Looking for a new RPG to play

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Hey guys, just kind of needing something to play through that has a Final Fantasy IV kinda vibe.

I have every Nintendo portable console right now if there is a series that I missed for my handhelds. I loved Golden Sun but I'm stuck waiting for a new installment now. One can also only play so much Pokemon. Believe me, I know my limits. ;)

Even if it isn't a handheld game, I just want to sink my teeth into an 8-bit or 16-bit turnbased adventure again. I don't really care if it is JRPG or WRPG or anything... I just have been feeling the urge to line up heroes in a row on screen and fight monsters.

Any suggestions?

thoughtwrangler

Sep 29, 2014
I've heard Bravely Default is really good, so there's that.

Also, I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light for the DS has that sort of Old-School Final Fantasy vibe. (Also, not related in any way to Final Fantasy IV, it's called that because of the 4 heroes)

Finding a WRPG with a Final Fantasy IV vibe would be somewhat difficult, but the sort may be out there. If I can think of anything, I'll let you know. It would probably be less about the bright colors, but have closer to a traditional fantasy aesthetic (which FF I - V were closer to.)

SoreWristed

Dec 26, 2014
Tales of Phantasia was a Gameboy advance game, basically has most of the elements you're looking for.

Not retro, or turnbased, but Tales of Innocence on the DS?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I would suggest Suikoden I and II, but I don't know if you have a Vita or not.

So, Bravely Default and Golden Sun: Dark Dawn are pretty awesome.

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
You surely must have an Android or an iPhone?
In that case, I urge you to try some of the kemco 16 bit rpgs. They are not as bad as people make it out to be. Some are actually good with interesting battle systems. Although kemco rpgs are usually short and the storylines are usually generic and they can be a bit too easy but considering their price and how often they go on sale for less than a dollar each i would download them all. For their price they are worth it. I have played a few of them and while some are not good, some are really good. So just check out the reviews before buying.

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
You surely must have an Android or an iPhone?
In that case, I urge you to try some of the kemco 16 bit rpgs. They are not as bad as people make it out to be. Some are actually good with interesting battle systems. Although kemco rpgs are usually short and the storylines are usually generic and they can be a bit too easy but considering their price and how often they go on sale for less than a dollar each i would download them all. For their price they are worth it. I have played a few of them and while some are not good, some are really good. So just check out the reviews before buying.

Ima Lemming

Jan 16, 2009
Cthulhu Saves the World on Steam costs $3 and comes bundled with another, albeit incredibly mediocre game.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Oh, there's this one turn-based JRPG called Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure. It was originally for the PS1 but they re-released it recently for the... DS I think. I have no friggin' idea where to find it but it's actually a fun (if short) little game with... songs! :D It's MUSICAL-- *shot*

thoughtwrangler

Sep 29, 2014
The thread isn't letting me quote, but if you're on a budget and don't feel like hunting for Nintendo DS/GBA titles, I'll second @mohit9206 for the Kemco RPG's on iOS/Android.

A few of them are free too. Magic Knight is pretty good, and I was playing it exclusively until I got other games on my iPod touch. I've heard that Symphony of Origin is supposed to be very good as well, though it's not free. Still Kemco runs sales pretty regularly and you might find them worth a look.

{sidenote: if you haven't played FF IV on the iPod yet, give it a shot when it's on sale. If you've only played the original, the 3D remake is fun to explore. If you've played the DS remake, this is essentially a higher-resolution version of it.)

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Last Dream (PC: Steam and some of the bundle sites)

James Recommends of Extra Credits talks about the game here.
[link]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn9vK3uPYig[/link]

I bought the game on sale and it's been well worth the money so far (I'm over 30 hours into it). It's got that classic FF3 (SNES) vibe being executed like the original FF. Lots to enjoy.

Pros:
- The ability to change encounter rates, difficulty and saving makes improves the experience depending on what you want to do. I regularly change encounter rates in particular based on my activity.

- Customizing your attributes is awesome! I've run into a few instances where I had to adjust difficulty because of my poor use of the system but it's been fun just the same.

- Built in optional combat macros are nice if not overly simplistic.

- Loads of replay value as it takes from the original FF and lets you choose a party for the whole game. You can even skip all cut-scenes for future playthroughs. My original party has been a Fighter, Monk, Engineer and White Mage. I STRONGLY recommend an engineer for your first time play. You'll appreciate what he offers even though he's not an iconic class archetype.

Cons:
- Soundtrack: It's all over the place and ranges from epic to okay to completely out of place to the point where I've muted it. To each their own but this is a mixed bag.

- Fishing: This is designed well but not executed well. It's a means of making gold but man does it ever get boring and tedious fast. I'd love to see a mod that simply lets you 'fish 50 times' in one action.

- Puzzles: This is mixed bag as well. Many of the early ones are excellent but they gradually get needlessly COMPLEX. Unless you like making your own maps on pen/paper then you'll want to get the free guide on this game for solutions. Even then, the solutions take pages of write ups and ages to complete. Thankfully, the more complex ones have been entirely optional thus far but I hate to let treasures go.

- Story. It started out strong enough but I've long since lost my personal investment before the end.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
babinro said:

James Recommends of Extra Credits talks about the game here.
[link]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn9vK3uPYig[/link]
I usually don't like JRPG Maker games, but I'll have to have a look at that.

Anyways for the OP if you're on Steam look for Trails in the Sky: Legendary Heroes or for an action JRPG Ys: The Oath in Felghana. These are PSP ports made by Nihon Falcom/XSeed, and are both great JRPG's in their own right. Ys was more fun while Trails is more the grand epic, part 1 in a trilogy with part 2 supposed to be out sometime soon.

Jan 27, 2011
babinro said:
You know, as someone who enjoys RPGmaker games and who also MAKES them...I tried to get into Last Dream, honestly I tried.

But the combat feels so incredibly archaic and samey that I couldn't force myself to play more than about 2 hours. That and the dialogue absolutely does not draw me in or make me care. :s The only thing that might make it worth it is the sheer size of the game, it's apparently freakin' massive.

If you're looking for something to rekindle nostalgia for Dragon Quest 1, or Final Fantasy 1-2, then sure, it'll do.

But equating it to anything like Final Fantasy 4, which actually had an engaging plot (moreso before Cecil becomes a paladin and suddenly becomes mister perfect) just doesn't sit right with me.

If anyone is looking for good RPGmaker games, I'd be far more likely to recommend the (free) Arum games by Indrah and Fomar over Last Dream. Fun dialogue, lovable characters, still being "real" RPGs with good plots despite the consistent application of humor, and interesting gameplay decisions that boil down to more than "Grind, get equipment/skills that increase my damage numbers and lower damage numbers I take".

That and I'd recommend my own (again, free) games as well, but posting links or names to them might be considered "advertising". I'm not taking any chances unless someone asks for 'em.

EDIT:
Ima Lemming said:
Cthulhu Saves the World on Steam costs $3 and comes bundled with another, albeit incredibly mediocre game.
You mean Breath of Death? I should get back to that game sometime. It was pretty flawed, but it had some good potential. I liked the fact that the stakes of battle go up every turn you drag it out. XD