Logan - X-Men's Dark Knight

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, I got back from seeing this in the cinemas. It's the best X-Men film I've seen, but that's a pretty low bar, and I haven't seen that many either. I also wouldn't call it "X-Men's Dark Knight" - oh, sure, it does have analogies to issues such as refugees, mechanization, 'future soldiers', and international boundaries, but that's just it - analogies. Granted, The Dark Knight was analogy as well, but a far more satisfying one.

Still, like I said, Logan is "good" on its own merits, certainly better than anything the MCU has produced, and certainly the type of movie the MCU would never produce. I will say that it's Laura/X-23 who steals the show, but Stewart and Jackman are in top form as well.

So, you dun good Fox, ya dun good.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't know enough words to praise this film. It's not a super hero movie that is made to be fun and exciting. It's a brutal and tragic drama. It's freakin' fantastic and everyone should see it.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Went to see Logan and holy crap ... what a ride. Not in the excitement / action-y sense but the emotional side of life was very present in this film. Everything was incredible, and the character interactions were very personal but realistic in my eyes.

Loved it. An easy 8.5 / 10 and got me to tear up ... a superhero movie got me emotional. Easily my top 10 favorite movies now.
Agreed. I'd honestly consider it to be more of a character drama with bursts of intense violence peppered throughout.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I actually enjoyed it, and I have no real investment in the X-men franchise. Never did, even as a kid.
I liked this a lot though.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Saelune said:
Iron Man shouldnt have been a villain then.
Kenbo Slice said:
He really was not. The movie was a bit complex and fun though there was plenty wrong... (still bought the 3D bluray. Better with pizza and beer) I liked one review that stated if you came out of it thinking you had concluded who was wrong... you were the one that was wrong.

I can sympathize with Xavier, but at one point, he could have killed all humanity with a thought (Xmen 2 and maybe the spectacular "Legion" series). That OK to un government monitor? But do we license people to simply live with their biological features? Not easy to answer.

On topic: I see Logan tomorrow with a buddy (at a theater so Pizza and Beer have to wait till after. We see it at 9:30 AM) Loved Movie Bob's take on it: he hates Jackman's take on the character and loves the swan song! He's so confused by that! I like Jackman's Logan. Mixed bag initially for visual reasons. I see the character as Charles Bronson not pretty. Young Jackman? Pretty. Now? Grizzled enough for me to buy him.

EDIT: Saw it, really liked it a lot.

trying to not spoil it too much but, Movie Bob made it sound like one non-stop depression inducing movie. It isn't.

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
Gorfias said:
Saelune said:
Iron Man shouldnt have been a villain then.
Kenbo Slice said:
He really was not. The movie was a bit complex and fun though there was plenty wrong... (still bought the 3D bluray. Better with pizza and beer) I liked one review that stated if you came out of it thinking you had concluded who was wrong... you were the one that was wrong.

I can sympathize with Xavier, but at one point, he could have killed all humanity with a thought (Xmen 2 and maybe the spectacular "Legion" series). That OK to un government monitor? But do we license people to simply live with their biological features? Not easy to answer.

On topic: I see Logan tomorrow with a buddy (at a theater so Pizza and Beer have to wait till after. We see it at 9:30 AM) Loved Movie Bob's take on it: he hates Jackman's take on the character and loves the swan song! He's so confused by that! I like Jackman's Logan. Mixed bag initially for visual reasons. I see the character as Charles Bronson not pretty. Young Jackman? Pretty. Now? Grizzled enough for me to buy him.

EDIT: Saw it, really liked it a lot.

trying to not spoil it too much but, Movie Bob made it sound like one non-stop depression inducing movie. It isn't.
Sacking Movebob was the best move The Escapist ever made. That guy has issues, and towards the end they overcame his ability to sometimes be entertaining and on-point.

Anyway, I enjoyed the movie, too. It was depressing, sure, but hope was the theme, reinforced very nicely by the third act. If I have any serious criticism of the move, it's the shallow political commentary.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
90sgamer said:
Anyway, I enjoyed the movie, too. It was depressing, sure, but hope was the theme, reinforced very nicely by the third act. If I have any serious criticism of the move, it's the shallow political commentary.
Wonder if it is still too soon to not have to use spoiler warning! Ah me. For now,

what sort of political commentary? For myself, I think the mutants as, say, homosexuals, is imperfect. A homosexual cannot cause every person's head in a 3 mile radius to spontaneously explode. Xavier may have done just that (something he laments just before Weapon 24 kills him... and his death took to long. Stab me 3 times at the center of my chest with 10" blades and I will not engage in a moving speech afterwords). There is also the heavy handed quasi capitalist/government/military bad guys. They're literally chasing children to their deaths and I'm asking myself, is there a cop around? Looks a teeny bit illegal!.