Looking for 2D or overhead-view multiplayer PC game

ShirubaGamer

May 9, 2011
Since I frequent the Escapist, it's safe to say that I am a gamer. My wife, is also a gamer. Problem is, she can't play 3D games, as they make her motion sick. Side scrollers are fine, and overhead-view games like Magicka don't aggravate her motion sickness. We had a lot of fun with Mario, Magicka, and Trine.

She also gets into persistent-world games, like Ameba Pigg (basically a gardening-cooking-home-decorating-boring-as-hell simulator).

Non-persistent multiplayer games are fine and all, but I am looking for a good, 2D or overhead view MMO, we can play together, that won't send her to the restroom, in agony. Also, it should be relatively simple to play, and it can't be heavy on the dialog, as English is not her first language.

Suggestions?

Thanks for any advice :)

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Does it have to be online? Because if you're in the same room and you have access to a couple of 360 controllers, seems like an emulator and some 8/16 bit coop games would be your best bet. Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3 (although those two are kind of dialog heavy), the list goes on. Alternatively, what about just an old console and some of those games?

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
2D topdown MMOs are mostly casual games.
Here's just a few off the top of my head.
-Fantasy online
-Dead Frontier (zombie, kinda 3d top down)
-Realm of the mad god
-Transformice

ShirubaGamer

May 9, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions. Browser games are kind of barebones however. And extremely crowded. I'll keep looking :)

Auron

Mar 28, 2009
You might want to try classic CRPG'S, Baldur's Gate had a lot of dialogue but was pretty straightforward, The new remake or 2 with a few mods can allow you to play the entire saga in multiplayer.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Closest thing I can think of is Terraria, so I guess if both of you like to dig holes and build shelters on top of exploring, killing things and collecting loot...

Also, it's low enough on requirements that a six year old gaming rig can run a dedicated server and log into itself to play with a few other people without experiencing lag (in my personal experience).

ShirubaGamer

May 9, 2011
Terraria, Spiral Knights and Torchlight II all look pretty good. Torchlight doesn't look like a persistent MMO, but at this point, that's becoming less important. Just want a good game, that we can play together. I'll try out the demo. Baldur's Gate is too heavy on the dialog. Not understanding English so well, she would get lost in that game pretty quickly. That's why I don't try to get her into Diablo (or Neverwinter Nights co-op).

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
First 2 options that popped into my head:

- DotA 2
- Starcraft 2

Then I read the post, probably a bad idea to play those with you wife, stressing and heavily competitive. However some spinoffs like Awesomenauts are fun and relaxing (also 2D).

For an MMO the best 2D one i have played is MapleSotry, which is free on steam, however this days there are tons of options as you can see here:

- http://www.mmobomb.com/games/2d
- http://thebigmmorpglist.com/category/2d-games/
- http://mmohuts.com/editorials/top-10-2d-mmorpgs

Finally , Seabands mate (http://www.sea-band.com/) they worked for a girl I used to play with with the same problem.

The

Jan 24, 2012
Maybe you should try something like League of Legends or DOTA 2. Someone already mentioned Realm of the Mad God, that one's a masterpiece.

Khada

Night Angel
Jan 8, 2009
Find a private Ragnarok server to play on [http://ratemyserver.net/].

EDIT:

I recommend TalonRO [http://ratemyserver.net/index.php?page=detailedlistserver&serid=1491&itv=6&url_sname=TalonRO]

Ragnarok is fairly popular game with the ladies as it has anime-ish/cute-ish visuals and plenty of silly head gears to farm etc.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Almost forget, this is the indie sale weekend on steam, which means awesome games that suit you like:

- Terraria

- Natural Selection 2 (3d, but seabands mate)

- Castle Crashers

- Trine 2 DLC

- Beat Hazzard

- Frozen Synapse

- Capsized (local co-op only)

- Awesomenauts

All on sale.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
ShirubaGamer said:
Not understanding English so well, she would get lost in that game pretty quickly. That's why I don't try to get her into Diablo (or Neverwinter Nights co-op).
I've played Diablo 1 & 2, and there is very little dialog that's actually important and once you'e gone through a couple of times you'll just skip it anyway. It's hack and slash, not a story game. Don't be deceived by the fact that every NPC has a big monologue for every stage of the plot. You only need to listen to the quest giver and you can make them repeat it. And you are likely to play through the plot dozens of times or even hundreds if you get into it, by which time you'll know the game backwards anyway.

Also, try out Runescape, an overhead view MMORPG.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Ragnarok Online has been mentioned above. But I wouldn't go with a private one. There's a free server to play on with official RO these days anyway. Play on that. Or if it's too slow for you, maybe try a ragnarok private server with low exp/job/loot rates. (servers list their server rates most of the time.) 6/6/6 or below would be best, imo.

ShirubaGamer

May 9, 2011
Lol, Dota, and SCII are a little too complex. She likes the more casual kind of game. Mario is her favorite, but there are only so many times I can play that game without wanting to jump into the warm embrace of a nonsensically-placed lava pit. After looking over some of the suggestions above, I think she would get into Terraria, if I could find a way to simplify it. She loves building stuff. A co-op SimCity would be awesome, if it wasn't for the fact that I would be supporting a company like EA, and their rotten "punish legitimate consumers and call it anti-piracy" tactics. And there's no way I will ever again purchase an Origin-required game.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I'll throw in for Torchlight 2 as well. Also, Trine 2 can be very fun with two people. It's a very pretty 2D platformer/puzzle game that involves a lot of co-operation.