Looking for a new anime, but the is problem I hate most animes.

Slash Joel

Apr 7, 2011
I'm looking for a recommendation for a new anime to watch, but I hate most animes and the strange shit that happens in them. I have found a few that are good and hope to find more. Here is what i'm looking for:

1) I love the show code geass so maybe something similar.
2) Something that makes sense and down to earth.
3) It must come to somewhat of an end. Dont want to get into a show like Naruto thats more then ten seasons long. Keep it short.
4) No tenticles.
5) No crazed bloodthristy weirdos like in hellsing.
6) No over sexual stuff.
7) Cool fight scenes.

I am no anime expert so i apperciate your help. Thanks

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Ghost in the Muthafucking Shell. I don't usually like anime and I love that show. And Samurai Chamoloo.

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
I know a very good short anime named Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Yes, it sounds cute. Yes, it looks cute. Give it a try.

1) I've never watched Code Geass, but it's a rather adult show so it might be in your league.
2) It will make sense by the end, but throughout the series you may get confused. It's a little complicated, but as I said, you'll connect everything together by the end.
3) It's only twelve episodes, and the creator said he's very doubtful about making another season. And it doesn't need one.
4) There's no tentacles.
5) No bloodthirsty people.
6) No oversexual stuff, but there's quite a few Yuri(Girl's love/Lesbian) implications.
7) Lots of cool fights scenes.

If you do try it out, I know you'll think it's too cutesy. Give it until the end of episode three to amaze you.

Trust me.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Hmm, I'll second the GITS suggestion. Be advised Ghost in the Shell and Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex are quite different artistically. SAC is closer to the style of the manga.

Now, bearing in mind your stated requirements, I'll browse my anime....

Angel Beats might work. I haven't watched many episodes yet but so far it seems to fit in.

You may like Appleseed (2004 movie) and if you like it, you'll probably like Appleseed Ex Machina (2007 movie). If you like both of those, you might maybe like the Appleseed OVA from 1988. I only suggest watching it if you liked the movies.

Blue Sub 6 may be right up your alley.

If you liked the mecha aspect of Code Geass, I suggest Gundam 08th MS Team and Gundam 0083. These are IMO the most "down to earth" of the Gundam animes, and incidentally also two of the best. You might also try Gundam 00, which is my personal favorite.

Noir is a good one, if you just have patience with the flashbacks.

Elfen Lied is one of my favorites.

Gunslinger Girl - TV, then OVA (Il Teatrino).

Outlaw Star is a damn good anime and as a bonus, even has a good dub, which is extremely rare.

Record of Lodoss War - OVA first, then TV (Chronicles of the Heroic Knight) if you like the OVA. Not sure if you like fantasy but if you could deal with the Geass powers in Code Geass, I figure you could probably deal with a couple of mages, a dragon or two, and an elf here or there. Well worth it, I assure you. ;)

Saikano - Only if you like grimdark stuff.

If you want a break from all this seriousness, try Shinryaku! Ika Musume. Oh wait, you said no tentacles--make that Shakugan no Shana.

Or Slayers. (any of them)

Sohryuden/Legend of the Dragon Kings is a classic.

And finally, Vampire Hunter D.

And that's all the anime I've seen that I think might fit into your requirements. Hm. The list isn't as long as I thought. I probably missed a few. If you like any of the animes listed, I could suggest even more based on that.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
I'm pretty much like you in that I dislike most anime, even series that people tell me I'll love like Evangelion, Elfen Lied, and Ruroni Kenshin or however it's spelled. Mostly I hate how a lot of anime is full of badly written drama and shitty, forced humor

I did love Code Geass, especially season 1. Other series I've loved are Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, which meet all your criteria. They're 26 episodes apiece, if I remember correctly, and end quite definitively. They're not over the top or weird, despite one being set in space and the other in feudal Japan. They're not really sexualized at all (well, one of the characters in Cowboy Bebop is obviously fanbait, but there isn't any awkwardly written romance or anything. If you could handle the blatant and idiotic sexualization in Code Geass, you'll have no problems in Bebop), somethand they have no tentacles :p

And the fight scenes are hella stylish. Not over the top, but they flow really well and you never roll your eyes at the protagonist slaughtering tons of mooks (so, it's not like Code Geass Season 2 :p). Also, both series have easygoing humor that doesn't try to force you to laugh, but you'll end up smiling at anyway.

