Lollipop Chainsaw Ships 700,000 Copies

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Lollipop Chainsaw Ships 700,000 Copies

Lollipop Chainsaw has set a record as Grasshopper Manufacture's best-shipping game ever.

Zero Punctuation [http://www.amazon.com/Lollipop-Chainsaw-Xbox-360/dp/B005J5K9EI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346082525&sr=8-1&keywords=Lollipop+Chainsaw], so take it for what it's worth.) I don't really see the appeal but I seem to be in the minority in that regard, because Grasshopper Manufacture CEO Suda 51 announced at the Lollipop Chainsaw Summer Appreciation Festival this past weekend that it's his most popular game ever.

Worldwide shipments for Lollipop Chainsaw have broken 700,000 units, according to Kadokawa Game CEO Yoshimi Yasuda, which Suda 51 said is the highest shipment figure ever achieved by a Grasshopper game. That's shipped, not sold, but a record is a record, and while 700,000 units shipped doesn't sound like too much to get excited about in this era of Call of Duty and Madden, it was explained to me that this Mr. 51 fellow is rather like a Japanese Tim Schafer: Everyone thinks he's awesome, but his oddball, "cult favorite" games just doesn't sell.

To celebrate the new high-water mark, Suda 51 showed off the first-ever promo trailer for Grasshopper's new project, Killer is Dead, which reportedly showed a man with a cyborg left arm and a katana in his opposite hand engaged in combat. Suda said the game will feature a new hero and "lots of hot girls."

Source: Andriasang [http://andriasang.com/con2du/lollipop_killer/]

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"lots of hot girls."
sexism flame-war in 3-2-1

I bought the game i found it very funny to play. The quicktime events were a bit annoying though. Glad to see more and more people interested in their games (maybe i should pick up no more heroes)

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
To celebrate the new high-water mark, Suda 51 showed off the first-ever promo trailer for Grasshopper's new project, Killer is Dead, which reportedly showed a man with a cyborg left arm and a katana in his opposite hand engaged in combat. Suda said the game will feature a new hero and "lots of hot girls."
Really? Again? Is that all we get now? What happened to the really bizarre abstract game concepts, like doing an adventure game/rail shooter? It seems like everything is a hack and slash from him now.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
zelda2fanboy said:
Andy Chalk said:
Really? Again? Is that all we get now? What happened to the really bizarre abstract game concepts, like doing an adventure game/rail shooter? It seems like everything is a hack and slash from him now.
Well knowing Suda, it's in there somewhere.
Though I would like to see another one of his really odd game.

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
zelda2fanboy said:
Andy Chalk said:

Well I doubt Suda 51 is going to blow his load so early. If I was going to make a truly bizarre game I'd downplay that aspect while promoting others as much as possible so people are surprised.

Nov 28, 2007
This is pretty good news. For a game with as little hype and build-up as Lollipop Chainsaw (seriously, I'd never even heard of the game until there was a review of it on here) to sell that much is a good sign.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Face, meet palm.

Eh, call me elitist but I just don't get the appeal of this game. It has 2 things going for it - skimpy girl and over the top zombie killing. I guess I just matured past the point where this kind of mindless gameplay is fun for more than 10 minutes, and, well, I can't blame guys for being drawn to the "sexiness" factor, but it is a bit pathetic.

...No, I totally didn't download Caliente's nude patch for Skyrim. Not at all.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Wolfram23 said:
Face, meet palm.

Eh, call me elitist but I just don't get the appeal of this game. It has 2 things going for it - skimpy girl and over the top zombie killing. I guess I just matured past the point where this kind of mindless gameplay is fun for more than 10 minutes, and, well, I can't blame guys for being drawn to the "sexiness" factor, but it is a bit pathetic.

For me it just stood out as something a bit different in its style and I wasn't let down it is more bonkers than it first appears and the boss battles are some of the best I have played the generation

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I'm gonna take a wild shot here

Maybe because it's FUN? remember, what the only aim of videogames used to be? Before we had to steep everything in a watery brown grey bucket of realism?

I'm not ANTI realism, but damn, it's a breath of fresh air, a bit like a silly gorefest is a welcome break from slow, moody horror movies.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
well sex sells
it seemed like a over the top entertaining game full of flaws in the gameplay with with lots of style
kinda like no more heros

Wolfram23 said:
right sure you didn't
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuspiciouslySpecificDenial

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Reincarnatedwolfgod said:
well sex sells
it seemed like a over the top entertaining game full of flaws with with lots of style
kinda like no more heros

getoffmycloud said:
right sure you didn't
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuspiciouslySpecificDenial
you quoted the wrong person

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Wait, there's nothing about the game not selling ENOUGH? I mean, it's no surprise that 700k is enough copies, since the game sold at $60 (maybe $40 now) and the production costs probably are not so high for such an unpolished, one-trick-and-screeching-neighs pony of a game.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Wolfram23 said:
Face, meet palm.

Actually, it's got one thing going for it. Which is that its odd mashup Troma style '50s high school aesthetic really does work quite well.

Unfortunately, the core zombie chopping is pretty dull. I mean there's a sequence on one level where you drive a combine harvester through a field of zombies. Process that thought for a second. Combine harvester. Field of zombies. And somehow they have made that a tedious chore. I am not sure how they managed to do this thing, it is a mind boggling achievement to me that they have taken something that should have been automatic fun and made it, well, not fun at all.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
lol well that's good...I guess? guess NMH Heroes' Paradise just needed even more boobs to be published in America :p