London Riots continue

franconbean

Apr 30, 2011
They are making a big deal out of why the police shot the man to death (inquiries, ect). I reckon thats just because the firearms officer who did take the bullet got lucky (it lodged in his radio of all places, would you believe). This is what i heard on Radio 4 at least.

Had he been seriously injured or killed, i doubt there would be so much of that.

edit: I'm talking about the authorities here of course...

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Rioting for the sake of rioting. Idiots coming down to london just because they want to cause trouble. Bet more than half don't even know what the protest was about.

Superbeast

Bound up the dead triumphantly!
Jan 7, 2009
franconbean said:
They are making a big deal out of why the police shot the man to death (inquiries, ect). I reckon thats just because the firearms officer who did take the bullet got lucky (it lodged in his radio of all places, would you believe). This is what i heard on Radio 4 at least.

Had he been seriously injured or killed, i doubt there would be so much of that.

Inquiries are standard practice whenever there is a shooting that involves the police. It is not making a bid deal, it is following their own law to ensure that the police are not overstepping their bounds.

Heck, inquiries are the standard whenever a police car collides with the perpetrator's car/anything in a chase if there is any damage done to either vehicle.

franconbean

Apr 30, 2011
Superbeast said:
franconbean said:

Inquiries are standard practice whenever there is a shooting that involves the police. It is not making a bid deal, it is following their own law to ensure that the police are not overstepping their bounds.

Heck, inquiries are the standard whenever a police car collides with the perpetrator's car/anything in a chase if there is any damage done to either vehicle.
oh,right.
I guess the news report i heard just made it sound like it was a big deal

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
where is Sgt. Angel when you need him the most?
http://30.media.tumblr.com/aINCcq9QNq6j0nutGz138jyVo1_500.jpg

Jokes aside, I do hope the Rioting dies down. Did it really start from the fact that the cops shot an armed assailant? That's fucked up.

nexekho

Jan 12, 2011
I'm not saying it's right to burn down houses and riot. But I expected it. These people live in a place where it's impossible to achieve anything. Jobs are far and few between and even then they're always minimum wage. Born into poverty. Die in poverty. And then a new government comes along and starts slashing the budget to their detriment. Were you expecting a party?

It's not about a man being shot. That was merely the tipping point.

Duskwaith

Sep 20, 2008
MrJKapowey said:
I'm just going to post my support for the police.

That is my career of choice and I (possibly naively) have (almost) absolute faith in them to do their abilities with professional standards and to the best of their ability.

Good luck to all the officers out there trying to keep the peace!
]

As someone whos been in,witnessed and lived through quite a few riots ,the English police force are woefully crap at controlling them and even then that was a pretty mild riot by Northern Irelands standards.

There using tiny circular shields and only charge in groups of 3 not to mention they looked generally pretty damn terrified of the situation as evident in the fact they couldnt stop wide spread arson and looting. Im pretty sure they had to blow the dust of their riot equipment in some instances(you cant really count the student protests as proper riots when your cracking the heads in of a few students throwing bottles etc. and not bricks)

Though I do like to see a good riot lets those in power know that they cant just do whatever and not have some form of reprocussions.

Their has been some talk of foul play happening in the shooting of the armed persom though no one can say for sure at this stage such as did the police exacerbate said incident etc.

lolmynamewastaken

Jun 9, 2009
MrJKapowey said:
I'm just going to post my support for the police.

That is my career of choice and I (possibly naively) have (almost) absolute faith in them to do their abilities with professional standards and to the best of their ability.

Good luck to all the officers out there trying to keep the peace!
im with you buddy on everything you've said.
whats happened here is ridiculous, i think i heard some one on the radio complaining that some one important had insulted the rioters by calling them Youths or something and was actually outraged by it which i thought was the stupidest thing i had ever heard.
its times like that show why im all for "excessive" police violence.

Sarcastic_Applause

Dec 1, 2010
GrizzlerBorno said:
where is Sgt. Angel when you need him the most?
http://30.media.tumblr.com/aINCcq9QNq6j0nutGz138jyVo1_500.jpg

Jokes aside, I do hope the Rioting dies down. Did it really start from the fact that the cops shot an armed assailant? That's fucked up.
With all the Stealing going on, i think that this gunning down of an armed man is just a part of the issue; Also from what i've seen on the news: the police and some politicians are blaming 'youths'... I'm sorry but, isn't this the same government that said we shouldn't be criminalising the youth?

Either way, the economic climate is what draws me to the conclusion that this is about the financial situation of these people; they're desperate, so they're pretty much seizing what they can get. Instead of criminalising these people, the government needs to find a way to help people in this fiscal problem, lest we have more riots, and not just within London

Superbeast

Bound up the dead triumphantly!
Jan 7, 2009
franconbean said:
oh,right.
I guess the news report i heard just made it sound like it was a big deal
Yeah, the media have an unfortunate habit of doing that with pretty much everything to do with this story.

Such as the rumours that the bullet lodged in the radio is "police issue"...but from what I know of ballistics they cannot tell that much from a bullet itself - they can tell calibre and what weapon it was fired from (both generally and specifically), but you would need the cartridge case to identify if the round was one issued to the police or not. I may be totally wrong, but it sounds like someone took "It's a 9mm round" and the fact that the police carry "9mm MP5s" and made a connection, ignoring the fact that one heck of a lot of firearms use 9mm ammunition.

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
It is really surreal that such a thing could happen in Britain. But with the public sector cuts, unemployment (I read on bbc news that this particular area has 50 people to every job opening), hung parliament, student fee rises, education maintenance grant scrapping, cuts to benefits and the rest, it won't take much incentive to cause riots. I FELT like rioting after the whole student fees fiasco. People are getting angry and when people are angry it just takes a very small incident to set them off.

I fear this may be the first of many.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
You know that the media is gonna spin this against the peaceful protesters no matter what the motive of the rioters is. Also, heres hoping they break into the Treasury and take our money back from George.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Watching a bunch of fools kicking in a Ladbrokes' windows live right now in Hackney. Not even related to the "main issue" of the first riot in Tottenham. I give up with this country, I really do.

I think they should send in the Household Cavalry for a few hours, let these morons feel the full force of a good old fashioned charge

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
It's slowly coming my way, there are worries it might take Croydon tonight and if it does they reckon the bordering towns will fall later which is very close to me. However I fail to give a rat's arse as my sleepy little town would never raise a riot we're just too posh and fancy if the surrounding areas are taken its nothing more than a slight inconvenience.

Riots are becoming more and more frequent - G20, Student and now this. Why can't we just be terribly British and settle over a cup of tea.

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
I heard there were people who were litterally going to into shops and trying on the items there while looting it