The two series are actually pretty similar. I bet they were written by the same people.

So, from one guy who hates most anime to another, go watch Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo.

Yamato-san

May 29, 2011
Kuroneko97 said:
I know a very good short anime named Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Yes, it sounds cute. Yes, it looks cute. Give it a try.
oh man, did those last three sentences make me lol. But yeah, MadoMagi is definitely worth a look and is, in my opinion at least, easily one of the greatest shows in recent years. However, due to its status as a deconstruction, it might require at least some familiarity with the genre in order to truly be appreciated. Speaking of deconstructions, Uta~Kata's also pretty awesome, but it might not be what the TC's looking for due to its lack of action (in fact, it needs to be said that the "cool fight scenes" requirement really kills off a lot of great choices, considering several recent anime have been slice-of-life series).

4) There's no tentacles.
didn't the end of episode 7/beginning of episode 8 kinda feature tendrils of some sort? Though, it wasn't used in any sort of sexually-implied manner, if that's what the TC was worrying about (in fact, due to the stylistic art of the scenes in question, it may quite literally be the least-detailed moment in the series, so even if the tendrils were to hypothetically go somewhere that they shouldn't be, no one would be able to tell).

KaWaiiTSuKI

Feb 22, 2011
I agree with the guy that said Outlaw Star as that show's amazing.
As for another recommendation... Cowboy Bebop.
That's just mandatory to watch, even if you don't like anime.
And FLCL as it's just funny and I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't like it

DuskServent

Jul 22, 2010
How about GaoGaiGar?
It goes with your stuff:

1) I love the show code geass so maybe something similar. = Giant Robots, although Code Geass giant robots would be around Real Robots then being Super Robots
2) Something that makes sense and down to earth. = Kinda does make sense, its good
3) It must come to somewhat of an end. Dont want to get into a show like Naruto thats more then ten seasons long. Keep it short. = Only two seasons long, and there is an OVA GaoGaiGar Final
4) No tenticles. = None
5) No crazed bloodthristy weirdos like in hellsing. = Nope
6) No over sexual stuff. = None, although I think it said somewhere there is slight nudity in the OVA somewhere
7) Cool fight scenes. = Giant Robots, need I say more

But, this could help:

This could also help prove how badass it is, from Alpha 3:

Tr3mbl3Tr3mbl3

Mar 11, 2010
If you're a gamer who's slightly interested in anime, I would strongly recommend you transition with titles like the Dead Space movie or Halo: Legends, both of which are available on Netflix.

Another underrated gem I recommend to anime fans is Elfin Lied, although it contains an excess of strong violence and nudity and as far as I know you have to order the DVD set offline to watch a single episode, although it's totally worth it.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
http://randomc.net/
http://kurogane.animeblogger.net/
http://psgels.blogsome.com/
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/

You give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.

You teach a man to fish. And he goes fishing. For his own fish.

He don't need fish from you no more.

mocruz1200

Jan 17, 2009
avatar: the last airbender. up until i saw Ghost in the Shell, it was my favorite anime. seriously check it out, it pretty much fits all your criteria. its on netflix if you have it.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Kahunaburger said:
Ghost in the Muthafucking Shell. I don't usually like anime and I love that show. And Samurai Chamoloo.
Listen to Jackson. He knows best.

Sulgoth

Aug 16, 2010
7 bucks a month at crunchyroll.com, if you don't find something to like there I will be disappointed

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Slash Joel said:
I'm looking for a recommendation for a new anime to watch, but I hate most animes and the strange shit that happens in them. I have found a few that are good and hope to find more. Here is what i'm looking for:

3) It must come to somewhat of an end. Dont want to get into a show like Naruto thats more then ten seasons long. Keep it short.
4) No tenticles.
6) No over sexual stuff.
7) Cool fight scenes.

