Looking For a Good Fiction About Insanity

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
I have always been interested in the concept of insanity, for many of the physical, mental, and even philosophical reasons. It has always fascinated me, so I have been looking for a good book that looks over the topic well. I have been thinking about "A Clockwork Orange" or "One Flew Over The Cu Coo's Nest". I also vaguely remember someone recommending one that had a title that had something to do with bees if anyone has any idea what it is.

If any of you have read any good books about the subject please recommend them.

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
Well, there's something close, an indie movie called Pi. It's not exactly about insanity, but it's very borderline. I'd suggest it.

TheGreatCoolEnergy

Aug 30, 2009
Lovecraft had some interesting views on the cause of many insanities...may want to check it out if you don't mind cosmic horror.

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
I haven't read any books that centered around insanity (Red Claw is coming close, since the psychopath forgot to take his meds!), but American Gods certainly drove me insane (I read it in 8th grade). I've also heard some good things about an old Jack London book, published as both "The Star Rover" and "The Jacket".

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Basically anything in Chthulhu mythos. Lovecraft is your friend, if insanity interests you.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
sorry i cant suggest any books, don't read them myself, but i can suggest the HL2 mod Korsakovia set inside the mind of a mental patient named christopher, scary as hell, but an interesting exploration of what its like inside the mind of mental patient.

Optional Opinion

Dec 29, 2008
Insanity you say?

You need to read about the Russian's sleep deprivation experiment I say!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/archive/index.php/t-118548141.html

Don't worry it has nothing to do with body building

Rawker

Jun 24, 2009
Look up a book called invisible. It's about a kid who is socially awkward, and stuff that you;d think is normal, until the end, and you piece everything he did together.

Sundavar

Feb 7, 2009
Optional Opinion said:
Insanity you say?

I don't advise reading this. It's probably fake and gay and since I read it I'm probably going to have nightmares about cannibalism for the next week or so. GG...

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
http://classiclit.about.com/od/blackcatedgarallanpoe/a/blackcat_eapoe.htm
This is a very good Edgar Allen Poe short story called 'The Black Cat.' You might enjoy it, acutally alot of Poe's stuff rocks.

Red Pawn

Jun 3, 2009
If you're really desperate for this sort of thing, then you could always try picking through the turgid swamps of fan fiction clustered around the internet - unless, of course, you're looking for a quality read, in which case I'm tempted to say "Johnny The Homicidal Maniac", although the series is more about morbid hilarity and catharsis than using clinical insanity as a means of making a statement. BioShock did this as well, of course.
Come to think of it, I'm rather interested in this sort of thing myself, so I'll see what I can find in m'library and report back in a bit.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
anything lovecraft is pretty insane and there is a short story called 'the yellow room' that is really good in this area

Seki

Dec 22, 2009
Try A Scanner Darkly by Phillip Dick, or alternatively watch the movie...to see all of keanu reeves 2 facial expressions animated.

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
The book Gerald's Game by Stephen King is about a woman who trapped in a horrible situation and the thought that go through her mind, plus it has some pretty messed up parts in it that make me put the book down and come back to it another day.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Optional Opinion said:
Insanity you say?

While that was quite disturbing I highly doubt it is real. It seemed plausible until 4 malnourished men were able to overpower and kill several spec ops soldiers even when out numbered, and the fact that many of the injuries described would cause the victim to die from bleeding out.