Looking Back at This Summer's Movies

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Based on the comments about Godzilla, that movie's ad campaign was an execs in false advertising. It led me to believe Brian Cranston and Godzilla (THE FREAKING TITLE CHARACTER!) would have a ton of screen time, and that wound up not being the case.
So if I read what Bob said about "tryout movies" correctly, he said directors of small-budget indie flicks are being handed the keys to the big-budget effects-driven star-studded franchises without doing something in between beforehand. I'm not really comfortable with that trend.

Mr.Evil

Jul 17, 2014
I think we could add a few more lessons to contemplate from this summer season:

*) Shockingly, Tom Cruise can still carry a film - you just need to convince more people to watch him again.

*) More Godzilla... seriously, just add more Godzilla. You'll make almost everyone happy.

*) This is the summer that proved that, yes, sometimes an ape can do a better job than an actor.

*) It's funny how people lambasted ASM2 for its plot-holes and story problems, yet give How To Train Your Dragon 2 a pass despite having similar issues. In a world where people hold up Pixar films for both mature storytelling and kid-friendly visuals, it's rather surprising. Then again, no one talks about this film at all. Maybe the lesson here is that unless your animated film is made by Disney or Pixar, don't expect people to care that much about it.

And finally...

*) Michael Bay still makes bad movies. Bad movies that make money, but bad movies nonetheless. And that's never going to change.

RiseUp

Jan 31, 2014
Mr.Evil said:
*) It's funny how people lambasted ASM2 for its plot-holes and story problems, yet give How To Train Your Dragon 2 a pass despite having similar issues. In a world where people hold up Pixar films for both mature storytelling and kid-friendly visuals, it's rather surprising. Then again, no one talks about this film at all. Maybe the lesson here is that unless your animated film is made by Disney or Pixar, don't expect people to care that much about it.
Plot holes are one thing, an almost complete lack of any cohesive plot is another. ASM2 fell into the second camp, focusing instead on a web of subplots it can't seem to prioritize.

Minor correction to your post, How to Train Your Dragon 2 was made by Dreamworks.

Logience

Jun 25, 2014
Wait a second:

Did I just hear him say there's gonna be a Metal Gear Solid movie?

WHY?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

Mr.Evil

Jul 17, 2014
RiseUp said:
Mr.Evil said:
Plot holes are one thing, an almost complete lack of any cohesive plot is another. ASM2 fell into the second camp, focusing instead on a web of subplots it can't seem to prioritize.

Minor correction to your post, How to Train Your Dragon 2 was made by Dreamworks.
I was actually referring to how Pixar films tend to be both commercial and critical successes (with some obvious exceptions *cough Cars cough*), so I have a hard time believing that critics don't hold "kid flicks* up to a certain standard. Yet I honestly feel that HTTYD2 somehow got "easy A'd" because its problems were hidden under a layer of good character scenes, dragon flying, and "oh, wow, that got dark" moments. I was aware it came from DreamWorks. Sorry for the confusion.

I do agree the ASM2 has major problems. Believe me, I agree. I watched ASM2 a couple of weeks ago, and I genuinely feel Bob's pain on the matter. I just think HTTYD2 has serious story problems as well, a few of which are similar to ASM2 (chiefly rushed resolutions), but certainly not to the same degree, and that no one discusses it because not many people seem to care. My theory is that it's because it's a DreamWorks film, where audiences are used to satire and comedy but not more serious-minded fare.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
If not for Guardians and 21 Jump Street ripping the heck out of sequel films I'd say it was a totally forgettable summer.

One of the things that has me worried about the direction of films is China having too much influence over Hollywood. Dialog already seems dumbed down so things don't get lost in translation. But things seem to be going beyond that where studios fear doing anything that might offend the Chinese officials who will approve the release of a film in China. With our entertainment and media being so connected it even seems that if I want to hear any sort of negative story about China I have to get it from the BBC because in the US no network will touch something like the anniversary of Tiananmen Square for fear that a film from the parent company will get banned from China in retaliation for any reminders about what a brutal repressive government the government of China can be.

The one slight glimmer of hope I have coming out of the summer is that with doom and gloom not burning up the box office and the big summer hit being a fun film is that maybe just maybe it shake Hollywood out of the idea that people only want films chocked with doom, gloom, angst, and "realism". I really want to have fun at the movie theater again but far too many films are "no fun for you".

Triality

May 9, 2011
I'm just going to put this out there because it cannot be repeated enough.

Watching Guardians of the Galaxy was like watching Star Wars (Ep. IV) and The Fifth Element for the first time. Is it incredible that the upcoming JJ Abrams Star Wars: A New Lens Flare Filter movies have to live up to the expectations that Guardians established and not the other way around?

