Looking for a customisable squad single player game.

RebornKusabi

Mar 11, 2009
Agent of Fate said:
Hi Everyone.

I?ve made topics in the past asking for game recommendations, but I think I?ve been too specific and didn?t get any replies. So I thought I?d try again a little more general.

So I?m looking for a single-player game where you control a team/squad/party/group (genre doesn?t matter, RPG, TBS, RTS, Shooter whatever) but where they are all customisable. Not just equipment and classes, or even names like in some JRPGS, but also in appearance. The more customisation the better.

The only caveat is I don?t want anything too hard. I know X-com lets you do this, but the RNG in that game hates me, and the fact you can lose the game at the start and not be aware of it but not performing your research in the right order does not appeal to me at all.

I?ve got a few older games that do this to a limited degree (Icewind Dale and Dragon Quest IX) but I?m hoping there?s something new and with more options.

Thanks!
Honestly? XCOM 2.

I played through around 25 hours of it on Steam, and I plan to play way more eventually, and because of Steam Workshop, it's EXTREMELY easy to get rid of RNG. I too hate how RNG in XCOM games hate you, but with mods, XCOM 2 easily shut up to my top 10 favorite games in the last three years.

Edit: And in the realm of customization, XCOM 2 is a galactic bump in customization options above the "first" one, Enemy Unknown.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Yet another vote for XCOM 2 for me. Just be sure not to add that freaking monster hunter DLC, that breaks the game to almost beyond playable. Although I did manage to get through it with some luck, it was not fun. Made the rest of the game seem too damn easy, actually.

If you're frustrated by RNG, there are 2 things I suggest:
1) more generous timers script (adds about 4 more turns to each "timed" mission, or infinite if you want). So that hostage rescuing mission doesn't go ass up if suddenly a Faceless spawns up next to your team and you are forced to retreat or hang on for a turn.

2) the research isn't that hard to get your head around, but you will benefit from a tiny bit of homework. Just decide what play style you want (Elite level soldiers OR Elite level hardware/tech OR Psi-ops OR battle mechs), and just stick to one. I found myself with an abundance of resources, time, AND options by late game without a worry in the world.

Seriously, the customization in the game is off the hook, the version that gives you all the extra DLC makes it pretty awesome to tweak your squad with names, colors, armor, and look.

As a side-note for Jagged Alliance, yeah Back in Action was too broken for me. Lots of tedious mechanics, and easy to get yourself in a situation where you would pretty much break your game. Also, having to manually pick up every piece of ammo or item after clearing a map is just stupid, considering how easy that was in JA2. Just play JA2, unofficial patch, and if you like that give Urban Chaos a go. Untold hours of fun there already.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Here is an unpopular suggestion, because I LOVE the style of this specific game:

Abomination: The Nemesis Project

Very overrated game in my opinion.
Not a specific reason why I suggest this game. Just wanted to inform others to play it as well.

For the actual answer I shall say X-Com myself.

Agent of Fate

Aug 29, 2011
I had now idea what Mugen Souls was till I looked it up and my response was kinda: 'What the heck?' It's a combat seduction game? Not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

Do the SWAT and Rainbow Six games let you create you team? If so it could be fun. I have a copy of SWAT 3 in a pile of old games my uncle gave me, so I'll try that out to see if I like the gameplay.

Templar Battleforce. Now this was the kinda thing I was hoping they'd be more of! Shame it's a little limited in customisation, but I definitely gonna try it out.

And Freedom Force, I've probibly lost weeks of my life to those games! Have to say I actually prefered the origonal to the sequel. FOR FREEDOOOOOM! Sorry, had too! ;-p

I don't really mind old or new graphics, so the wizardry games could be a good call.

Heh, it looks like 'XCOM 2 and mod the hell outta it' is the most popular choice! It's a bit out of my budget right now (cause I may have pre-ordered a lot of the new Lego Dimension stuff..) but come the sales I will get it. Any suggestions for specific mods?

Had a look for Abomination and the only one I could find was a second hand german copy. Sorry!

This is really great guys! Cheers! My Steam and GOG wishlists are quite a bit fuller now! ;)

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir. You can build all the members of an up to 4 party group. Wealth of choices.

Syndicate Wars, also? If you like cyberpunk...

Agent of Fate

Aug 29, 2011
Thanks! I had great fun with the first Neverwinter Nights though the second one slipped me by so I should check it out.

And yep, I like cyberpunk! Another good call! ;)

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir. You can build all the members of an up to 4 party group. Wealth of choices.
Not to mention the countless mods for it including full remakes of Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale.

Not many games really have in depth character customisation outside of equipment. (except RPGs) One I haven't seen recommended yet is Silent Storm, effectively a WW2 Xcom with sci fi elements. Also had a sort of sequel called Hammer and Sickle but haven't played that myself.

Another somewhat obscure one is Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy. And old strategy title. Not for everyone but you can rename your soldiers and are quite customisable with loadouts, including mech suits.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Zhukov said:
XCOoooooo...oh.

It does have easier difficulties.

Aside from that I can't think of much. Most RPGs only let you customize your protagonist and fill out the party/squad with premade characters for story purposes.

Divinity Original Sin has you customize two party members, then choose up to two premade ones.
Yeah they are premade, but you can choose their skills, stats and abilities as you see fit.