Logitech Ditches Consoles for iPads

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
The reason they're not making too much money is because the stuff they make never break, so no one ever replaces anything. I have a MX518 mouse (best mouse ever made) from 2005, and it still works flawlessly. Not a single fault, other than the fact that the bottom is worn down so much it's polished into a mirror sheen. I also have a dual action gamepad from the same era that has endured heavy use; still performing as if new. I don't recall ever having a bad experience with logitech products.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I once had a Logitech mouse. It had 2 buttons. One of the buttons wore out after a few years and I don't use it anymore. That's about the entire extent of my dealings with the company. Needless to say, I don't care much which products they are dropping, hopefully it removes some dead weight.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'd like them to get back on track and actually make drivers for the OS's they supposily support and they don't work. You literally need to go to another site to get their older drivers that they don't host any more to get their gaming mice to work properly on win8.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
The only Logitech peripheral I used was a PS2 controller.
It lasted about 2-3 months before it started malfunctioning. So yeah, they haven't exactly been kind to me.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
FelixG said:
I would be doomed if they stopped making PC gaming peripherals

-looks at his Logitech gaming keyboard, gaming mouse, gaming headset, and surround sound system-
Add to that the G13 gamepad and you've got my list too.

On top of the overall exceptional quality of the hardware, one of the nicer features is that the drivers for these devices all function together through Logitech's gaming software. It's one uniform UI to deal with all these devices, and not the ramshackle mess of separate systems that other peripheral makers give you.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
I've never regretted my purchase of the MX518. After my G7 died and I migrated off my laptop, bought a G5, the cable got fucked after a couple of years, bought a MX518, and it's still going strong close to 4 years later despite a fair bit of abuse going its way. And great value too, only $30 or so.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Logitech made console peripherals? I was under the impression that they made nothing but mice, keyboards, and speakers.
I thought only MadCatz (Awful) Nyko (Pretty good) and GameStop (Never tried) did that.
The fact that I've never seen a Logictech console peripheral is probably a good indicator as to why they didn't turn a profit.

Killclaw Kilrathi

Crocuta Crocuta
Dec 28, 2010
Denamic said:
The reason they're not making too much money is because the stuff they make never break, so no one ever replaces anything.
You obviously haven't tried their range of USB headsets, I don't think I've had a single set from them that lasted more than three months before the wiring started to go. Even my Razer headset has lasted longer, which is pretty embarrassing considering how dodgy that company is.

On the other hand, I'm typing on a G510 and using a G600 mouse which are both serving me well.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Denamic said:
The reason they're not making too much money is because the stuff they make never break, so no one ever replaces anything.
I've gone through 3 of their controllers in 6 years, 1 on account of defects. It's hit-or-miss.

And we really shouldn't be encouraging them to lower quality or introduce any sort of "planned obsolescence".
I put up enough with enough of that shit already.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
The Crotch said:
So long as they keep making the G500 mouse, they've got me as a customer.
Yes, we need more of those. I already have one for both of my hands and I'm thinking about using them for feet as well.

Hekler

Nov 13, 2012
Add me to the 'thank Christ I got a G27 pile' (only 2 weeks ago as well!).

The MX518 I got years ago is still going strong, although I gave it to my brother.

I'll probably be getting a G9X mouse to replace my Razer Imperator. While I like the Imperator, it seems to suffer occasional random tracking issues.... it's also not the first Razer product I've had that has had odd problems/malfunctions. So no more Razer for me.

Also, If I didn't have a great Ducky Mechanical keyboard, I'd probably have a Logitech.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
I've thought of Logitech as one of the few companies with enough money and clout to really experiment with their peripherals. It's sad that they'll have to reign it in a little (or a lot). If all I needed in a gaming mouse was two buttons and a scroll wheel I would probably still be using my Logitech wireless ball mouse and giving the finger to optics.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Scars Unseen said:
*shrug* I've never bought any of their console peripherals, and there's nothing they make for PC that someone else doesn't make better. I liked my wireless Trackman well enough back when I bought it, but I've moved on and haven't looked back.
you mean its not like Logitech could do not-overpriced mouses, keyboards and headsets?
or are you one of those people that buys a headset for 500 dollars and then jut throw it away in 6 months when the wire breaks, and then finds some 50 dollar one and didnt even notice a difference till he finds out the price.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
While their original mice range was quite good and their racing wheel/joysticks are decent, pretty much everything else is junky and often overpriced.

Can get far better alternatives elsewhere (and I'm not talking about Razer, their only worthwhile product was the first version of the deathadder mouse)

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Strazdas said:
Scars Unseen said:
*shrug* I've never bought any of their console peripherals, and there's nothing they make for PC that someone else doesn't make better. I liked my wireless Trackman well enough back when I bought it, but I've moved on and haven't looked back.
you mean its not like Logitech could do not-overpriced mouses, keyboards and headsets?
or are you one of those people that buys a headset for 500 dollars and then jut throw it away in 6 months when the wire breaks, and then finds some 50 dollar one and didnt even notice a difference till he finds out the price.
I'm having difficulty finding a connection between what I said and what you said. As far as my personal equipment, I have a Ducky keyboard with Cherry MX browns. Solidly built, and far better to use than my Logitech G15 that preceded it(and the Ducky was slightly cheaper). Takes up a lot less space too(I can fit both my keyboard and trackball on my keyboard tray now)

I'm a trackball user, so when my Logitech Wireless Trackman started to die on me, I spent some extra cash(well my wife did, it was a birthday present) on a L-TracX [http://www.clearlysuperiortech.com/ltracx.html] from Clearly Superior Technologies. Adjustable cpi (up to 3200 cpi), solid as a brick, and the company is confident enough in their product to include disassembly instructions(which does not void your warranty).

And for headphones, I've never used a Logitech headset, but based on reviews, I'd be pretty confident in pitting my Beyerdynamic DT880 Premiums(bought for $225) against anything in Logitech's lineup. They are certainly leaps and bounds better than my previous Sennheiser HD280 Pros(bought for $80).

Sometimes I spend more money, and sometimes I spend less, but I always look for quality(backed by positive professional and user reviews if possible) before I spend. So I guess the answer to your second question is "no," and the answer to the first is "huh?"