Goodbye old establishment. Sweet sweet irony.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, as far as summer movies (or winter for me) go, only seen two in cinemas this season:

-Calvary: In the realm of "good" for me, easily one of the best written and most intelligent movies I've seen this year. If one discounts movies that were released last year but I didn't see until this year ('Frozen' and 'The Wolf of Wall Street' for example), probably the best cinema film I've seen this year overall.

-Guardians of the Galaxy: If Calvary gets the distinction of being the best film I've seen this year, GotG gets the distinction of being...no, not the worst, but I'm giving it the strange reward of being the most average. It's "okay." It's "fine." It's everything I expect of an MCU film and this therefore an average popcorn flick (and I don't eat popcorn anyway) Perhaps the most memorable moment for me came after the film when I was trying to sum up my thoughts to family members, and literally couldn't get any words out of my mouth bar saying "it was okay," and struggling to find anything else to say about it outside giving a plot summary. Heck, even a bad film would leave me with something to talk about.

But that's just me. I'll get my flame shields up now.

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
Triality said:
I'm just going to put this out there because it cannot be repeated enough.

Watching Guardians of the Galaxy was like watching Star Wars (Ep. IV) and The Fifth Element for the first time. Is it incredible that the upcoming JJ Abrams Star Wars: A New Lens Flare Filter movies have to live up to the expectations that Guardians established and not the other way around?

Goodbye old establishment. Sweet sweet irony.
Expectations for the new Star Wars movie might have been higher if Star Wars hadn't been selling out for the past thirty years.

F.Dubois

Sep 17, 2014
Being very very continental European, even though I intellectually understand many of the concerns raised in the article I cannot "feel" them apparently. I absolutely dislike the transformers movie franchise, the last one didn't feel that bad and I think it has a lot to do with making it more accessible to non-american audiences. Likewise the pace and and structure of Lucy, by the grace of Besson, felt more familiar to me in regards to pacing and subject matter.

I think this also is a huge factor in the popularity of Disney's Frozen, considering that the most oft repeated actual criticism of the movie is that again the pacing was off and "all over the place" while I found the movie perfectly palatable.

To reiterate I think Bob hit the nail on the head when he surmised that many of the big money releases do not have a solely american audience in kind anymore and hence start maybe to feel different to the moviegoers.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
That's an interesting line of thought. Certainly pacing in GotG was one of the issues for me (similar to 'The Dark Knight Rises') - it always seemed so eager to get to the next scene, the next plot point without giving the plot/characters/audience time to breathe. As for 'Frozen', I didn't have any pacing problems with it. True, filler existed IMO (e.g. the "Fixer Upper" song...gah) but that was a blip in otherwise solid material.

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
Thank God movies now don't need american audience so much to be considered a success or failure. Is annoying how people liked to dismiss international box office as if people outside of the US can't decide if a movie should succeed.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Hawki said:
-Guardians of the Galaxy: If Calvary gets the distinction of being the best film I've seen this year, GotG gets the distinction of being...no, not the worst, but I'm giving it the strange reward of being the most average. It's "okay." It's "fine." It's everything I expect of an MCU film and this therefore an average popcorn flick (and I don't eat popcorn anyway) Perhaps the most memorable moment for me came after the film when I was trying to sum up my thoughts to family members, and literally couldn't get any words out of my mouth bar saying "it was okay," and struggling to find anything else to say about it outside giving a plot summary. Heck, even a bad film would leave me with something to talk about.

But that's just me. I'll get my flame shields up now.
Christ, this. This summer I learned that Marvel's key to making money is to stop even pretending to make something worth remembering. Sure, The Winter Soldier had "brilliant" 9/11 commentary rivaling Star Trek: Into Darkness, but at least it was trying to do something interesting.

Also Live, Die Repeat/Edge of Tomorrow was surprisingly enjoyable, so I guess I'll be keeping an eye on anything that comes out of that talent pool in the future.

Also also I'm looking forward to Neill Blomkamp's next movie, which I believe is coming out next year.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Ruisu said:
Thank God movies now don't need american audience so much to be considered a success or failure. Is annoying how people liked to dismiss international box office as if people outside of the US can't decide if a movie should succeed.
It all comes down to understanding the cut.

In the US and Canada the movie studios get the lions share of the opening weekend box office. If a movie opens big then that's a big pay day for the studio. As the release weeks go on the cut gets smaller for the studio. Outside of the domestic market the US studios only get a small cut of the box office. Several good articles on what studios get http://io9.com/5747305/how-much-money-does-a-movie-need-to-make-to-be-profitable and http://online.wsj.com/articles/for-hollywood-not-all-box-office-dollars-are-equal-1409241925

I also feel that international over home market is really bad for creativity. Films can't be as witty or quick with the dialog when film makers are overly worried that something will be lost in translation. Trying to please the repressive government of China just to get in the Chinese theaters is a bad idea because it means studios will have to forever be quite about Tiananmen Square and human rights abuses. Even when China acts horrible they can never ever be the bad guys again because they might bar films in retaliation. It also means we are getting McFilms where everything has the flavor of McDonalds to try to please everyone by taking out flavor into a general blandness. What I've enjoyed about films made outside of the US is getting the flavor of place that isn't exactly like where I live.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Marvel already had their flop. Or did everyone forget about The Incredible Hulk?

