LoadingReadyRun: Ways to Prepare for PAX

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Also, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that "those" are a prop and not actually are Kathleen's.
Also, you gotta love Kate in this one.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Pariah164 said:
What Ferris Bueller tribute? Bear in mind I love that movie, but I'm also sick and can't think very well.
Where Paul was looking at the map and it kept zooming in between them, refrencing the Ferris scene where Cameron did the same thing looking at art in the museum

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I have no doubt whatsoever that Wil Wheaton does stand like that at all times.

SachielOne said:
Rassmusseum said:
I wanna know what was with the Omeganaut joke. Was that a photo of Susan?
This should help explain the Omeganauts joke: http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/404/Mercenary-Solutions
I won't complain that you linked to one of my most favourite LRR videos ever ever ever, but... I still don't get the joke. Who are the Omeganauts and who is that person in the glossy B&W office-sized picture?

(I wonder if people who develop/print film call the police every time someone asks for a glossy B&W office-sized headshot. Why would you ever need that if not to ask for an assassination?)

PayneTrayne

Filled with ReLRRgious fervor.
Dec 17, 2009
The Random One said:
I have no doubt whatsoever that Wil Wheaton does stand like that at all times.

SachielOne said:
Rassmusseum said:
This should help explain the Omeganauts joke: http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/404/Mercenary-Solutions
I won't complain that you linked to one of my most favourite LRR videos ever ever ever, but... I still don't get the joke. Who are the Omeganauts and who is that person in the glossy B&W office-sized picture?

(I wonder if people who develop/print film call the police every time someone asks for a glossy B&W office-sized headshot. Why would you ever need that if not to ask for an assassination?)
Omeganauts are people chosen at random by Gabe and Tycho to compete for....something? I don't know, I think there's a prize at the end. They play a bunch of games throughout the PAX weekend which ends at the closing ceremonies.

I'm going to guess that the photo was off the LRR forum regular who got the call to be an omeganaut.

EDIT: It is.

Magnax

Nov 19, 2009
I wasn't sure how you were going to work a Sam Raimi into this one, but that stinger was well done.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
MowDownJoe said:
Darth_Payn said:
SnootyEnglishman said:
Ah The Sam Raimi welcome back, the henchmen have missed you.
I haven't seen EVERY episode of LRR, so what's the Sam Raimi thing a cllback to? Yes , I know Sam Raimi the movie director, it just feels like I'm missing part of the joke.
It's a common little joke they've done whenever there's "X ways to do Y" episode.

Rassmusseum

Oct 11, 2010
SachielOne said:
Rassmusseum said:

Also, Pizza Zone makes some pretty decent pizza.
I got the mercenaries reference; I believe there's a more recent video of Alex and Kathleen as them here on the Escapist as well. I just don't know what an Omeganaut is because I'm unfamiliar with PAX.

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
Rassmusseum said:
I just don't know what an Omeganaut is because I'm unfamiliar with PAX.
The Omeganauts are a group people randomly selected to compete in the Omegathon. The identity of the person in the picture is not relevant to the joke.

From the PA Wiki:
"Omegathon is a biannual tournament set in the Penny Arcade Expo. Twenty pre-registered combatants enter the ring and attempt to claim the title of Omegathon Champion and take home the grand prize."

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
SachielOne said:
Rassmusseum said:
I just don't know what an Omeganaut is because I'm unfamiliar with PAX.
The Omeganauts are a group people randomly selected to compete in the Omegathon. The identity of the person in the picture is not relevant to the joke.
Heeey, I'm relevant...

But yeah, as pointed out above, I'd talked on the LRR forums about being in the Omegathon this year, so they asked me to send a pic for the 'target'. It's more of an in-bit for the PAX-going part of the LRR fanbase, and isn't super-important.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
You guys know Wil Wheaton?? Whoa. He looks so much like Graham, it's uncanny!

Also, do the multi-Pauls have to buy separate tickets?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
CardinalPiggles said:
Kathleen makes an awesome mercenary!

Also, surely holding your pee would actually cause more problems?
bowel cancer, everything gives you cancer now

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
That sequence with Paul had me in stitches- and also was driving me nuts because it seemed to familiar!!
Thanks to the comments folks, I know what it was referencing... My God, you LRR guys are good....

I haven't laughed so much in a while, and I love your stuff, but this one was something truly special!
Maybe it was seeing Kate fangirl out, or the lovable psychos of Mercenary Solutions after so long...

I loved it all! :D Great job guys! Nearly died at the stinger too

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
MowDownJoe said:
Darth_Payn said:
SnootyEnglishman said:
Ah The Sam Raimi welcome back, the henchmen have missed you.
I haven't seen EVERY episode of LRR, so what's the Sam Raimi thing a cllback to? Yes , I know Sam Raimi the movie director, it just feels like I'm missing part of the joke.
Basically, every time they do one of these X Ways to Y skits, they always wrap up with a shot they call "The Sam Raimi", which is a shout-out to Sam Raimi's tendancy to have first-person shots from the perspective of some random projectile (at least, that's what Wikipedia says [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Raimi#Recurring_trademarks.2C_motifs.2C_and_partners]).
Sam Raimi has used a first person perspecive shot in a great number of his movies. The evil spirit of the forest in Evil Dead 1-3. Crossbow bolt and spear head in Army of Darkness. He pioneered a cheap "steady cam" idea in which a camera was mounted to a heavy railroad tie and carried by two people at running pace through the woods. The weight of the heavy timber made the motion "zoomy smooth". He put a camera on the end of a long pole ("ram cam") and rammed it through two car windows (1973 Oldsmobile--"the classic") in Evil Dead 2. Without high dollar equipment, he panned by putting vasoline on boards and sliding the camera sideways.

So, he gets credited as being a lover of low budget, never-before-seen shots that nobody else tried because they didn't have the expensive equipment to pull it off. His first real movie was Evil Dead, which was made for about $65,000 I think. You can read all about it in Bruce Campbell's book "If Chins Could Kill."

darkbshadow

Nov 9, 2006
Woah you guys have way too many dice. Now don't get me wrong I've owned about that many throughout my dnd carrer, however my dice have the habit of flying out the windows when they roll double 1's.

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
darkbshadow said:
Woah you guys have way too many dice. Now don't get me wrong I've owned about that many throughout my dnd carrer, however my dice have the habit of flying out the windows when they roll double 1's.
Rule one of Dungeons and Dragons: You can never have too many dice.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Graham_LRR said:
Ways to Prepare for PAX

The LRR crew gives you some helpful pointers to surviving PAX.

Watch Video
DJShire said:
*generic creepy comment about Kathleens panties*
Dude, who cares about the underwear Kathleen packed Munchkin! LRR, you people are officially the coolest people ever.