Lollipop Chainsaw Aims to Provide A "Fun, Happy" Zombie Experience

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Lollipop Chainsaw Aims to Provide A "Fun, Happy" Zombie Experience

Designer Suda51 says his latest project is all about giving the world its first funtime zombie adventure, complete with "hearts and rainbows."

Lollipop Chainsaw [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112007-Warner-Bros-All-Over-Lollipop-Chainsaw-In-The-West], it seems, aims to misbehave. No more of this macabre, slightly scary horror zombie stuff, says lead designer Goichi "Suda51" Suda; instead, let's have a teenage cheerleader with an accessorized chainsaw mow her delightful way through the undead hordes with a healthful dose of sparkle and fun.

Speaking to IGN UK [http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1199754p1.html], Suda51, head of studio Grasshopper Manufacture, elaborated on his vision for Lollipop Chainsaw. When asked how he'd describe the game, he replied that it's a "zombie-hunting cheerleader who is working to uncover the reason behind a zombie outbreak...armed with a chainsaw."

"A fun, happy zombie game has yet to exist," he continued. "Lollipop Chainsaw is the only zombie game that has hearts and rainbows. It is a game you can enjoy with popcorn! Gritty, realistic zombie games already exist, so there is no need for us to make them. Rainbows are scattered everywhere in Lollipop Chainsaw to highlight the fact that this is a fun, but offbeat game."

One of the game's biggest draws will be Juliet, its scantily-clad cheerleading heroine. "I wanted to give birth to a video game heroine who supersedes past female video game characters, so here Juliet makes her debut!" enthused Suda51.

Given the decidedely surreal tone of much of Grasshopper Manufacture's past work (including titles such as No More Heroes, Killer7 and Shadows of the Damned) it wouldn't have made sense to expect a normal zombie adventure from this particular studio. Still, a cheerleader deterring the apocalypse with chainsaws, rainbows and love? There aren't many other studios which could even hope to pull this off; but since Suda has good form for this brand of weirdness, count me in.

Source: IGN UK [http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1199754p1.html]

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
this sounds like exactly what I had hoped Bikini Zombie Slayers was going to be. I was dissapinted on that one but I'm really looking forward to this.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
You had me at hello.

Do you think adding a unicorn to that would be a bit much or too quirky? Because I'd imagine her riding it as she's killing people with her chainsaw.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah this is most likely going to be a cult game, but I can be wrong due to Catherine being a hit.

Only time will tell.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011

I was disappointed with it...

darthotaku said:
this sounds like exactly what I had hoped Bikini Zombie Slayers was going to be. I was dissapinted on that one but I'm really looking forward to this.
Yep. Suda should add the craziness and lightness of tone that Onechanbara needed.

Sep 13, 2010
oh Suda, I love you so, every time I turn around you have something wonderful and beautiful for us like a bloodstained Santa Claus.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
"One of the game's biggest draws will be Juliet, its scantily-clad cheerleading heroine. "I wanted to give birth to a video game heroine who supersedes past female video game characters, so here Juliet makes her debut!" enthused Suda51."

Supersedes in what way, exactly? Because it doesn't seem to be a positive one.

Not that I'm complaining about Juliet; I don't think games that are trying to be light hearted and silly need to adhere to my standards of character design, but it seems odd to say that Bikini Cheerleader will supersede past female characters.

Anyway. Fun happy zombie slaying will always sit right with me. Sign me up.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
So what I'm getting is that this will be a zombie game, where the main character is a Magical Girl [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicalGirl].

Sounds like fun.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
cursedseishi said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
You had me at hello.

Do you think adding a unicorn to that would be a bit much or too quirky? Because I'd imagine her riding it as she's killing people with her chainsaw.
If they add a unicorn in, I'm going to assume they'll also start advocating the idea of "love and tolerating the shit out of the zombies" to death somewhere as well.
They damn well better not! If they add the unicorn, I demand my zombie murder rampage to be not only awesome but majestic!

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
i always said l4d needed more rainbows lol
also if at the end of this game she dumps the head of her boyfriend for travis touchdown i might die of happiness