I strongly suggest the anime Busou Renkin. It's an amazing anime, and I think it'll cover you're bases very well. Only 26 episodes, and it's my favorite anime besides Code Geass. The only other thing I would suggest is FMA. It's longer, something like 50 episodes I think, but also covers your bases very well.

You might also like the first 60 or so episodes of Bleach. Just ignore everything after that and it's actually a very good anime, with pretty much everything wrapped up. After that it starts breaking it's own rules, which is a deal-breaker for me.

I also suggest Gundam 00 and Gundam seed, and probably Gundam wing as well, although that one got less interesting to me once they went into space. gundam in general is pretty over the top, but those 3 aren't terrible.

Yeah, that taps my internal library. Good luck on your search. Also, if anyone knows an anime that is like Code Geass, I would really like to hear about it.

Edit: Avatar: the last Airbender is also very good, but it might be a little too long for you. It's got 3 seasons plus a few movies.

Edit 2: I personally suggest against Cowboy Bebop strongly. If you like an anime that is connected and plot focused, I really don't think it's for you. I hated it, couldn't make it past like episode 5, and I really tried because it's so highly praised. The episodes were almost completely isolated and without any connective plot. and the plot in each individual episode was cursory, just kinda an excuse for the action. If that's your thing, knock yourself out, but judging from requirements 1 and 2, i just don't think you will like it.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
DarkRyter said:

Wow, completely different from the sites I use. I've never heard of these, are they download sites? cuz i stream.

Echopunk

Jul 6, 2011
Try "Now and Then, Here and There"

It is pretty dark, but really good.

I also really enjoyed Serial Experiments Lain, Ergo Proxy, both seasons of Darker Than Black, and Wolf's Rain... but they're probably fairly common so you've likely already seen/heard of them.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Try...
Serial Experiments Lain...
Ergo Proxy...
Gungrave...
Blue Sub No. 6...
Paranoia Agent...
Mushi Shi...
or...
Shiguri Death Frenzy...

The Becker

Jul 17, 2011
Slash Joel said:

4) No tenticles.
6) No over sexual stuff.
7) Cool fight scenes.

You might like Desert Punk its on Netflix if you have it. Basically world is mostly a desert and it follows a mercenary who is like a teenager. Its good check it out. Not very "out there"

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Any of the Lupin III ovas/movies, particularly Castle Cagliostro. He's just a really fun character, and the Caligostro was directed by Hayao Miyazaki, a guy who's films should ALL be watched. People have recommended Cowboy Bebop, If you enjoy it, then give Lupin a chance, as the Bebop crew were designed as a tribute to the cast from Lupin III.

The first season of Gurren Lagaan doesn't get to over the top as far as giant robot anime go, and it has a satisfactory conclusion, if you don't want to get into that absurd, power level >9k stuff.

Finally, The Big O. It's got a noir vibe going for it, and the main character is basically what you'd get if Batman was a giant robot pilot. The fact that one of the recurring villains is clearly another Lupin tribute is just gravy.

PS, I'm surprised that no one has suggested Evangelion yet. I personally didn't enjoy it, but there seem to be a lot of people who do. Honestly, I didn't see the appeal, it was just some whiny, angst ridden tweenagers killing the monster of the week in a giant robot for 24 episodes, and then a 2 episode mind fuck that, in my opinion, fell flat. It was just eastern philosophy being spewed out at a rate above normal conversational speeds, and a bit out of order... Enough fans complained that they made a new ending for it, TWICE.

PPS, Gravion. Giant robot anime in a monster of the week formula, done extremely well in my opinion. The fanservice is milder than that in Code Geass, so no issues there. Note: My friend stated he enjoyed it a lot more when he realized he wasn't supposed to take it seriously. How he got half way through the series before figuring that out still confounds me.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
spartan231490 said:
DarkRyter said:

Wow, completely different from the sites I use. I've never heard of these, are they download sites? cuz i stream.

Get-anime.net
http://www.animefreak.tv/
Whoa, there, man.

The stuff I posted are blogs, review sites, places to read about anime.

A streaming site, though. That's piracy. I'm not saying I'm without sin, here. I get my anime the best way I can. But, uh, where you get your fix might be something you wanna keep to yourself around mixed company.