Local foods

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
So I was reminded the other day of something called a pasty. Anyone from Michigan, or at least northern Michigan, should probably know what I'm talking about. For those of you who don't, it's kind of like a hot pocket or a chicken pot pie, but gross. It's greasier kind of and the breading is chalky. I hate them.

It's the texture I think? I'm not really sure. I mean I like both hot pockets AND chicken pot pie. I should like them right? Well... I don't and I think it's something subtle I can't quite put my finger on.

I'm usually open minded about giving things a go, but I've never liked them and they didn't grow on me. Yoopers your food is awful and you should feel bad!

Except your fudge, your fudge is inexplicably delicious.

Anyone have any local, or national I guess since we're diverse here, foods they hate/love/find odd?

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
I mainly know about pasties from American Gods, though they're described as being quite delicious. I guess Neil Gaiman liked yoopie cuisine.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Heh, pasties are also quite common here in South West England too, particularly Cornwall traditionally. Apparently coal miners used to take them down the mines since they were easy to carry and didn't get dirty or something, I think they might not have eaten the outside in those days. Anyhow I love them personally, had one today for lunch.

Otherwise for local foods, it's a drink but cider is also a West Country speciality and it's one of my favourite alcohol drinks, so I'm very happy with that. I had real trouble finding it in America when I worked there, mainly only in speciality Irish pubs and such, I feel sorry for you guys ;-)

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010

On a serious note...

To hell with Kimchi.

Taste nasty, smells nasty, and makes people who eat it smell nasty. The bane of my existence while I was in Korea.

EDIT: Also, I too like pasties. Both kinds.

Bruenin

Nov 9, 2011
I live on the eastern shore of America so that means Scrapple, scrapple everywhere.

It's made entirely from meat scraps and some starches. It's cooked on a frying pan and then used as a replacement for sausage on sandwiches or just eaten as an extra meat on the breakfast plate.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
TakerFoxx said:
I mainly know about pasties from American Gods, though they're described as being quite delicious. I guess Neil Gaiman liked yoopie cuisine.
Pasties originated in the UK and are widely available here.
Bruenin said:
I live on the eastern shore of America so that means Scrapple, scrapple everywhere.

It's made entirely from meat scraps and some starches. It's cooked on a frying pan and then used as a replacement for sausage on sandwiches or just eaten as an extra meat on the breakfast plate.
Thats white pudding, again its widely available here.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
albino boo said:
Pasties originated in the UK and are widely available here.
Bruenin said:
Yeah, but in the book they're described as being a yoopie thing, even going so far as to explain where the term yoopie came from (Upper Peninsula, literally UP), and since a good chunk of the book is inspired by his travels across the US, it can be presumed that that's how he came across them.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
albino boo said:
Bruenin said:

Thats white pudding, again its widely available here.
No, that's scrapple, which my family (Maryland and Pennsylvania) eat by the ton and make at home.

You'd be forgiven for making that mistake though, as their basically the same thing. The big difference is that white pudding is made of junk pig meat, while scrabble is made of junk parts of the pig that could only be called meat by someone who's never actually had a proper cut of pork.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I already posted this image elsewhere, but I live in Argentina and make empanadas (mostly of the sweet kind though) frequently. These are from the last time I made them:

Also this kind of cake. You dip chocolate cookies in coffee, stack them up and use a mix of cream cheese and dulce de leche to make them stick. We call it... la chocotorta.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
TakerFoxx said:
Yeah, but in the book they're described as being a yoopie thing, even going so far as to explain where the term yoopie came from (Upper Peninsula, literally UP), and since a good chunk of the book is inspired by his travels across the US, it can be presumed that that's how he came across them.
Small but rather important point Gaiman spent the first half of his life in the UK. He only moved to the US in 1992 when he was 32

AccursedTheory said:
No, that's scrapple, which my family (Maryland and Pennsylvania) eat by the ton and make at home.

You'd be forgiven for making that mistake though, as their basically the same thing. The big difference is that white pudding is made of junk pig meat, while scrabble is made of junk parts of the pig that could only be called meat by someone who's never actually had a proper cut of pork.
In that case its Haslet.

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
I'm from Argentina and one of my favourites is this:

It's called locro. Very tasty hominy stew made with paprika :)

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Bruenin said:
Really? I haven't really seen it outside of the Philly/Pennsylvania Dutch[footnote]That's the proper, High Dutch. Not the "low Dutch" from the Netherregions[/footnote].

Well, being from Philly, there's the obvious Cheesesteak, Hoagie, and Tastykake but also Snapper Soup.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Yeah, pretty much what everyone else has said. You don't tend to get them quite as far north as Bristol (at least good ones), but having spent most of my childhood holidays in Cornwall I can happily tell you that pasties are quite possibly the greatest food in all creation.

I guess it's not originally local, but Bristol has some really quality Caribbean foods, it's all pretty good. There's not really much local food that you don't get in other parts of England, but Somerset has some fucking good cider.

bbchain

May 6, 2013
I'm from South Carolina so naturally everything is fried. I've never seen them anywhere else so i assume they're local but fried green tomatoes and fried pickles make me wretch.

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
In Wales we got

These usually have sultanas or raisins in but I prefer mine without.

This is a broth and I often have this at my local rugby club when watching the six nations. Best served with bread and cheese.

This stuff, I do not like. It's boiled seaweed. Ew...

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
In New York we have all the good foods from the rest of the world and none of the bad ones.
The only downside is that it's expensive.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
JoJo said:
Heh, pasties are also quite common here in South West England too, particularly Cornwall traditionally(...)
Aren't "pasties" people who don't see much sunlight? :/

T0ad 0f Truth said:
A lot of English food is total ass, but I'll say this: the butchers are good, very good. You want good meat, you go to Morrison's.

*Smacks lips* Mmmmm-mmm!

The same can be said for Scottish, Welsh and probably Irish food as well, but the puddings are lovely. I mean, even the word is great; just look at it: pudding. Puuuddiiiiing.

[HEADING=2]Pudding.[/HEADING] Trifles, jam roly-poly, bread and butter pudding, sticky toffee pudding...oh my. You can imagine why so many people here look like they're built to withstand a nuclear f*cking blast.

Argh, there was a brand of pie-makers in the US that made amazing chicken and vegetable pies. I used to LOVE eating them in China. Pizza pockets, too. Any ideas, T0ad?

This is one you can get as a dessert in a lot of Indian restaurants here:

They're very sweet, spongy dumplings in a treacly syrup, delicious on their own or with yoghurt, raisins or tapioca. They also make a particularly keen companion to ice cream and coffee.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I can only assume that the USA has a ruined version of the pasty. That description doesn't match the (good) ones I've had, which have usually been awesome.

Able Seacat said:
In Wales we got

These usually have sultanas or raisins in but I prefer mine without.
Yes. Delicious.