Looking For A New MMORPG

Yokomitsu

Mar 25, 2009
ive been through flyff, rappelz, corum, runescape, WOW and now i need a new one anyone got any suggestions??

Incompl te

Dec 13, 2008
Guild Wars is good.

No grinding, no subscription fees (just the initial fee to buy the game [even then it's cheap as])

Good class of people in the community.

Excellent graphics.

MindPhish

Mar 19, 2009
Dkozza said:
Guild Wars is good.

No grinding, no subscription fees (just the initial fee to buy the game [even then it's cheap as])

Good class of people in the community.

Excellent graphics.
+1 on Guild Wars

I've played for almost two years. It's a great game with very nice graphics and the community, for the most part, is helpful. Best thing about it is it's free to play! I just started playing LotRO [http://www.lotro.com/trial/index.php] and so far I'm liking the game, so much to do, it's gonna keep me busy for a while. I hear good things about DDo [http://www.ddo.com/] I've never played that one myself but it's another one to look at.

Husky.Gnoll

Mar 10, 2009
I recommend Runes of Magic, http://www.runesofmagic.com/

Gate to Heavens, http://www.gthonline.net/

Arclord, http://www.archlordgame.com/

or Requiem: Bloodymare http://www.playrequiem.com/

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Runes of Magic? I've seen games copy the WoW interface, but this takes the cake.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Do you want something like WoW? LotrO.
Do you want something 'harder' than WoW? EvE. (more risk and such)
Do you want something different? City of Heroes.
Do you want fantasy theme? Wait for darkfall.
Do you want sci-fi? Wait for TOR.
Do you want FPS? Wait for Huxley/The Agency/Global Agenda.

VaioStreams

May 7, 2008
I'm going to be real with you. Stay away from Final Fantasy 11. I'm a final fantasy fan and it almost hurts to say that. but that game is an abortion.

I'd wait for Star Wars: The Old Republic personally

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
VaioStreams said:
I'm going to be real with you. Stay away from Final Fantasy 11. I'm a final fantasy fan and it almost hurts to say that. but that game is an abortion.

I'd wait for Star Wars: The Old Republic personally
Abortion? You mean an abomination right?

Anyway I'm with you on FF11

WAR is good for PvP, but if you don't like that scene, well then I can't help you 'cos I don't have a very wide experience of mmos :)

ustice

Mar 20, 2008
DDO is something different. It's mostly team-based, and gets regular free updates. (lately they have been less frequent, but it is looking like there is something BIG coming soon) The game has an action-based combat system that plays almost like a platformer, and a great community. There is a 10-day free trial available on ddo.com. Most of the negative reviews that you will see are due to a shaky release, which has been fixed, and continues to constantly improve. Also, do not come into the game expecting Forgotten Realms (another big misconception that people had) It is set in the Eberron setting, which is very distinct and interesting. XP is not based on killing mobs and collecting items (although there is that too) but instead on completing quests. It's an instanced world, so you don't have random people stealing your loot (which is assigned anyway) and the main part of the game is non-PvP so no griefing. It does support PvP in death-match style play and capture the flag and pit brawls as well. Mod 9 (to be released really soon) will expand this.

I run a fan news site for it at http://ddoreports.com, so I'm sort of a big fan. If you are curious about the game, you can reach me at that site.

Fortesque

Jan 16, 2009
Id go Requiem, been playing that for a year now and I love it.

Its fun, loaded with blood and its FREE

Trushot

Mar 24, 2009
Yokomitsu said:
ive been through flyff, rappelz, corum, runescape, WOW and now i need a new one anyone got any suggestions??

On the MMO side .. I have played them All ... starting with Ultima online many years ago ... and text based muds before that as well as EQ, DOAC, COH, GW, SWG, CONAN, EQ2, EVE, Guildwars, WAR, 10SIX, DDO and a million others

DDO ... I did nto care for too much was fun but not Great --- with that said however LOTRO ( LORD OF THE RINGS ONLINE ) is another story .....

