we British hide our Bitcoins in space where anyone can get ahold of them?

They're hidden behind Big Ben, where Sherlock Holmes occasionally looks after them.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Errm.... I think that was some kind of youtube trailer for the website, but it sounds like you guys got the right video.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
So, when he started the sign-off with "until next time...." did anyone else expect to follow up to be "...there may be better sources for news but they don't have this hat"?

Synthetica

Jul 10, 2013
That's not how it works guys... See, you can't actually "put bitcoins on a harddrive". When you buy bitcoins, all you do is make someone else sign something that says you get more bitcoins, and you notify the bitcoin network of this. It's a bit more complex, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx9zgZCMqXE is a good explanation.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Avaholic03 said:
So, when he started the sign-off with "until next time...." did anyone else expect to follow up to be "...there may be better sources for news but they don't have this hat"?
It would have been pretty bad, but almost.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
Brilliant, as always.
Also, I know the stuff about our gold[footnote]I'm Norwegian[/footnote] is right[footnote]Fairly certain they gave it all back, though[/footnote], so logically speaking, the rest must be true too...

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
008Zulu said:
Oh Graham, perhaps a few complimentary Bitcoins will cause you to give up this foolish crusade hmm?
A few Bitcoins could buy him a new van. The value right now is $850 per coin.

I hope conspiracy theories about Nakamoto are true (not this one per se, I just think it'd be pretty entertaining).

The Random One

May 29, 2008
That's better than my plan to buy teen idol memorabilia in hopes that they'll die early.

Avaholic03 said:
"There may be better sources for hacks, but they don't have this shark."

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
TheEvilCheese said:
008Zulu said:
Oh Graham, perhaps a few complimentary Bitcoins will cause you to give up this foolish crusade hmm?
A few Bitcoins could buy him a new van. The value right now is $850 per coin.

I hope conspiracy theories about Nakamoto are true (not this one per se, I just think it'd be pretty entertaining).
(Shrugs) The problem here is there isn't a lot of room for conspiracy theories, since Bitcoins are pretty straightforward when you get down to it. The basic idea is backing a currency with donated computer power (a service) as opposed to something physical like gold. As a basic idea it's easy to see how it got started. That said the specialized rigs needed to put out Bitcoins and the ongoing race with them means that this is unlikely to be anything that will last for the long term. It's more of a business scam that is going to favor those involved from the beginning, the bubble will inevitably burst, and a few people are going to make a bundle off of it, while a lot of people are left with a bunch of highly specialized computers which will be totally worthless especially once the consortium that is leasing out the shared computing power is no longer trading.

Really, who Nakamoto is, if he exists or is a mask for someone else, and related questions are all more or less irrelevant. I pretty much figure when the Winklevoss twins (the guys who fought Zuckerberg over Facebook) get involved and say something is a good idea, you need to be wary, in general a "good idea" is usually something that tends to only wind up benefitting them and a few of their closest associates.

If I had to guess, the closest thing to a conspiracy theory I'd promote here is that Nakamoto is a construct of the consortium pulling the strings and creating/verifying the currency. That was when there are problems down the road they can point fingers at a non-existent figurehead while the guys at the top continue to float down safely on their golden parachutes. With high end schemes and scams getting more attention there is an increased demand for the authorities to bring someone to justice to show that something was done. In this case they might have created a "phantom scapegoat" which everyone can point to, and amazingly claim "hey we were all scammed too, I have no idea who that was...". Basically the corporate equivalent of the "average six foot black man" (ie if your going to lie about a crime being committed you claim a black guy with dark hair and eyes and of average height and build did it... nothing racial intended, it's just a suspect that is impossible to find based off of that description and nothing else, yet described and reported as accurately as most average people would... it increases the chance of the crime not being "solved" (because it never happened) without anyone realizing you lied... which is what you want in such a case).

aelreth

Dec 26, 2012
Since Great Britain, Gold and money were involved. Why weren't the Rothchilds thrown in?

I was under the impression that Great Britain shipped all her Gold to the US.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
That's right Americans and Canadians, we're coming for your cold hard cash! We'll also take your Street Sharks too. Into space.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
Proverbial Jon said:
That's right Americans and Canadians, we're coming for your cold hard cash! We'll also take your Street Sharks too. Into space.
You... You still love us Norwegians, right? I mean, we DID give you all that gold... And uh, the christmastree for your capitol every year? I think we deserve to go to space too, and be rich and watch Street Sharks.