Local delicacy

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Its not that its hard to find anywhere else, but iron city beer and pierogies are almost official Pittsburgh City cuisine where you're weird if you dont like them but still call yourself a true pittsburgher.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Mrrrgggrlllrrrg said:
Wisconsin

We have some of the best food in the midwest. We even have kangaroos for meat. Eat it Minnesota.

But seriously we have almost everything, borshch, pies, schnitzel, blood sausage, even kim-tooamazingforwords-chi. Look hard enough and you can probably find any food your heart could possibly dream of.
Really, you didn't even mention cheese once? What kind of cheeshead are you?

New Jersey is either disco fries, "Texas wieners" (hot dogs with a Greek chili sauce), or Taylor ham.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
LobsterFeng said:
Fry Sauce [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fry_sauce]

The only problem is that it's not impossible to find. All you need to do is combine ketchup and mayonnaise.
Well, that's something I never expected to get ninja'd on. Nowhere but Utah has fry sauce, and believe me, I've visited enough of the continental US to try finding it elsewhere, you just get funny looks from people.

JFrog84

Jan 13, 2011
Sonicron said:
(I'm not actually Scandinavian, but what the hell. :p)
I'd heard you guys had a local variation of labskaus. So, it's called, 'scouse', eh? Even sounds almost the same as the original term.
I'll make a mental note to add some curry powder the next time I have this dish, sounds like quite an interesting combination of flavours. You should try it with an egg on top, it's really good; the fish isn't really necessary, but even though I'm not usually a fan of its sour flavour, it blends quite well with the main dish.
I'll have to try the egg it sounds great, not sure about the fish though I'm not a big fish eater.

During the war and the rationing that followed some people would have 'blind' scouse, meaning theres no meat in it. Not quite sure why they chose the word blind but it's still used today for any dish that normally contains meat.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
LobsterFeng said:
Fry Sauce [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fry_sauce]

The only problem is that it's not impossible to find. All you need to do is combine ketchup and mayonnaise.
FFFFFFFFF-Ninja'd.

On a more personal note, you live in Utah, bro? There aren't really many of us Escapists here from what I've seen. They're all from Canada, apparently. >_>

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Scotland hmm, think of a food and fry it in batter. You now have a Scottish delicacy!

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Harvested a load of apples from our tree in the garden on Saturday & pressed them down to make cider. It's currently bubbling away in the cupboard under the stairs, so I suppose that. Also there are a few blackberries in the countryside.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Jadak said:
Redlin5 said:
For me, Saskatoon Berries. Delicious pies, crumbles or just eaten on their own. Makes for good jam too!
Sorry, but Saskatoon Berries are not even close to actually being local to saskatoon :p Can't comment on what you do with them as I've never tried, but the berries themselves are rather common everywhere west of you.
Sssssssssh!!!!

It's all we have V.V

the spud

May 2, 2011
Kakulukia said:
the spud said:
It's pretty easy to find horse meat here. Seriously, it is illegal and all, but it is very easy to find some in the underground market in west TN.
Horse meat? Illegal? What the hell? You can find it in almost any grocery store over here.
Well, it isn't illegal to eat, but it is illegal to sell. Also, where do you live? That may have something to do with its legal status.

Deneb

Oct 8, 2011
Rocky Mountain Oysters I guess, I have never had them personally but they're supposed to be pretty good. I just can't force myself past the whole mental aspect of what they are to actually ingest them.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
the spud said:
Kakulukia said:
the spud said:
It's pretty easy to find horse meat here. Seriously, it is illegal and all, but it is very easy to find some in the underground market in west TN.
Horse meat? Illegal? What the hell? You can find it in almost any grocery store over here.
Well, it isn't illegal to eat, but it is illegal to sell. Also, where do you live? That may have something to do with its legal status.
Quebec. According to the last guy who quoted me, it's the only place in North America where you can find it that easily.
You guys are so missing out... :p

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
TLS14 said:
FFFFFFFFF-Ninja'd.

On a more personal note, you live in Utah, bro? There aren't really many of us Escapists here from what I've seen. They're all from Canada, apparently. >_>
Fayathon said:
Well, that's something I never expected to get ninja'd on. Nowhere but Utah has fry sauce, and believe me, I've visited enough of the continental US to try finding it elsewhere, you just get funny looks from people.
Well that's weird, I seriously thought I was the only Utahn round these parts.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
LobsterFeng said:
TLS14 said:
FFFFFFFFF-Ninja'd.

Fayathon said:
Well that's weird, I seriously thought I was the only Utahn round these parts.
Funny thing is, Fayathon and I are actually friends in real life. Small world.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
...uhmmm I live in New York you can get anything here but I guess I would say local specialties would be New York style pizza?

Mrrrgggrlllrrrg

Jun 21, 2010
Dags90 said:
Really, you didn't even mention cheese once? What kind of cheeshead are you?
Wisconsin cheese isn't hard to find in other states at least from what I can see so that one is kind of a given.

Burgers aren't burgers without real Wisconsin cheese.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
While I have no idea how rare/difficult to find it outside of Dundee, we have the Dundee Cake! So there's that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundee_cake

Not a fan of it myself if I'm honest.

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
Well, my state is only known for one thing anyway. If you want good crab, you come to Maryland. It's... pretty much all we have going for us. Awesome seafood and Old Bay seasoning.

You can immediately tell who is a local and who isn't when you see someone (try to)crack open a blue crab. It can be pretty funny seeing the reactions of tourists opening their first crab.