Lotro may be one of the most Unique MMO's I have ever played ... I signed up for a trial account early on and was like meh its alright and didnt play for awhile ... but I gave it another try about 6 months later and took a char up to level 20 ... I began to see how awesome the game really was ...

The Epic books story quest are an incrdible adventure all by themselves VERY IMMERSIVE AND REWARDING would be a great game just by themselves standalone but there is soooo much more!

everything else is gravy...

It has a MUSIC SYSTEM to play all sorts of instruments and add abc notations into your lotro music folder in windows and play your fav songs in game on tons of different instruments!

You can even sync up with other toons and play as a band ... pretty darn neat ... heh yestersay me and a guy played Dueling banjos and it was awesome ... even been rocking out on lutes and drums to def leapard tunes ( HYSTERIA /lol )... its unreal fun ...

the crafting is actually quite fun compared to a lot of games but still Not as detailed as I would prefer ...

If your into heavy raiding the game is not for you though ... it does have high end raids that are both fun and very challenging .. they are just not the best part of the game. This game more about path to the end not getting to the end which is a neat concept in a game for a change ... there is still plenty to do though after reaching max level ... the amount of quests and deeds and traits to acquire is mindboggling!

((((((GRAPHICS on DX10 ultra high .. are insane good ... prolly best in industry HANDS DOWN no contest ...)))))

hobiies could use a lot more work ... fishing is alright but not really satisying

I highly suggest anyone that has not tried it in awhile or not tried period - give the free trial a go ... its really a lot of fun ... It also has one of the most helpful and friendly communities of any MMO ive played ....

PvP I cannot comment on ... i just dont do it very often at all ... a lot do though ... its based on players vs . monsters ... you can roll monsters to play in the game as well and switch to play those chars and fight the player chars in the game which is kinda cool and a lot of people do it ... just not my thing

just as any MMO... it has its irritations sometimes but overall it really is a well designed game ... Ill prolly play it til 2010 when the new Star Wars MMO comes ... but even then Ill prolly split my time between the two ... I bought a Lifetime membership to LOTRO which means i can play until I die or the game dies and never pay another dime ... which is really cool for a MMO!

P.S. I noticed several people here refernce LOTRO as WOW clones ( i am fairly confident they never played past the free trial to say such ) ... There could be nothign further from the truth ... LOTRO IS a totally and extremely different game than WOW ... not even close .... and as someone that has been in the MMO community since Text based MUDS ( look up what they were heh ) WoW borrowed heavily from EQ that borrowed from Ultima online that borrowed from Text based Muds ...

WOW was NOT really that original some people think they invented MMO's or something becuase it was the first one they played I guess ... but it really is not that great of a game at all... it has bad graphics for starters which allows it to play on almost any machine ..
which lets them get the unreal subscription numbers out of asia ... and others with systems that could not handle modern MMOS ...

LOTRO is one of the more UNIQUE MMOS IVE EVER PLAYED ... I NOW OWN 4 LIFETIME ACCOUNTS :) and am purchasing two more accounts this week ... ( I AM A CLOSET MULTIBOXER :p )

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Warhammer Online. its a real good game, but i stopped to play WOTLK. but last i played there was alot of bugs, tho i think they have fixed the worst. only thing that dissapointed me was 4 classes was missing(they couldnt finish them in time, along with 4 capitals, but the classes is there now). there is 4 classes per race. meaning a total of 24 classes.

definitely worth a try.

Jupsto

Feb 8, 2008
if you want something not at all like wow. more like a UO/oblivion sandbox game with focus on large scale pvp with FPS combat.

darkfall!

note: it hasn't yet properly released very few people can buy the game atm

graphics are good considering its a 10,000 player game.

also check out upcoming MMO - mortal online. new trailer looks awesome simular to darkfall but much more realistic visually and great first person animations.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Trushot said:
LOTRO is one of the more UNIQUE MMOS IVE EVER PLAYED ... I NOW OWN 4 LIFETIME ACCOUNTS :) and am purchasing two more accounts this week ... ( I AM A CLOSET MULTIBOXER :p )
Talk about dedication or insanity...