Aristatide

Jul 19, 2014
My money for Marvel Flop is definitely on Ant-Man. It's already been through several big shake-ups just in terms of production, and worse, they've been highly-publicized shake-ups. But I've read enough about Marvel Studios to expect the actual film will be no worse than, say, IM2, with the difference that the audience will go in expecting a worse movie and so actively looking for flaws. Even a lot of fans who would be loyal through the shake-ups have been turned off by how the movie has already explicitly saying it's going to be trashing a lot of what brings the comics fan to the screen: continuity with the best parts of the books. Sure, there are probably some Ant-Man fans who hate Wasp, but that's a smaller number than the ones who feel otherwise, especially since she's been in enough ensemble titles to get a following that don't care one fig for Hank or Scott. A double-dose of negative pre-coverage combined with an audience that's actually starting to become almost eager for a Marvel 'stumble' and you've got a recipe for, if not an outright tank, at least a serious fall from previous heights.

(I'm not including The Incredible Hulk in these factors because that was during the early, trial, throw-stuff-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks days.)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Ruisu said:
people have brought up the issue of "simplifying" to allow for better translation

I was always aware of the "china" thing but didn't consider it too much...I wonder if we'll see more movies with "eastern" influence

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Aristatide said:
My money for Marvel Flop is definitely on Ant-Man. It's already been through several big shake-ups just in terms of production, and worse, they've been highly-publicized shake-ups. But I've read enough about Marvel Studios to expect the actual film will be no worse than, say, IM2, with the difference that the audience will go in expecting a worse movie and so actively looking for flaws. Even a lot of fans who would be loyal through the shake-ups have been turned off by how the movie has already explicitly saying it's going to be trashing a lot of what brings the comics fan to the screen: continuity with the best parts of the books. Sure, there are probably some Ant-Man fans who hate Wasp, but that's a smaller number than the ones who feel otherwise, especially since she's been in enough ensemble titles to get a following that don't care one fig for Hank or Scott. A double-dose of negative pre-coverage combined with an audience that's actually starting to become almost eager for a Marvel 'stumble' and you've got a recipe for, if not an outright tank, at least a serious fall from previous heights.

(I'm not including The Incredible Hulk in these factors because that was during the early, trial, throw-stuff-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks days.)
"Early days" equaling "throwing stuff at the wall" isn't really a defence. If anything, it seems to be Marvel's overall production style, to the extent where different films are being thrown on the wall, and you have to see all of them to make sense of what the hell is going on. 'Captain America' is one example with the Tessaract - a plot point is brought up in a film (McGuffin, vague references to Norse mythology), and if you want that explained, you will have needed to watch 'Thor'. Not interested in 'Thor'? Too bad. Alternatively, you may have watched 'Thor', seen Hawkeye, wondering what someone is doing on a base with a bow...and get nothing more of "nameless bow guy" (is he even named in the film?), and have to see 'The Avengers' to find out more. And if you have no intention of seeing 'The Avengers', then the movie has devoted 5-10 minutes to a character who is of no relevance to the VERY MOVIE HE'S INTRODUCED IN. 'The Empire Strikes Back' introduced the emperor before 'Return of the Jedi', but not only are both films under the "Star Wars" moniker, but the emperor was also relevant to the actual plot of the film he first appeared in.

So yeah. "Throwing stuff at the wall" is what Marvel did throughout all of phase 1, and the reason why I like 'Iron Man' the most (and consider it the only "good" MCU film that I've seen) is that, among other things, it was content to succeed or fail on its own merits. Apart from the post-credits scene, the film was self-contained enough to understand it, and any sequel bait was to an 'Iron Man 2'...which instead set up sequel bait to every other MCU film to the detriment of its own writing. And while GotG is the only MCU film of phase 2 I've seen, it hasn't got much better. It was self-contained for the most part, but I have to reflect on the irony that Thanos (who's actually named in the film) is introduced in GotG 1, and probably won't even be defeated in a GotG film. So any filmgoer who's not necessarily interested in 'The Avengers' will still have to see it to get a full resolution in all likelihood.

...okay, I've got it all out. I'll leave a link below for a similar view on the subject that I found carthartic...and flamebait is fun ;)

http://blip.tv/confused-matthew/matthew-s-marvel-madness-or-why-marvel-studios-sucks-ass-7021494