Looking back on old games you've haven't played in years.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I recently played through the original Tomb Raider again.

1. How did I survive the last levels with my psyche intact?

2. Some of the platforming is really unfair. ;_;

3. It was pretty major fun. I guess that's what counts, right?

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
I just started playing Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines again. Someone needs to remake that game. The story elements are really good, the graphics... not so much.

And I still need to finish Planescape.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
I've been playing Continuum again. It's still awesome and still one of the best multiplayer games I've played and there is even a large community currently, few hundred playing when I logged on earlier.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
leet_x1337 said:
Most of the games from my childhood were for the PC, and they don't even work any more. Especially since they aren't on GoG. The original NFS: Most Wanted game still holds up, though. If you can deal with some rubber-band AI, the free-roaming police chases are pretty amazing.
Fun fact: the gamecube version didn't had rubberband a.i. or at least a whole lot less.

OT: i should replay Micro Man, it's a freeware game which came for free with windows back in the day.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
wars and warriors: joan of arc. its not really old (2004, i started gaming from 2000 or so) but i remembered it being amazing and fun. then i replayed it like 3 months ago ...

ToffeeMC

Nov 12, 2011
Super Mario Sunshine: An amazing game, with a flawed Yoshi and it manages to point out that I suck at 3D platforming

Sora383

Escapist +
Mar 17, 2010
Alberta the land of snow snow and sometimes sun
Country
Canada
I was cleaning the thing I store all my games in and Lunar 2 fell off one of the shelves and smacked me upside the head so I took that as a sign that I needed to replay it. Gotta admit nothing has made me laugh harder when Leo puts on the white mask and call himself Mystere..then expects everyone to not know its really him.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
I played Klonoa: Door to Phantomile and Final Fantasy VIII recently. Both games were favourites of my childhood and I'm happy to say they're still amazing Klonoa was awesome enough to stop me playing Dishono(u)red.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
There are a lot of games I do this with actually and one of the reasons I collect old carts and discs. Most recently though, I played Quest of the Mystic Ninja on the SNES and Ninja's Quest staring Goemon (I probably fucked up both titles) on the N64. I enjoyed the SNES one but not enough to see it through to the end. I am now where I always ended up stopped when I was a kid but unlike that dystopian past, I have a camera-phone which allows me to get back to points in-game without having to remember passcodes etc.

The N64 one however is a game that I rented and loved as a kid but looking back it's really no wonder the US doesn't see more Goemon titles. Nothing against Japanese games because this is more of an, 'N64 games look like absolute ass' kind of argument. It looked better than I expected it to but it still looked mostly horrible. Playing it was kind of a chore as well.

Finally, I'm kicking myself for never finishing Wild Arms (PSX) in the past. Not done yet but I'm working on it.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
I harbor a soft spot for late-'90s titles I used to play, especially Age of Empires.

Graphically, Age of Empires holds up pretty well - it was always a stylized game to some degree, and (especially when compared to, say, Warcraft 2) is still eminently playable. However, the gameplay takes some expectation-managing, as even the features introduced in the still-excellent AoE2 are sorely missed here. So in my case it's a matter of letting the rose-colored glasses stay on while playing, and wishing that Ensemble hadn't bit the dust.

PanasonicYouth

Aug 26, 2010
Games with 2D Graphics from the 3D console era seem to hold up well. Games like Alundra and SOTN still look lovely and play well today.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I know that this isn't really all that old but I always look back fondly on the Halo 3 mission where you have to take down two Scarabs. This isn't all that hard but it's still awesome to leap out of your Hornet onto the Scarab, gun down everything on board then blow the core and leap off. Then, you watch the large explosion, hijack a ghost, launch yourself off of the cliff and on to the other Scarab, once again gun everything down, blow the core, grab your ghost that's still on top of the Scarab, and drive off right before it explodes.

That's one of my favorite moments in any game.

Another game that I look back fondly on is the original Need For Speed: Most Wanted. Getting away from cops in that game was just so much fun. I became so good at that game that I could drive around at heat level 5 for an hour and still get away from anything.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
Well I bought Doom 3 Barry Fucks Goats edition (I actually bought it on console and PC, cause, I'm just cool like that) and I've been playing through Doom 1 a bit and it's still as fun as I remember it being on the PS1 but after a while the sound track began to bore a hole through my sanity...

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Zantos said:
Although it is still a fantastic game, I'd forgotten how... frustrating certain parts of TimeSplitters 2 are. I'm looking at you Atom Smasher.
Those Rare/Free Radical games really needed some skill for the hardest difficulties. The time I took recently to beat one of the levels in the Perfect Dark remake was atrocious.

And what about Neotokyo? I havent played TS2 in a while but I remember that one being a pain in the ass with the stealth.

OT: Played COD 4 (not that old, I know) today and remembered why COD was once looked as a great game that had quite some innovation. I still havent played BLOPS2 but from what I have heard it seems like it is trying to be better although the campaign still looks like it doesnt give me the option to tackle the firefights in the way that I want (a lot of "Do it as I want or die" stuff)

Kococoa

Nov 19, 2012
I recently tried Dungeon Keeper 2 after spotting it in an old box, I loved this game years ago but now I can't seem to get the feel for it and it isn't really engaging anymore.
Also I recently picked back up Luigi's Mansion for the Gamecube which I absolutely loved when I first got it but even though I did complete it again I didn't feel it was as fun as I thought it would be, damn nostalgia.

I did try Baulder's Gate which when I was bit younger didn't like so much but this time through I loved it, I plan on picking up the Enhanced Editions when they are released.

Muunokhoi

May 18, 2012
I have recently gotten back into Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and I can say with all honesty that the game is just as challenging as it was when I was a kid. Be able to die oin the tutorial still continues to make me laugh and cry at the same time.

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
So I found some time to look back at another game I hadn't played in nearly 20 years. Jumping Flash! for the PS1. I found the game to hold up surprisingly well. Especially since it's a FPS on a console before dual analog control and has a heavy platforming element to it. I did a video about it as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdxaXOA0QyA